Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Draft Sleepers: Who is on your radar?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Draft Sleepers: Who is on your radar?

Every year, a few sleepers emerge as big time prospects.

This year, I've already brought up Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garappolo as little-known player who I'm watching.

Another one is Antwan Goodley, WR, Baylor. He is a very unique player, given his size (5'10, 220). He has emerged as Baylor's (a school that has recently been pumping out NFL ready WRs) top receiver with 44 receptions, 974 yards and 10 TDs.

What intrigues me about Goodley is his size. He is built like a RB, and has the reputation of being a physical blocker. In a way, he reminds me of Hines Ward.

For a team like the Rams, which wants to run the ball and also could use a guy who can get in front of an Austin bubble screen, Goodley could be an intriguing prospect.

Who are your sleepers?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Draft Sleepers: Who is on your radar?

Mine is Louisville's FS, Calvin Pryor. At 6'2", 210, he has size to play in the box, but he has the ball-hawking skills of a centerfielder. A hard hitting tackler with a nose for the ball. Two questions: 1) does he come out this year as a Junior? and 2) will Louisville's less-than-stellar level of competition hurt him at the next level?
    Tampa_Ram likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Mine is Louisville's FS, Calvin Pryor. At 6'2", 210, he has size to play in the box, but he has the ball-hawking skills of a centerfielder. A hard hitting tackler with a nose for the ball. Two questions: 1) does he come out this year as a Junior? and 2) will Louisville's less-than-stellar level of competition hurt him at the next level?
    In my mock im posting this week i have us taking Pryor if he comes out. Love him and his skills. If he stays could be a 1st rounder next year. I was going to say him in this thread but since you already did, i will add some others.

Pierre Desir CB, Lindenwood.
    6'2 ballhawk. I really like this kid and think he has the skills to be a big time NFL corner.

Jeff Janis Wr WR, Saginaw Valley State
    6'3 with 4.3 speed. Would love to take a flyer on him in the 5th/6th.
    Randart likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

If he declares I would select Sean Mannion from OR St. I think he's a sleeper because he hasn't beaten any teams of note and lost to Eastern Washington in game 1. His measureables are excellent 6'5" 220 Lbs. His performances are stellar with a 68% completion rate and a rating of 157. He's thrown 31 TD's to only 6 ints. I think he's developmental that is why I would consider him, not running Sammy out of town by any stretch.

Go Rams!
    Richbert88 likes this.

Another sleeper I have my eye on is Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska. With Seattle's success using big, physical CBs, I think a guy like Jean-Baptiste (6'3, 220 lbs) could be a very interesting prospect. He's a bit raw, but reports are that he has shown steady improvement.

I really believe that the Rams need bigger, physical CBs who can disrupt opposing receivers with press coverage, thereby giving our DL more time to get the QB.

Jean-Baptiste is a mid-round (3-5) prospect at this point.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Another sleeper I have my eye on is Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska. With Seattle's success using big, physical CBs, I think a guy like Jean-Baptiste (6'3, 220 lbs) could be a very interesting prospect. He's a bit raw, but reports are that he has shown steady improvement.

I really believe that the Rams need bigger, physical CBs who can disrupt opposing receivers with press coverage, thereby giving our DL more time to get the QB.

Jean-Baptiste is a mid-round (3-5) prospect at this point.
    I like Baptiste to an extent. I think he will be drafted to high though, i personally wouldn't touch him before the 5th. Love his size and that he has improved, but not sure he would ever be good enough to start. I could be very wrong though as i'm no scout and will never claim to know it all. Just basing it off what i have seen and read on him, and i've looked at him a pretty good extent.

punahou is offline Registered User

For those of you who would like to see a nice DT that hopefully wont go in the the fist few rounds Im gonna say

Daquan Jones from Penn St.

Mikey is online now Registered User

Going to go with a local boy. Joel Bitonio, LT for the Nevada Wolf Pack. Big man at 6'4" 315lbs. Excellent in run blocking and has good foot work and athletecism. Could easily move into the RT position with the potential ceiling to be a servicable LT if needed.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

How about Tevin McDonald from Eastern Washington. He's the younger brother of TJ McDonald (not too mention son of HOFer Tim McDonald) so you know playing Safety runs in his genes. He's a bit on the smaller side, but he's a ball hawk type player who's really good in coverage. Sure he was kicked off UCLA for failing a couple drug tests but we all know Jeff Fisher isn't afraid to take a chance on talented players with character concerns. The best thing is we might be able to snag him in the later rounds, maybe even as an undrafted FA.
    Randart likes this.

richtree is offline Registered User

Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska like this guy !!!

Another sleeper on my list:

Max Bullough, LB, Michigan State
    I think the Rams will wish to draft a 2 down SLB in the middle rounds. Bullough is a great candidate. Though he plays inside for the Spartans, I think his skills would translate well to the SLB spot. He certainly has the size (6'3, 245) to take on blockers, and is a "tackling machine."

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Another sleeper on my list:

Max Bullough, LB, Michigan State
    I think the Rams will wish to draft a 2 down SLB in the middle rounds. Bullough is a great candidate. Though he plays inside for the Spartans, I think his skills would translate well to the SLB spot. He certainly has the size (6'3, 245) to take on blockers, and is a "tackling machine."
    If MSU beats OSU tomorrow, he may not be such a sleeper. 2 Wisconsin players I like are Chris Borland, also an ILB who's smaller than Bullough, 5'11" but stout 246 and hopefully can transition to OLB and Ryan Groy an OG who has been rising up the rankings lately so he may not be such a sleeper. While I'm not a Wisc alum, I do have a healthy regard for their football players.

Go Rams!

My first sleeper, Jimmy Garoppolo, is getting very good reviews at the East-West Shrine Game practices:

Tony Pauline‏@TonyPaulineJan 13Jimmy Garoppolo/QB/EIU looks good. Nice arm, accurate and working well with new receivers. Like the way he scans the field.
    Daniel Jeremiah‏@MoveTheSticksJan 14
    Finished studying Jimmy Garoppolo…very quick feet, and a lightning quick release. Excellent touch. Lacks huge arm but it's good enough.
    NFL Draft Blitz‏@NFLDraftBlitzJan 11
    Ranking 2014 Shrine Game QB's: 1.Jimmy Garoppolo 2.Keith Wenning 3.Jeff Mathews 4.Keith Price 5.Jordan Lynch 6. Tommy Rees
    We may get to see him against the top prospects as well:

Dane Brugler‏@dpbruglerJan 14
    With McCarron out of the Senior Bowl according to reports, Jimmy Garoppolo an attractive replacement if he wants to double dip after Shrine

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    If he declares I would select Sean Mannion from OR St. I think he's a sleeper because he hasn't beaten any teams of note and lost to Eastern Washington in game 1. His measureables are excellent 6'5" 220 Lbs. His performances are stellar with a 68% completion rate and a rating of 157. He's thrown 31 TD's to only 6 ints. I think he's developmental that is why I would consider him, not running Sammy out of town by any stretch.

Go Rams!
    Local boy for me. Watched him play at foothill High in Pleasanton. Nice kid..... If he does come out, he is one to watch.
    My sleeper is David Fales. 4,000 yards last tow season at SJSU. Factoid.....backed up Krapernick at Nevada but transferred to a JC then went to SJSU. He had a shootout with Carr and led SJSU to a huge upset victory against Fresno. I think you can get David in 4th round ..........

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Gonna be a tough year to get drafted if you are an unknown.

90 underlassmen means only the top 160 SENIORS is drafted this year.

That's gonna make it a better than usual undrafted class, so Fisher and Snead need to be all over those guys, as I know they will.

This is a year where you can get some really good prospects there.
    Barry Waller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast