Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

The draft terrifies me, here is why

The 2008 draft terrifies me. We suffered through a horrible 2007 season, it couldnt have been much worse, and the saving grace was the #2 pick, which should help us rebuild with a player with pro bowl potential who can also make an immediate impact.

Unfortunately, with the exception of chris long, i dont see that player in the draft. The injury situation reported today involving dorsey has intensified this feeling.

Ryan and Mcfaddin are both major blue chip guys. Neither helps us. Jake Long is an excellent prospect. He will provide a long term solution at tackle, but to me, there is a legit shot that pace can play another two to three years, in which case, i dont see long helping at all this year and who knows when. Barron isnt the greatest, but i think he is pretty good and i still think he can improve. He has a long career ahead of him.

I want no part of dorsey. The injury scares me to death. Too risky with this high a pick.

Ghoulston? We need a defensive end. The guy weighs 258 and is 6' 2". Pass rusher, sure. Nice prospect, absolutely, but with the #2 overall pick? It doesnt excite me at all.

Trade down? Nice theory, i doubt it will work as a practical matter. The salary impact makes it harder than ever. The only remote shot i think we have is if miami takes chris long and someone wants to try and jump ahead of atlanta to take ryan. Even if that is the case, i am suspect as to whether we will get value.

Bottom line. I am praying that miami takes matt ryan. I have been saying for 2 months that chris long is our guy and right now, i not only believe more strongly than ever that he is the guy, but i just dont see any legitimate alternatives.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: The draft terrifies me, here is why

i see why youre terrified. i am too. if long is taken, we can say good bye to 08.

Long is the best player for us, Dorsey on the other hand, wouldnt do good on our team. We already have two good DT's...why sign another one? We need a DE like Linehan said because of the Giants...and we need it.

In all honesty, if Long is taken...Gholston is our best option...

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

I do believe we will end up taking Gholston. I said prior to the combine that he would have a Mario Williams type leap in the sense that mock drafts in '06 had him going to the Raiders at 7 and then jumping up to #2 and eventually the first overall pick. Gholston is gonna jump from either the Pats or Jets to now us, IMO.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I think we will end up with Jake Long, if Chris is gone, safe pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I think we will end up with Jake Long, if Chris is gone, safe pick.
    I honestly don't see how its a safe pick in my opinion. Give me some feed back.

I think taking Jake Long would be a waste...what IF our line stays healthy? then we have our first round pick benched. =/ which isnt what we want. we want someone to make an impact. Though our oline gets injured, we should be signing good depth players for the Oline instead of starters. What I'm trying to say is, if we sign Jake Long and our Oline stays healthy...then what?

If we get Gholston...he'll start. No doubt about it. The kid is gone within the first 5 picks anyways (atleast I think so) so why not get him. He seems like he's going to be a great impact for whomever signs him...lets pursue it if Long is gone.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    I said prior to the combine that he would have a Mario Williams type leap in the sense that mock drafts in '06 had him going to the Raiders at 7 and then jumping up to #2 and eventually the first overall pick.

I know a lot of people think that Gholston will jump after the combine, and that may very well be true, but I don't think it's as simple as "he's a workout warrior, therefore the combine will favor him."

Most people expect Gholston to excel at the combine and therefore that's already factored into their expectation of his potential. Now maybe he'll do even better than expectations. But since expectations are so high for him to begin with, there's also a decent chance he'll drop if he has a mediocre or even only a moderately good combine.

I honestly don't see how its a safe pick in my opinion. Give me some feed back.
    Ok I will play.

I think taking Jake Long would be a waste...what IF our line stays healthy?
    First a "waste" is a bit of a reach. For the Rams he is not the biggest need for sure. But He will be in the NFL for a good 10 years.He gave up 2 sacks while at Michigan playing against very good competition.

then we have our first round pick benched
    Jake Long would beat oy Barron for sure. We could move Jake inside in his first year if needed, he would play and give us depth. Big O IMO will come back and play well but not for ever.

Gholston a good player and fills a need, but I will go on record and say Jake Long make more Pro Bowls then Gholston.

As you stated IF, which is a big little word, IF Pace does not play well or gets hurt again like the last two years. If Barron can stop being a drive killer with the false starts.

Marc would love the pick I'm sure, so would SJ.
    Last edited by Rambos; -02-24-2008 at 10:27 PM.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I am not a believe in the idea of "just moving him inside" Its a different position.Start naming guys that have been successful at that transition (offensive tackle to guard)? I dont think guys change positions that easily, certainly not at an elite level. Furthermore, i dont think he beats out barron, but that is a point on which reasonable people can differ.

The bottom line is that our interior offensive line is the primary cause of our problems. Offensive tackle is a major need looking to the post pace era, but the more of a believer that you are that pace is coming back, the less attractive jake long looks.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

I would not move him inside forever, and we do need help inside as you stated. Kind of like AC he is too good to pass up.

dont think he beats out barron
    IMO he would, how many drives has Barron killed?

Michigan senior Jake Long (6-7, 313) tops many projections at tackle, although hes not without his critics. Long -- who allowed only two sacks and was penalized just twice over the course of his collegiate career -- believes his efforts returning to the Wolverines last fall should quiet some of the questions about his pass protection skills and overall potential as an NFL left tackle.
    I know Pace will not play forever so why not get his replacement, Barron is not it.
    Last edited by Rambos; -02-25-2008 at 12:44 AM.

Hmmm. I'm starting to see better traits of J. Long when some of you guys post your side of the story. He might outstart Barron...but what do we do with Barron?

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I am not a believe in the idea of "just moving him inside" Its a different position.Start naming guys that have been successful at that transition (offensive tackle to guard)?
    Jonathan Ogden played his rookie year inside at guard before moving outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    He might outstart Barron...but what do we do with Barron?
    Barron becomes that valuable third tackle who can step in on either side in case of injury.

39thebeast is offline Registered User
    Barron could be the third tackle we have been missing for a while. When Pace has gone down the past 2 seasons our line has struggled terribly. With Barron as a third tackle we won't face a huge drop off when Pace or another one of our tackles goes down like we have had the past 2 seasons.

I think Johnathan Ogden's style of play is verry similar to Jake Long good comparison Nick
    Last edited by Nick; -02-25-2008 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Merging back to back posts

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

If Long's gone you've got your biggest case of need vs. talent in a while then eh? We need an end. Take Gholston, or try to trade the rights to Matt Ryan.

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

Jake no question, he will be huge on our line for many years to come, and he isn't prone to taking penelties like Barron is. We will be able to pick up a solid DE with out 2nd pick

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianRamsFan View Post
    Jake no question, he will be huge on our line for many years to come, and he isn't prone to taking penelties like Barron is.
    GC, Great post.

Barron had his locker retired in college. He wasn't exactly a penalty waiting to happen. For mind, he was, at the time, the second best OT available, behind Jamaal Brown.

I don't think you can predict that a player will be a stud on any NFL team without watching him play a down in the NFL. The speed of the game is increased, and I think that's where Barron has stuggled.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast