Thread: Draft Saturday

rams37 is offline Registered User

Draft Saturday

we need to moveup, i honestly think we need to get either AJ Hawk, Michael Huff, or Vernon Davis no one else will do.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Draft Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by rams37
    we need to moveup, i honestly think we need to get either AJ Hawk, Michael Huff, or Vernon Davis no one else will do.
    I somewhat agree, I don't think we'll be DOOMED if we don't get them, but its definitely a wise decision to do so, let's put it that way, and welcome the boards

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

harrydog is offline Registered User

I think it would be foolish to move up to pick Davis.

chiguy is offline Registered User

If that's the case, then you're going to be disappointed. The only one we have a reasonable shot at is Huff. None of those guys is worth moving up a ton for given the depth of this draft and our team needs, in my opinion, so I hope the team doesn't see it through your eyes.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

We don't want Davis. Way too high to take a Tight End. Jay Novacek was drafted in the Sixth Round. Good Tight Ends can be had anywhere in the Draft.

We should be aggressive and make it happen to bring Hawk or Huff home.

1) Hawk
    2) Huff
    3) Mario Williams

In the 11th spot... Ngata.

If we don't get those guys we should fall back, but I think it would be MUCH preferred to go after Hawk or Huff.

We are different from many of the the teams picking near the top-10. We have a great Nucleus already: Bulger, Jackson, Holt, Pace, Faulk, Curtis, Little, etc.

With NFL windows being shorter due to Free Agency.. we have a shot.. Another DB or DL that is going to take 3 or 4 years to develop is NOT going to help us. That's the last thing we need. We need a difference maker or two that can contribute and play at a high level sooner rather than later.

Personally, I think Hawk or Huff is just what the Doctor ordered. Of course, I will still celebrate Saturday Night if we obtain Mario Williams or Ngata.

IF we Can't get Hawk, Huff, Mario, or Ngata then we should drop back and work a deal (there's a million ways to skin a cat)
    to get a later first and a early second (we'll
    have to add a later pick to the mix) And with the early 2nd pick we should take
    OG, MAX Jean Giles - the top rated Guard in the Draft.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Tye Hill, DeMeco Ryans, Bobby Carpenter, Haloti Ngata, and Leonard Pope would all make me happy if we picked them somewhere in the first round.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Defense, defense, defense. Come on guys. Vernon Davis is the ONLY reason we should trade up. His blocking and receiving ability would give us such flexibility on offense, that defensive coordinators around the league will once again fear the Rams coming into town. We can get good defensive help in our needs column in the second and third round. Beyond that, we need offensive line help in the interior line first, then depth at the tackle position.
    I'm telling ya, Vernon Davis will do for the Rams what Gates did for the Chargers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    Defense, defense, defense. Come on guys. Vernon Davis is the ONLY reason we should trade up. His blocking and receiving ability would give us such flexibility on offense, that defensive coordinators around the league will once again fear the Rams coming into town. We can get good defensive help in our needs column in the second and third round. Beyond that, we need offensive line help in the interior line first, then depth at the tackle position.
    I'm telling ya, Vernon Davis will do for the Rams what Gates did for the Chargers.
    With all due respect to Gates, one of the primary reasons he has been such a focus of that offense is because the best receiver other than him on the team is a running back. Even Antonio Gates wouldn't be to the Rams what Antonio Gates is to the Chargers because we also have receivers who can get open. And while Davis looked good in blocking drills at the Combine, that wasn't exactly his forte in college. I like Davis, but if we move up to take him we're not going to have a second and a third to draft defense (unless you meant we were going to use something else to trade with).

I think our offense is good enough to run with the best of them if the line gels and people stay healthy. It could easily be a top five unit this year without Davis. As bad as we were last year, we still ranked 9th in total offense...and 30th in defense. Let's see here: top 10, bottom 3. I know what we need: a TIGHT END! If only we had Davis or Gates last year...we still would have allowed the most points in the league. I really would enjoy seeing him in a Rams uniform, but I don't think it's in the best interests of the team to trade up for him

harrydog is offline Registered User

I don't even think Davis is the best receiving TE in the draft. What sets him apart from the rest of the TE's are his measurables. That great, but it isn't a guarantee of success in the NFL.
    We should not use our first pick on a TE. No way. Absolutely not. Especially since there will be other very good TE's available in later rounds.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

If the Rams take a TE in the first round, it better be equivalent to Kellen Winslow...the one from Mizzou not Miami.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

In my opinion the only two players to trade up for would be Hawk or Williams, & either one would come at a heavy price unless they fall from projections. I think we stay put or trade down if the right player is not there at 11. The right players being Ngata, Huff or Bunkley & yes even Davis if he were to fall in to are laps, but no way do we trade up for Davis. Trade down will give us more flexability and could find some real gems in the 2nd & 3rd rounds. The draft is really a crap shoot anyway, the key is to find the player to fit the scheme.