View Poll Results: Which test would you want to see most?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jake Matthews run blocking against Jadeveon Clowney

    2 8.00%
  • Greg Robinson pass blocking against Jadeveon Clowney

    10 40.00%
  • Justin Gilbert covering Mike Evans

    2 8.00%
  • Darqueze Dennard covering Sammy Watkins

    3 12.00%
  • Johnny Manziel passing in 7 on 7 from the pocket

    1 4.00%
  • Calvin Pryor or Hasean Clinton-Dix deep zone drill vs. Watkins/Evans

    7 28.00%
  • Lamarcus Joyner red zone drill vs. Kelvin Benjamin

    0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Draft Prospect Test That Would Never Happen, But You'd Love to See

  1. #1
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,952
    Rep Power
    170

    Draft Prospect Test That Would Never Happen, But You'd Love to See

    Which would you want to see the most?


  2. #2
    Tampa_Ram's Avatar
    Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bat Yam, Israel
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,957
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: Draft Prospect Test That Would Never Happen, But You'd Love to See

    Good question. I had to go with Robinson vs. Clowney in pass blocking. That is a bigger question mark than the rest.


  3. #3
    turbofargo's Avatar
    turbofargo is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    421
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Draft Prospect Test That Would Never Happen, But You'd Love to See

    Those are all highly interesting choices. My pick was Watkins V Dennard. Simply because I am advocating both for the draft and if both showed extreme promise then my validation could be assured in going Watkins 2, Dennard 13, conversely if something showed to raise a red flag or two adjustments could be made. Kind of stating the obvious with that, but still. Be a great show to see!!!

  4. #4
    cowboyhater's Avatar
    cowboyhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Rockford, Illinois
    Posts
    433
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Draft Prospect Test That Would Never Happen, But You'd Love to See

    Is Dennard related to L.A. Rams possession receiver Preston Dennard?

  5. #5
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,952
    Rep Power
    170

    Re: Draft Prospect Test That Would Never Happen, But You'd Love to See

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyhater View Post
    Is Dennard related to L.A. Rams possession receiver Preston Dennard?
    No, but his cousin is Alfonzo Dennard, a CB with New England.

    In looking that up, I also learned that his nickname at MSU was "no fly zone."

  6. #6
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,695
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Draft Prospect Test That Would Never Happen, But You'd Love to See

    It's pretty obvious what I'd like to see, but for some reason it's not on the list. Jake Mathews pass blocking against Jadaveon Clowney would be by far the most exciting match up on this board.

    In light of that ommission however, I guess I'll take the next best option, and that is Jake Mathews run blocking against Clowney.

  7. #7
    Sauceman's Avatar
    Sauceman is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    146
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Draft Prospect Test That Would Never Happen, But You'd Love to See

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    It's pretty obvious what I'd like to see, but for some reason it's not on the list. Jake Mathews pass blocking against Jadaveon Clowney would be by far the most exciting match up on this board.

    In light of that omission however, I guess I'll take the next best option, and that is Jake Mathews run blocking against Clowney.
    I'm pretty sure the logic behind the choices for the prospects is, we know that Matthews can pass block and we know that Robinson can run block. That is each of their anticipated strengths (very generically). The exercise would test each of their expected weaknesses against the top prospect that they could face.

    That being said, it would still be a treat to watch Robinson run block and Matthews pass block.
    HUbison and laram0 like this.

  8. #8
    FestusRam's Avatar
    FestusRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Festus, Missouri
    Posts
    1,281
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: Draft Prospect Test That Would Never Happen, But You'd Love to See

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I also learned that his nickname at MSU was "no fly zone."
    Lets just say that I now want the Rams to draft him so I can yell "NO FLY ZONEEEE" at the tv every time he defends a pass or gets an interception.

    What an awesome nickname for a CB.

  9. #9
    FestusRam's Avatar
    FestusRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Festus, Missouri
    Posts
    1,281
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: Draft Prospect Test That Would Never Happen, But You'd Love to See

    Unless Clowney is getting paid for this I can't personally draw any accurate conclusions. So, on that note, ill pass on any drill involving him.


    Pryor in a deep-zone drill vs Watkins/Evans would is my first choice, by far. That would be a lot of fun to watch.
    Mikey likes this.

  10. #10
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,695
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Draft Prospect Test That Would Never Happen, But You'd Love to See

    Quote Originally Posted by Sauceman View Post
    I'm pretty sure the logic behind the choices for the prospects is, we know that Matthews can pass block and we know that Robinson can run block. That is each of their anticipated strengths (very generically). The exercise would test each of their expected weaknesses against the top prospect that they could face.

    That being said, it would still be a treat to watch Robinson run block and Matthews pass block.
    Point taken.

    Still rather see perceived strengths against strengths.

  11. #11
    mde8352gorams's Avatar
    mde8352gorams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,816
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: Draft Prospect Test That Would Never Happen, But You'd Love to See

    Justin Gilbert covering Mike Evans or Dennard covering Evans even though that wasn't a choice. Basically want to see Evans ability to make contested catches against good pass coverage.

    Go Rams!

  12. #12
    Sauceman's Avatar
    Sauceman is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    146
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Draft Prospect Test That Would Never Happen, But You'd Love to See

    To expand on (what I assume is) Avenger's logic behind the choices:

    Jake Matthews vs Jadaveon Clowney (Run Block) -
    Jake Matthews is anticipated to be a flexible lineman who's strengths are pass blocking, athleticisim, and intelligence. Although those can factor into run blocking, winning the battle requires a tough point of attack and superior strength. This also allows us to see Clowney play the run, since his specialty is his pass rush skills.

    Greg Robinson vs Jadaveon Clowney (Pass Block) -
    Greg Robinson is anticipated to be the stronger more physically gifted of the two big OT's, with a big strength in the run game. His big question mark is whether or not he can keep up with the pass rush in the NFL. As for Clowney, we'd get to see his strength against an elite prospect.

    Justin Gilbert vs Mike Evans -
    Justin Gilbert may be the best CB prospect in the game, due to his speed and athleticism. He can stick with just about any speedster in the NFL. That being said, the NFL is going more vertical, so seeing him cover a 6'5'' monster would really help us determine if this is the best CB in the draft. As for Mike Evans, we get to see him against a top corner prospect that he definitely won't run by. It would give us a look at what other tools (see: size) he can use to beat NFL corners.

    Darqueze Dennard vs Sammy Watkins -
    Darqueze Dennard is coming in as an amazing press corner who can lock up the short and intermediate routes. Watching him cover a WR who has the speed to beat him deep and the ability to make a great cut on a deep route (consider the deep dig from the GSoT) would help us find out what Dennard can do in the NFL. We also get to see Watkins compete against a CB would will jam him and smother his first few steps. Can he beat a strong corner on a short/intermediate route?

    Johnny Manziel vs 7v7 drill -
    Manziel was one of the more electrifying QBs last year on his feet. He's got a great arm, but alot of his better passes came when coverage broke down on his scramble. Seeing him run this drill would allow us to see his timing, precision, and ability to beat good coverage.

    Calvin Pryor/HaHa Clinton-Dix vs Watkins/Evans (Deep Zone) -
    I'd like to break this down even further, though it's understandable wanting to see both top Safeties in a deep coverage against a top deep threat. Here's what I'd rather see:

    ----- Calvin Pryor vs Watkins (Deep Zone) - Pryor is a hitter who can punish you and may be more suited to play near the line of scrimmage. Seeing him against a deep threat in the deep zone could help alot of people find out who he really is.

    ----- HaHa Clinton-Dix vs Evans (Bubblescreen) or vs RB Toss Sweep - We know Clinton-Dix is a center fielder with all of the range you want in the deep backfield. I think his big question mark is how he does against the run and what he looks like in a 1v1 tackling drill.

    Lamarcus Joyner vs Kelvin Benjamin (Red Zone) -
    It's pretty simple to see why this is an option. How does a 5'8'' CB cover a 6'5'' WR fade or quick slant in the red zone? I don't really see this as competitive, but I don't know much about Joyner. Then again, from what I've read on Benjamin, it could be a fair battle, since he'd need to catch the ball...
    Randart likes this.

  13. #13
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,538
    Rep Power
    45

    Re: Draft Prospect Test That Would Never Happen, But You'd Love to See

    Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    Lets just say that I now want the Rams to draft him so I can yell "NO FLY ZONEEEE" at the tv every time he defends a pass or gets an interception.

    What an awesome nickname for a CB.
    I've heard at least 10 CB's/CB corps call themselves the "No fly zone". How unoriginal.


    THE DREAM TEAM

  14. #14
    Mikey's Avatar
    Mikey is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,173
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Draft Prospect Test That Would Never Happen, But You'd Love to See

    I would like to see the Pryor/Dix covering deep. That position being upgraded will do the most for our defense. It lets JJ and Tru play a style they're more suited for in press. It also gives our great pass rush a little more time to get to the QB. FS is the biggest upgrade we need on defense IMO.

  15. #15
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,952
    Rep Power
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauceman View Post
    To expand on (what I assume is) Avenger's logic behind the choices:

    Jake Matthews vs Jadaveon Clowney (Run Block) -
    Jake Matthews is anticipated to be a flexible lineman who's strengths are pass blocking, athleticisim, and intelligence. Although those can factor into run blocking, winning the battle requires a tough point of attack and superior strength. This also allows us to see Clowney play the run, since his specialty is his pass rush skills.

    Greg Robinson vs Jadaveon Clowney (Pass Block) -
    Greg Robinson is anticipated to be the stronger more physically gifted of the two big OT's, with a big strength in the run game. His big question mark is whether or not he can keep up with the pass rush in the NFL. As for Clowney, we'd get to see his strength against an elite prospect.

    Justin Gilbert vs Mike Evans -
    Justin Gilbert may be the best CB prospect in the game, due to his speed and athleticism. He can stick with just about any speedster in the NFL. That being said, the NFL is going more vertical, so seeing him cover a 6'5'' monster would really help us determine if this is the best CB in the draft. As for Mike Evans, we get to see him against a top corner prospect that he definitely won't run by. It would give us a look at what other tools (see: size) he can use to beat NFL corners.

    Darqueze Dennard vs Sammy Watkins -
    Darqueze Dennard is coming in as an amazing press corner who can lock up the short and intermediate routes. Watching him cover a WR who has the speed to beat him deep and the ability to make a great cut on a deep route (consider the deep dig from the GSoT) would help us find out what Dennard can do in the NFL. We also get to see Watkins compete against a CB would will jam him and smother his first few steps. Can he beat a strong corner on a short/intermediate route?

    Johnny Manziel vs 7v7 drill -
    Manziel was one of the more electrifying QBs last year on his feet. He's got a great arm, but alot of his better passes came when coverage broke down on his scramble. Seeing him run this drill would allow us to see his timing, precision, and ability to beat good coverage.

    Calvin Pryor/HaHa Clinton-Dix vs Watkins/Evans (Deep Zone) -
    I'd like to break this down even further, though it's understandable wanting to see both top Safeties in a deep coverage against a top deep threat. Here's what I'd rather see:

    ----- Calvin Pryor vs Watkins (Deep Zone) - Pryor is a hitter who can punish you and may be more suited to play near the line of scrimmage. Seeing him against a deep threat in the deep zone could help alot of people find out who he really is.

    ----- HaHa Clinton-Dix vs Evans (Bubblescreen) or vs RB Toss Sweep - We know Clinton-Dix is a center fielder with all of the range you want in the deep backfield. I think his big question mark is how he does against the run and what he looks like in a 1v1 tackling drill.

    Lamarcus Joyner vs Kelvin Benjamin (Red Zone) -
    It's pretty simple to see why this is an option. How does a 5'8'' CB cover a 6'5'' WR fade or quick slant in the red zone? I don't really see this as competitive, but I don't know much about Joyner. Then again, from what I've read on Benjamin, it could be a fair battle, since he'd need to catch the ball...
    Spot on. Well done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Who is the 3rd best OT prospect in the draft?
    By AvengerRam in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: -01-28-2013, 01:11 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: -04-19-2009, 02:50 AM
  3. This may happen on Draft Day....
    By starfoxx in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: -04-23-2008, 08:31 PM
  4. New Draft prospect
    By itsguud in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: -02-22-2008, 08:09 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •