MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Draft Question ???

Several years ago the Vikings either screwed up or deliberately let the clock run out during their 1st rd selection. The next team in line turned in a pick and the Vikes "lost" their turn, however, they (the Vikes) were able to jump back in line later and make their first round selection. I don't remember the exact circumstances, but it confused everyone at the time -- even the announcers ..

My question: Can a team simply bow out of its pick by letting the clock run out of the time allotted and then jump back in line whenever it wishes? I would love for someone to clarify this issue. If this were allowed, a team could drop down in the draft and pay less for a player than they would if they had stayed in their original draft slot. Nick?? Where are you man?

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Draft Question ???

Each team has a time limit for their pick. If a team (Team A, for instance) does not make their pick in that time, the next team is on the clock. If the next team picks before Team A makes their selection, then the following team in the draft order is on the clock. But Team A can make their selection at any point after that.

Now, does Team A get to sign their player for a lesser price? I don't think any competent agent is going to want to play that game.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Each team has a time limit for their pick. If a team (Team A, for instance) does not make their pick in that time, the next team is on the clock. If the next team picks before Team A makes their selection, then the following team in the draft order is on the clock. But Team A can make their selection at any point after that.
    So they could drop five or six slots and jump in whenever they felt like it?

Now, does Team A get to sign their player for a lesser price? I don't think any competent agent is going to want to play that game.
    Let's see if I understand correctly: If a team drops from #2 overall in rd 1 all the way to #7 in rd one, the NFL would still record the player as having been taken with the second overall pick, and therefore his agent would demand 2nd overall money?

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Let's see if I understand correctly: If a team drops from #2 overall in rd 1 all the way to #7 in rd one, the NFL would still record the player as having been taken with the second overall pick, and therefore his agent would demand 2nd overall money?
    I believe the NFL officially records the selection at the slot when it's made. For instance, Minnesota was supposed to pick 7th in 2003 but their time expired and they selected after Jacksonville and Carolina. The NFL officially recorded it as the ninth pick.

But if I'm an agent for that player, there's no way I'm agreeing to a deal for the ninth slot when I was selected by the team that had the seventh pick if not for their own inability to make the pick in time.

Also, I don't think the league would look kindly on a team purposely letting their time expire in order to pay less for a player contract. I suspect Goodell would not be very happy about such a tactic.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I believe the NFL officially records the selection at the slot when it's made. For instance, Minnesota was supposed to pick 7th in 2003 but their time expired and they selected after Jacksonville and Carolina. The NFL officially recorded it as the ninth pick.

But if I'm an agent for that player, there's no way I'm agreeing to a deal for the ninth slot when I was selected by the team that had the seventh pick if not for their own inability to make the pick in time.

Also, I don't think the league would look kindly on a team purposely letting their time expire in order to pay less for a player contract. I suspect Goodell would not be very happy about such a tactic.
    MauiRam brings up a great "SCHEME".

I agree with Nick concerning the players agent. The agent and the player would have to be on board with the "scheme" prior to the draft. Is this legal?

Goodell wouldn't be happy but oh well...

itsguud is offline Registered User

how can Goodell even say anything about this. It is his own lack of control over rookie salariers that has pushed so many teams to look for a way to drop back and also making them unable ot find ways to do so.

As for the agents. screw em. If they are not willing to sign the player at the price that a team wants them for but no other team is willing to trade up for them at that same price then aren't they #$@! out of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    how can Goodell even say anything about this. It is his own lack of control over rookie salariers that has pushed so many teams to look for a way to drop back and also making them unable ot find ways to do so.
    I don't believe Goodell can just enforce a rookie wage scale by himself; it has to be agreed upon between the league and the player's union as part of the CBA. Right now they're probably more focused on making sure there's an actual salary cap for the future rather than implementing a rookie wage scale.

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    As for the agents. screw em. If they are not willing to sign the player at the price that a team wants them for but no other team is willing to trade up for them at that same price then aren't they #$@! out of luck.
    Actually if the player does not sign with the team he can hold out through the season and I believe he re-enters the next year's draft class. It would be in both of their interests - the player and the team - to find common ground, but I don't think the team could sit there and not budge on principle when they intentionally let time expire as a way to leverage a deal with less money. It's kind of a shady way to try and get around paying a contract appropriate for your draft slot, and I doubt many agents would play ball since that means less money for their client and less commission for them.