Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: The draft really should be moved back earlier .. LaCanfora gets in the stupidity

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

The draft really should be moved back earlier .. LaCanfora gets in the stupidity

Then again, La Canfora joined in the stupidity when he was born...

La Canfora: There are people in the league who believe the Rams have had conversations with the Vikings about trading Sam Bradford.

Can the draft start already?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: The draft really should be moved back earlier .. LaCanfora gets in the stupidity

Imagine this.... The Rams sent Bradford to Minnesota and took Manziel. All of Rams nations hearts would stop.
    lostsoul likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Re: The draft really should be moved back earlier .. LaCanfora gets in the stupidity

I swear these guys are sitting at their computer desks with a couple of D & D dice rolling them and whatever comes up is the story. "I strike the viking with my sword of Bradford!"

lostsoul is offline Registered User

Im guessing i'm the only rams fan who wants Manziel.
    Brett Hundley Bandwagon 8/24/2014

Rambos is offline Registered User

Rumor Mill

NFL Draft: Vikings In Trade Talks With Rams For Sam Bradford

La Canfora: There are people in the league who believe the Rams have had conversations with the Vikings about trading Sam Bradford.
    — Tim McKernan (@tmckernan) May 5, 2014

Tim McKernan is a fairly well respected sports talk guy here in town, so I don't think this is just one of those wild rumors people throw out, just to see what sticks. I had seen a couple of real nebulous tweets on my timeline over the weekend that mentioned a trade near the top of the draft, involving a quarterback, and that it would send ripples throughout the NFL.

Yeah, check, check, and check on all accounts. As a guy that lives in St. Louis, let me give you a little perspective on Sam Bradford--I really like him, but as a guy that made $50 million guaranteed, he's starting to wear out his welcome here. It's not nearly as bad as the Ponder situation in Minnesota, but there's a growing sentiment of discontent among a vocal portion of the fan base.

He hasn't had much to work with in his four years with the Rams, and a lot of that discontent is with the team in general, at least I think so. Of course, the QB takes all the blame and gets all the credit, so a lot of arrows are headed in Bradford's direction. He's also been hurt twice in his four year, to include a torn ACL last year.

That was really unfortunate for him, though, as he really seemed to make a lot of strides. At the time of his injury, which came in the 7th game of the year, he had thrown for 1,687 yards, 14 TD passes, only four interceptions, and a career high QB rating of 90.9.

So is this something that could make sense? Yeah, it could. Bradford is a big, pocket passer guy--almost a prototypical Norv Turner quarterback, if he could pick one. Big arm, smart, and has enough experience running an NFL offense. So yeah, I believe Bradford is a guy that the Vikings could be targeting in a trade.

But at what cost? The thing that makes me think that this isn't going to happen is because it really could really limit the Vikings on draft day. To get Bradford, as TVA pointed out, first off he'd have to re-structure his contract, as he is due to make close to $18 million this year.

But secondly, how would a Bradford trade work? Currently the Rams have two first round picks, the second and the 13th. If the Rams are targeting a QB in the draft, they can pick one at two, or they can pick one at 13. Coaxing a trade out of the Vikings isn't going to require the Rams to move up or down, negating the swapping of picks in either direction.

However, Turf Show Times is reporting a lot of smoke attached to the Rams and Johnny Manziel, and while the second pick is probably too early to take him, the thirteenth is probably too late. Which means the eighth pick...the Vikings pick...could be right in the Manziel wheelhouse. And that could really put this rumor into play.

I don't think there's any way Minnesota would trade their first round pick for Bradford straight up, but would the Rams be foolish enough to let him go for one of the third round picks the Vikes hold? I don't see that as a real possibility, either, because if they did that would leave them with only two quarterback on their roster, Austin Davis and Shaun Hill, neither of which are guys I'd want to start the season with. And then whoever they drafted, naturally.

When looking at this, there's a couple things that make me think this is a possibility, but there are more red flags that make me think this isn't feasible, unless other players would be involved.

Like...ahem...and this is my own, wild, unsubstantiated speculation that hasn't been confirmed by anyone, just so we're clear...Christian Ponder, for example. Ponder needs a new start, Bradford arguably needs a new one away from St. Louis. Swap QB's, Vikings throw in a late round pick, say a 4th or 5th rounder. Bradford re-does his deal, plus the Vikings lose the money from Ponder's cap number (just over $3 million), and now this seems doable.

At the end of the day, I still don't see this happening, but when you throw in that McKernan tweet, add in the 'Manziel and Rams' smoke, and a wheeler and dealer like GM Rick Spielman, anything is possible.

Anything.
    “It’s a hard job. If these guys don’t play well, don’t produce, if too many get hurt, you’re probably not going to have a job. It’s almost like politicians – I wish they would make decisions on one term in office. GMs have to get out of the way of politics, get out of the way of long term, do what they think is right for the team.”
    Last edited by Rambos; -05-05-2014 at 02:03 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

We, of course, all know that the 5 year study conducted by the Dacity Institute, a subsidiary of AvengerRam, Inc., has concluded that Jason La Canfora is always wrong.

That said, let's do a Daniel Tosh-style breakdown of his comment.

There are people in the league

What does this mean? Are we talking about people who cover the league, or people who work for an NFL team? If its the latter, in what capacity? Front office personnel? Coach? Scout? Security guard?

who believe

"Believe." Not "know"... "believe." What does that mean? That they have said "its possible that this happened" or that they heard it second or third hand? What is the basis for their "belief"?

the Rams have had conversations with the Vikings about trading Sam Bradford.

The word "conversation" could mean many things. It could mean a negotiation, or it could mean that one party (i.e. the Vikings) brought up the subject, and the other party (i.e. the Rams) summarily rejected the notion.

Based upon La Canfora's track record (which includes publishing a false report that the Rams had decided not to offer a long term deal to Bradford, only to retract the article hours later when it was refuted by Les Snead), I think the most likely conclusion is that La Canfora is simply making things up.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Ok......I'm going to say this.....very....slowly......

No

Freakin'

Chance.

But HUb, but HUb....

uh-uh. I'll say it again.....

No

Freakin'

Chance.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rammiser is offline Registered User

I don't really find this that far fetched to be quite honest. The Rams would get the Vikings 1st round pick and the Vikings get a qb. I'm a Bradford supporter but its not like he has set the world on fire. I'm sure there are people in the Rams organization who have lost some faith in Bradford. Whether there really has been talks who knows but this isnt out of the realm of possibility.
    lostsoul likes this.
    Just Fix It

Rambos is offline Registered User

If they gave us their 8 and second and third, I have to still say no.
    Last edited by Rambos; -05-05-2014 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    I don't really find this that far fetched to be quite honest. The Rams would get the Vikings 1st round pick and the Vikings get a qb. I'm a Bradford supporter but its not like he has set the world on fire. I'm sure there are people in the Rams organization who have lost some faith in Bradford. Whether there really has been talks who knows but this isnt out of the realm of possibility.
    Actually, its pretty close to outside the realm of possiblity, given that Sam's base salary for 2014 is about $3M more than the Viking's current cap space.

Rotoworld added this to the "story":

"Rams people have denied any conversations whatsoever," La Canfora allowed
    So we have "people in the league" vs. "Rams people."

It is indeed the silly season.

I don't believe it.. but who knows!?

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I don't believe it.. but who knows!?
    Its a pretty good bet that Jason Liar Canfora does NOT know.
    sosa39rams likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    I don't really find this that far fetched to be quite honest. The Rams would get the Vikings 1st round pick and the Vikings get a qb.
    But that's not what we're talking about....
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim McKernan
    I don't think there's any way Minnesota would trade their first round pick for Bradford straight up
    I wouldn't give Bradford to Minnesota for the #8 pick. I, for durn sure, wouldn't do it for less than that.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Its a pretty good bet that Jason Liar Canfora does NOT know.
    His demise since leaving NFLN has been very quick and sad.

THE DREAM TEAM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast