Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By HUbison
  • 3 Post By HUbison
  • 1 Post By jerseyramsfan

Thread: Draft Smoke: Minnesota apparently prefer CB Claiborne over LT Kalil

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

Draft Smoke: Minnesota apparently prefer CB Claiborne over LT Kalil

From Bob Sansevere of the St Paul Pioneer Press

Last time I ran into Vikings general manager Rick Spielman, he quizzed me. He asked if I knew the starting left tackles for the Green Bay Packers and New York Giants. I shrugged. He wanted to make the point that a left tackle doesn't have to be an all-pro or even well known for a team to be successful.

Here's the flaw in his thinking: The quarterbacks for the Packers and Giants are either all-pro (Aaron Rodgers) or all-pro caliber (Eli Manning). Teams with elite quarterbacks don't need an all-pro at left tackle. Teams with an inexperienced quarterback, like the Vikings, have a much better chance of success when surrounded by all-pro level players, particularly at left tackle.

The discussion came about because Spielman didn't seem to agree with a column I wrote saying he might be in need of a CAT scan if he passes up Southern California left tackle Matt Kalil with the third overall pick in the NFL draft.

It could just be a smokescreen that Spielman isn't gushing about the prospect of drafting a potential all-pro who could be a fixture at left tackle for the next decade. Then again, why a smokescreen is needed when the first two picks already are decided is baffling.

After listening to the Spielman spiel, this much appears certain: If he keeps the third pick and passes on Kalil, Spielman will draft LSU cornerback Mo Claiborne. He raved more about Claiborne than Kalil.

With each passing day, the argument builds that Spielman prefers Claiborne over Kalil. For one thing, the Vikings haven't pursued a cornerback in free agency. For another, they have expressed interest in offensive lineman Geoff Schwartz, who is nothing special and missed all of last season after hip surgery. Presumably, he fits the type of lineman Spielman thinks you can win with in the NFL.
    Take this for what it's worth, as it's smokescreen time in the NFL.

However, in this situation the Rams would only need one of the Browns or Bucs to select Trent Richardson to have a shot at either Kalil or Blackmon. This is quite likely, as I doubt either would select Kalil given the presence of Joe Thomas and Donald Penn

What would be interesting though is if the Vikings take Claiborne, and the Browns take Richardson. Would the Bucs then go ahead and take Blackmon after spending money on Vincent Jackson and having Mike Williams on the roster? Probably not. But who would they take? That could give the Rams the choice between Blackmon and Kalil. In that situation, I think a lot of Rams fans clamouring for a WR could get disappointed, as Kalil may be too good for Jeff Fisher to pass up

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Draft Smoke: Minnesota apparently prefer CB Claiborne over LT Kalil

If Kalil is available at #6, i don't see any way we pass him up.

Having said that, i don't think theres a chance in hell that Kalil falls to #6. Wether Vikings take him or someone trades up, i don't see him dropping to us. Just my opinion.

I also think the Vikings are using this as a smoke screen tot ry and get some team to trade up with them.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Anyone that thinks that khalil will be available at #6 is spending far too much time with the hookah pipe.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Anyone that thinks that khalil will be available at #6 is spending far too much time with the hookah pipe.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    You say that, and I'm inclined to think that too, but I'm quite sure a similar thing was said about Robert Quinn being available at 14 last year.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Fine. Vikes take Claiborne.

Browns aren't taking Kalil. So they take either Blackmon or Richardson.
    Bucs might take Kalil, or the remainder of Blackmon or Richardson.

So at the end of day, we still are guaranteed to have one of Kalil/Blackmon/Richardson. Maybe I'm simply too easy to please, but that's a win in my book.

There's at least 6 blue-chip prospects in this draft. We are drafting #6. It's a beautiful day!
    AvengerRam and C-Mob 71 like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Fine. Vikes take Claiborne.

Browns aren't taking Kalil. So they take either Blackmon or Richardson.
    Bucs might take Kalil, or the remainder of Blackmon or Richardson.

So at the end of day, we still are guaranteed to have one of Kalil/Blackmon/Richardson. Maybe I'm simply too easy to please, but that's a win in my book.

There's at least 6 blue-chip prospects in this draft. We are drafting #6. It's a beautiful day!
    Exactly.

This is why, in my view, the Rams should only trade down again if a team offers a REALLY good deal.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Maybe the Vikes want to scare the Bucs into trading up to get Claiborne, knowing that Cleveland won't take Kalil.

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

Question is if the picks go like this:
    3: Claiborne
    4: Tannehill (I think this has a real chance of happening)
    5: Richardson
    6: Both Blackmon and Kalil are here

What do we do now?? IMO Kalil is to good of a prospect to pass up, but hey he's my man crush this draft and im not sold on Blackmon as a "Can't Miss Prospect"

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianRamsFan View Post
    Question is if the picks go like this:
    3: Claiborne
    4: Tannehill (I think this has a real chance of happening)
    5: Richardson
    6: Both Blackmon and Kalil are here

What do we do now??
    We cry tears of joy and dance the dance of love!

That is a choice with no wrong answer.
    viper, CanadianRamsFan and Rammed like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Fisher hasnt taking a lineman in the first rd in 16yrs, i think that says something there... Idk but in 16yrs i bet he has passed on atleast 3 o linemen that were tagged "cant miss prospects". In 16yrs he and his coaching staff have developed later round lineman so why would he change his philosophy now? Dont make any sense to me. Now if spags and devanny were here khalil would be a no brainer. We need playmakers point blank. It dont matter if its trich, blackmon, claiborne, floyd, wright, jefferys, of someone else but i bet my bottom dallor we address the lack of speed and playmaking ability on this team in round 1.

MrLegend28 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    From Bob Sansevere of the St Paul Pioneer Press

Take this for what it's worth, as it's smokescreen time in the NFL.

However, in this situation the Rams would only need one of the Browns or Bucs to select Trent Richardson to have a shot at either Kalil or Blackmon. This is quite likely, as I doubt either would select Kalil given the presence of Joe Thomas and Donald Penn

What would be interesting though is if the Vikings take Claiborne, and the Browns take Richardson. Would the Bucs then go ahead and take Blackmon after spending money on Vincent Jackson and having Mike Williams on the roster? Probably not. But who would they take? That could give the Rams the choice between Blackmon and Kalil. In that situation, I think a lot of Rams fans clamouring for a WR could get disappointed, as Kalil may be too good for Jeff Fisher to pass up
    fun fact: Jeff Fisher has never drafted a OT in the 1st round in his entire career.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Hold the Blackmon and pass me the Kalil please.... We cant lose as long as we stay in the top six....
    CanadianRamsFan likes this.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Fisher hasnt taking a lineman in the first rd in 16yrs, i think that says something there... Idk but in 16yrs i bet he has passed on atleast 3 o linemen that were tagged "cant miss prospects". In 16yrs he and his coaching staff have developed later round lineman so why would he change his philosophy now? Dont make any sense to me. Now if spags and devanny were here khalil would be a no brainer. We need playmakers point blank. It dont matter if its trich, blackmon, claiborne, floyd, wright, jefferys, of someone else but i bet my bottom dallor we address the lack of speed and playmaking ability on this team in round 1.
    I think that would change this year. The Rams can release LOT Smith or restructure and save a ton of money. Smith is injury prone maybe the Rams could have a OT that will last a whole season.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyramsfan View Post
    Hold the Blackmon and pass me the Kalil please.... We cant lose as long as we stay in the top six....
    I feel the DT & WR positions are the deepest in this years draft. Pick up the WR later in the draft.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Interest in the Vikings' No. 3 overall spot
    March, 25, 2012
    By Kevin Seifert

PALM BEACH, Fla. -- Greetings from the Breakers Hotel, where one smells freshly cut grass at the front door and sea air in the back. I've been circulating through the common(er) areas for the past few hours, and while there is no hard news to report from an NFC North perspective, I can tell you that, based on some background discussions, I've grown increasingly convinced that the Minnesota Vikings' No. 3 overall pick in the draft will legitimately be in play over the next few weeks.

We walked through a scenario earlier this month where the Miami Dolphins, if stymied in their efforts to acquire a new starting quarterback, might feel compelled to move up in the draft to select Texas A&M's Ryan Tannehill. But now that the Cleveland Browns have also failed to upgrade their situation, you have two teams that could conceivably be in competition for the third-rated quarterback in the draft.

If the Dolphins want to secure their chances of drafting Tannehill, they might need to leapfrog the Browns at No. 4, which would require swapping positions with the Vikings at No. 3. And if the Browns want Tannehill, they might need to trade with the Vikings to prevent the Dolphins from jumping ahead.

What we don't know is whether the Dolphins and/or Browns value Tannehill enough to make a move to draft him. You would have a hard time finding someone to tell you he is the third-best player available, but the value of quarterbacks has never been higher. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if one or both teams have already discussed a trade with the Vikings in general terms.

I'm not saying the Vikings will end up making a trade, although it would seem to be a no-brainer for them to swap picks with the Browns in this scenario because they would still be able to select the best non-quarterback available. But I do think there's enough here to make it a recurring theme of our pre-draft discussions. Stay tuned.
    The buzz for this move up is growing, which I find baffling considering we're talking about Ryan Tannehill. It really wouldn't surprise me if teams were so desperate for a quarterback that something like this happened, but I also wouldn't be shocked if Tannehill fell to the Browns @ #22. At this point, anything could happen.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The buzz for this move up is growing, which I find baffling considering we're talking about Ryan Tannehill. It really wouldn't surprise me if teams were so desperate for a quarterback that something like this happened, but I also wouldn't be shocked if Tannehill fell to the Browns @ #22. At this point, anything could happen.
    I have said I could see someone moving up and I think that's why the Vikes are shopping the pick. Anything could happen but he's a reach at 3 and then too give up picks to move up and get him..seems too much if you ask me but this is a QB driven league and LT and RB have been down graded in the the draft lately.