throwback week

View Poll Results: If Chris Long is selected at #1, who should the Rams take at #2?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU

9 20.93%
  • Jake Long, OT, Michigan

9 20.93%
  • Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas

0 0%
  • Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College

0 0%
  • Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State

16 37.21%
  • Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC

2 4.65%
  • Someone else (who?)

0 0%
  • Trade the pick!

7 16.28%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Draft Poll (Version 3.0)

Okay, given that the first two polls resulted in an overwhelming majority for Chris Long, I'm going to pose the question differently this time:

If Chris Long goes #1 to Miami, who should the Rams take at pick #2?

Re: Draft Poll (Version 3.0)

I went with Gholston, who I think can be an immediate impact player as a rookie (i.e. 10+ sacks).

That said, I still am not certain that Dorsey should not be our pick. I fear that he could present a Eddie Jones/Dwyane Wade scenario. Allow me to explain.

A few years back, the Heat had the #5 pick in the draft. At the time, they had Eddie Jones, a SG who had been an All-Star and was their leading scorer. Nonetheless, they selected Dwyane Wade who (though he was tried at PG) is essentially a SG. Worked out pretty well, I think all would agree.

That's a pretty good argument for the Best Player Available approach.

Still, until Dorsey truly wows the scouts at the combine/individual workouts, I'm going to stick with Gholston, who is a great prospect and a need-filler.

A DL rotation of:

DE: Gholston/Hall
    UT: Carriker/Ryan
    NT: Ryan/Carriker
    DE: Little/Adeyanju

sounds pretty good to me.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I voted Dorsey for the reason that he was the most promising prospect to start this year, and other than for a banged up knee, he was dominant on the inside against both run and pass.

I wanted to say trade the pick, but trading requires more than one party and I'm not sure if we could find one. I also think that Gholston would be a fine pick, but only in the 5-7 range at the moment. That could all change at the combine and pro days, but with the value as it is right now, Gholston is not second pick quality and Dorsey is.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

If we could trade down with the Falcons, Raiders, or Chiefs, and garner a high #2 pick, (we might have to throw in this year's 5th rd .. darn there goes Pac-man) then I could see passing on Dorsey. If no trade opportunity materializes, then Dorsey would be my choice. One thing is sure, Gholston barring an injury will really wow at the combine, which certainly won't hurt him.

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Draft by need = Gholston

Draft to shake up the board = McFadden

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I think its too early for Gholston. I was tempted to say Dorsey but he isn't a need. I almost said Long, but he will have little impact with healthy tackles unless we move him to guard. So i said trade down get more picks and still land Gholston

viper is offline Registered User

I went with Gholston. The pass rush is our biggest need and he fits the bill. I'd prefer to trade down to get him. But, if that isn't available I would pull the trigger. I won't be upset if we go with Dorsey or Ellis either. As Av and others have pointed out, there are some positives to that strategy as well. My first choice remains Chris Long.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    A few years back, the Heat had the #5 pick in the draft. At the time, they had Eddie Jones, a SG who had been an All-Star and was their leading scorer. Nonetheless, they selected Dwyane Wade who (though he was tried at PG) is essentially a SG. Worked out pretty well, I think all would agree.
    I'm a huge Laker fan (about as long as the Rams): Eddie Jones was a first round draft pick of the Lakers many moons ago. I've kinda lost track of him. Do you know what's become of Mr. Jonesy?
    BTW you're analogy of Wade/Jones and BTP/Dorsey is a compelling one. Let's hope that Chris Long is there so we don't have to sweat it.

WHAT SAY YE?

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I've gone with trade down. Preferably, we'd trade down to a spt where Gholston would likely still be available. I think that right now, pending the results of the combine, he at least lasts until pick six, which belongs to the J-E-T-S.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, there is a guy on AM 1300 the Zone here in Austin that plays for the Vikings on the O line saying that he thinks Chis Long is going to get pushed around by OT's in the NFL. He doesn't think he's strong or fast enough to make an impact in the NFL. Of everyone on this list, only Dorsey has the ability to make an immediate impact on the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    I'm a huge Laker fan (about as long as the Rams): Eddie Jones was a first round draft pick of the Lakers many moons ago. I've kinda lost track of him.
    He's currently playing for the Mavericks.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I think the top option would be a trade down. Assuming we can't do that - it's always easier said than done - I think Jake Long is currently the best combination of value and need. I'm very interested to see how he works out this week and if he displays the foot quickness and agility that left tackles need at the next level.

serkicker32 Guest

I remember hearing before the national title game that the anouncers were comparing Dorsey's ability to lift his teams play with Ray Lewis. As I watched the game one thing I noticed is that when Dorsey's emotions got ahold of him in the second or third series the whole defense changed. That is one of those intangables that cant be measured and can make our defense one of the best. For those reasons I would take Dorsey.

Rammed is offline Registered User

Voted Jake Long (in this scenario)

Think he's the best bet.

What do we expect from Pace (injury) and Barron (mentally) coming season.
    Trading one of them might be an option. Although I'll be sad to see Big O go but this is Pro Football and he still has some value now.

mde8352gorams is online now Registered User

I voted Jake Long as he represents a need as much as a pass rusher. There are questions about Orlando coming back and if he does how good will he be. Barron although he's a disaster with penalties has the athleticism and body to play LT fairly well. Long could fit in nicely at RT where many believe he will thrive in the NFL as they feel he's not athletic enough to match up against the faster DE's. One article called him the next Jon Runyon. We would have our bookend OT's for many years to come.

As for Chris Long, I've read that some scouts feel he's maxed out at 275 and his frame will not handle more weight allowing him to blossom in the NFL. If that is the read on Chris Long, why would we even consider Gholston who's smaller. Plus he's not a value pick at #2 and all the comments about a trade down are speculative. You need some team willing to trade up and it's not looking like the type of draft where teams are willing to do that.

Go Rams!:r

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast