Frito is offline Registered User

Draft Strategy QB or OT

We will end up with a top pick once again.

Do we grab another high risk high priced unproven rookie?
    Do we grab as many picks as possible by trading down?

Somtimes you don't have a choice because of the situation. Most likely we wont receive an offer to trade down. I do see a scenario of a team a'la Atlanta Falcons who are a QB away. Stafford and Bradford will probably be the only franchise types. If we think Bradford is really a true phenom we need to grab him. In fact he is the only player we should take that high.

Looks like about five teams fit the scenario for a QB away and could pull the trigger on a trade. I think Minnesota Vikings at 23rd fits but, would our OT be there? I would trade down if anything is on the table allowing us to target one of the six OT's projected in the 1st round.

OffensiveTackle: Andre Smith Ala, Michel Oher Ole Ms, Eugene Moore Vir, Eben Britton Az, Ciron Black LSU, Jason Smith Baylor.

I don't see the OT's lasting past Detroits second pick at 22nd.

Action_Jackson is offline Registered User

Re: Draft Strategy QB or OT

I know our O-line has been a problem for years now, but am I the only one who would like the Rams to draft a linebacker who is big, strong, fast and athletic?

What I would give for one of those.

Keenum is offline Registered User

My Draft Strategy: Andre Smith.
    We've GOT to fix the O-line first before we can work on other areas, or else it just won't work.
    I wouldn't mind taking a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round though. This will hopefully keep Bulger on his toes, and who knows, maybe see him return to for. If not, we'll have that young guy to put in there and get ready.
    Then of course there is defense to worry about. I wonder if guys like Holt and Pace may be used to get more draft picks... I've heard some rumors about it.

RamsDynasty is offline Registered User

It depends on the combine and the player, if either of the quarterbacks rate out as good Matt Ryan or the OT's rate out as good as Jake Long. If they all do then I'd still go OT because a great OL can make the team better every where but if the OT's aren't as good as advertised then I guess the QB or the BPA might be the way to go.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    I wonder if guys like Holt and Pace may be used to get more draft picks... I've heard some rumors about it.
    I could see that being a serious option. Cutting them would save them 14 mil. If they can trade them and save that money it would be really tempting. If the Rams got extra draft picks plus an extra 14 mil or so to spend in free agency for Holt and Pace that would be a good deal IMO. Pace and Holt are about at the end of their career in STL anyway. We could potentially get younger players and free up a lot of cap space.

Falconator Guest

nobody is trading draft picks for two over the hill guys like Torry Holt and Orlando Pace - sorry guys but NFL GMs are too smart to give away draft picks for guys that make a lot of money and are near the end of their careers - won't happen.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    nobody is trading draft picks for two over the hill guys like Torry Holt and Orlando Pace - sorry guys but NFL GMs are too smart to give away draft picks for guys that make a lot of money and are near the end of their careers - won't happen.
    Tell that to Jerry Jones and Roy Williams.

Frito is offline Registered User

I believe The Fastest way to turn a teams fortune is to solidify its Offensive Line.

The Rams have Steven Jackson who makes 1000 yds. per year the hard way fighting injury and missing games because of the lack of consistant play by the O-line. The Rams run a timing passing scheme that lacks the protection and only seems to end many QB careers.

To consider anything else for this team but totally overhauling the Offensive Line this off season... to me will lead us to more of the same frustration. This offense has it all a RB, TE, WR's and QB except for an O-Line.

We need alot of help on Defense but, the best way to help is by keeping them off the field!

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Tell that to Jerry Jones and Roy Williams.
    Bar-bq,

1. Roy Williams is what, four or five years younger than Torry Holt.
    2. Yeah, that Cowboys trade has worked out great for Cowboys, huh?

I think Jerry Jones gets the "bonehead GM" of the year award for that trade for Roy Williams. While Roy Williams has talent, he has been an underachiever his whole career with the Lions. He shows flashes here and there but never was a real consistent performer. He's had one really good year in the NFL in his five regular seasons now.

I think Jerry Jones gave up a 1st round pick, 3rd round pick and 6th round pick in 2009 and a 7th round pick in 2010.......wow! that is the reverse of the Herschel Walker trade that Cowboys perpetrated on the Vikings....Maybe the Lions can use that trade to turn around their fortunes....