View Poll Results: Which Draft Plan Do You Currently Prefer?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • "The Smith Plan"

20 48.78%
  • "Curry Favor"

13 31.71%
  • "MC Hammer"

7 17.07%
  • "Marc and Mark"

1 2.44%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Draft Scenarios - Which Do You Lean Towards?

I'm thinking that there are four plausible early draft scenarios. They are:

Conservative ("The Smith Plan")
    O Line needs an upgrade. Most feel that Andre Smith is the best O lineman available. Seems like a simple formula, no? It also leaves a lot of good options to the continue the "get bigger on the interior" approach in Round 2, including looking at the center position (Mack, Unger), OG (H.Johnson) or NT (Brace).

BPA-Defense ("Curry Favor")
    Aaron Curry is likely to be the consensus pick as BPA overall, and most would at least give him that designation on defense. He could fit in nicely at SLB, with Will Witherspoon moving to WLB and the MLB position being filled in a later round (S.McKillop in Rd. 3, perhaps) or FA. This would be a value pick, but other needs (O line in particular) would have to be filled in FA or Rd. 2 (will there be any good OTs left?)

BPA-Offense ("MC Hammer")
    There are some who think that Michael Crabtree is the special player in this draft. I'm not convinced yet (not, at least, until I see 40 time). But can the Rams really afford to go WR with the 2nd pick, and would a coach like Spags even think of going in that direction. Two things are certain (1) if the Rams take MC, they'll have their work cut out for them to fill the rest of the holes elsewhere, and (2) MC better not list Plaxico Burress as his role model.

Franchise QB ("Marc and Mark")
    Did I mention that I'm presuming that Matthew Stafford will go #1 to the Lions? That leaves Mark Sanchez as the next QB in the draft. In my book, he's the best prospect at the position. Many disagree. Here's a trivia question... who was the last QB taken by the Rams in the first round? (Jim Everett, who was a first rounder acquired in a post-draft trade, is not technically the answer) Could Sanchez be the next long-term Rams starter? And, if so, who'll keep him upright?

I'm going with Option 1 right now. Option 2 is tempting, and could become my choice if the Rams could sign a significant OL in FA. Option 3 will never be my choice (you can take that one to the bank). Option 4??? Well, again it would require an aggressive FA period, but I won't say absolutely not.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Re: Draft Scenarios - Which Do You Lean Towards?

The Smith Plan would be my choice, due to the lack of consistency on the offensive line. The way I see it, The Curry Factor would be my next option. As badly as the line needs to be addressed, we are also thin at LB. As of now, Crabtree can be considered the luxury pick, and the same case could also be made for Sanchez, depending on whether you have faith in Bulger next season.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Here is a scenario I envision us trying to orchestrate: Starting after the combine, we will start a smokescreen about falling "in love" with Crabtree. This will only become heightened after individual workouts and team visits. This will be done to try and entice Oakland to trade up with us from #7. How would JaMarcus + D-Mac + Crabtree look to Al Davis? Too good to pass up! If the smokescreen comes to fruition, we trade down and take either J. Smith/Oher or defensive BPA (depending what happens in free agency), or if we don't we stay put at take the BPA overall. I honestly see Crabtree being our one and only major smokescreen this draft season so get ready to see his named linked with ours a lot. Billy will help the cause, of course.

LongBlood is offline Registered User

I'm MC Hammer all the way, but I won't limit it just to Crabtree. I'll list the reasons in the morning as I'm too faded currently to truly focus my entire argument. I actually got into a discussion on this very topic an hour ago at the bar. Basically what it came down to, is what kind of team will the rams be in a yr, and more specifically in two years.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

None of the above.

I'd take Michael Oher with the second pick (he's a far better franchise left tackle prospect than Andre Smith) and then Patrick Chung in the second round and a centre (Luigs, Caldwell, Wood) in the third. We can address the MLB slot in free agency, as there are several enticing options out there, while no wide receiver is worthy of the number two pick at this stage, given our major holes at MLB, SS and C.

Much depends on how we fare in free agency, though.
    Last edited by DistantRam; -01-18-2009 at 06:55 AM.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Hmm.

I've been enticed to picking Oher or Smith in the first, then Alex Mack or Herman Johnson in the second for a LONG time. That could mean a MAJOR upgrade to our o-line, and it would fit the bill for becoming bigger and more physical.

We could also go the way Distant mentioned, and grab Patrick Chung instead of another o-lineman, but if we get James Butler from the Giants in FA, then that need will be diminished. We could always just wait till the third or fourth round and grab Sean Smith or Michael Hamlin or Chip Vaughn.

I think Aaron Curry could play MLB. He has the athleticism to swith to the inside position. That being said, I would rather trade down and grab Maualauga. No positional transitions here. Maualauga would benefit from the guidance of Spags's coaching, and become a probowler. We need a big, physical guy like him to beef up our front seven. But, if Aaron Curry plays SLB for us, and Witherspoon moves to WLB, I would LOVE to get Mckillop in the third round for our MLB. That would be great.

Option one or two for me.

evil is offline Registered User

No Michael Jenkins ?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Right now I'm leaning towards "The Smith Plan," but I wouldn't be surprised if, by the time the draft rolls around, it's been switched to "The Monroe Doctrine."

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Right now I'm leaning towards "The Smith Plan," but I wouldn't be surprised if, by the time the draft rolls around, it's been switched to "The Monroe Doctrine."
    Ya I agree Monroe is the best pure LT in this draft IMO

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I went with the Smith plan but this team needs soooooooooooo much that I could be happy with:

Jenkins
    Crabtree
    Oher
    Orakpo
    Curry

Any of these. This Rams team needs a face lift of Joan Rivers proportions.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Monroe Doctrine. Well played, Nick.

I want to go Curry (which is to say, BPDA at time of draft), simply because I see a lot of hard core defenses playing football in January, and that would most likely fall in line with what we expect of Spags.

However, hard to argue against the Smith plan and the rebuilding of the OL.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Curry is becoming verry intriguing. He is a perfect fit at SLB or MLB. He is the best defensive player in the draft and is the top 3 for best defensive player in the draft. This OT class is extremely deep, while the MLB class is extremely thin. I like Curry more and more everyday I think he is the perfect leader to put in the middle of Spags defense. I voted for the Smith plan, but Curry is begening to turn me

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Good stuff, Nick, and I think you could be right.

Smith is considered the best OL, but Monroe may emerge as the best fit to play OT in the NFL. I think we'll see a lot of comparisons to Leonard Davis, who was the second pick in the draft in 2001, never really made it as an OT, and now is considered one of the better OGs in the league.

It will be interesting to see how Smith does at the combine. If he does well in certain drills designed to measure the ability to deal with speed rushers on the outside, he'll likely be the first OT taken. If not, Monroe or even Oher could jump past him.

Weddle is offline Registered User

I'd go with the "Smith Plan". Top line LTs are very VERY rare and even rarer outside the top few picks. If we can keep Bulger upright we are a much better team. Bulger IS a good QB it's just his confidence has been shaken in the past few years. A good OT would also help S-Jax find the holes too of course. Might as well get them now when Pace can school them a little...

Although I really want us to strengthen our LB corps there are some good FA players around. I like the idea of chasing Suggs (hybrid DE/LB like Tuck/Ware) and then someone like Dansby, or more realistically (affordable) like Michael Boley.

RAMPAGE! is offline Registered User

Common Guys we need to beef up our oline PERIOD

First round we take a TACKLE Monroe/Smith/Oher pending on our big board

Second round we take a center Alex Mack or Max Unger

The O-Line is a Major concern and once it is addressed S Jax M bulger Avery etc ALL GET BETTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast