Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    chiguy is offline Registered User

Re: The draft terrifies me, here is why

Why are some of you folks so convinced that offensive line is less of a need than defensive end? That's short sighted in my opinion. Let me put it this way -- James Hall has accomplished more than Setterstrom, Romberg, and Incognito in the NFL.

Yeah, injuries hurt us...no doubt. But go to the season before last; at the end of the season it wasn't very clear that we had a good line and we were supposed to find out this season if we did. Well, we didn't find out. Can we afford to wait another year? Or two? Barron is not a top tier starter in the NFL and we may have three good players on the interior...or none. That looks like a screaming need to me, especially when you've got a premier RB and a good QB, both of whom you've invested money in.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Chiguy, you have a good point, but i dont see tackle as the major need. Interior line is where we are massively suspect. I dont see any evidence that setterstrom, romberg or incognito is any better than barron.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

chiguy is offline Registered User

Oh I generally agree which is why I'd like to see us sign a guard in FA and draft a tackle in rounds 2 or 3. Still, I think you can find a way to make J. Long work about as well as you could find a way to make Dorsey/Ellis work. I was more just puzzled about all the optimism for our offensive line. I thought it was pretty clear last off season that we should gone after Eric Steinbach really hard.

rammiser is offline Registered User

What amazes me is that most people who want us to pick Jake Long think he will be just fine if we move him inside to guard. Thats a major change especially going to the NFL level. This has been a great thread and I was almost swayed to agree with the Jake Long supporters, but who's to say if C. Long isnt there Gholston won't be a major contributor for 10 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Injuries where hugh no doubt. So how long do you see Pace playing for us? Can you say he will ever be 100% after the last two years? Is Barron ever going to be as good as Pace on the blind side? When healthy how high would you rank our O line? Is it as good as it could be with the current roster?
    I think Pace if he stays healthy with no more freakish injuries can play another 4 years. We have time to find the tackle of the future. No I cant say this for sure, but who's to say J. Long comes in and doesnt have a career ending injury, nothing is for sure. Barron is a right tackle and is not our LT replacement. I think our o-line could be a top 10 line if healthy. Remember even with injuries and Barron's penalties and without Pace in 06' Bulger and Jackson had career years. That wasnt all Jackson and Bulger they need holes and time. While it wasnt great I think if they play a bit better than that year they could be very good. I would say nothing is ever as good as it can be. You cant have pro bowl players at every position. There is always room for improvement, but in my opinion I'm not sold on J. Long and not sure he is an improvement. I realize I could be wrong about J. Long but the draft is a crap shoot so unless we are releasing Pace or trading Barron I'd rather not draft him.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    When was the last time we had a completely healthy offensive line? 2003? We did have a freakish number of injuries last year, but there's no way to guarantee we don't have any injuries this year.

And again, why can't Jake Long start on this line in 2008? He could man one of the guard spots and then shift outside to tackle down the road when that job opens up, which could be sooner rather than later. Or he could challenge immediately at RT.

I don't understand how people can automatically conclude that Long won't be a starter. If we take a guy #2 overall, we're going to find a way for him to contribute.
    You're right our o-line hasnt been healthy for a while. For this reason I got to thinking maybe taking J. Long is a good idea, I just dont like moving a guy to guard when he was a tackle in college. Thats no sure thing he can do it. There have been many good points in this thread and protecting Bulger is probably the most important thing the Rams need to do. So if they pick J. Long I could understand it, I just hope the other Long is available and we can pick up a good o-lineman in free agency or later in the draft.
    Just Fix It

txramsfan is offline Registered User

The draft scares me every year. The draft is littered with Ryan Leaf's and Tony Mandarich's. Look at Tye Hill. He is adequate, but so far has he honestly played up to a first round pick potential? He could, yes. Has he so far? Not really. So who is to say that Chris or Jake Long are going to "immediately" make an impression? We got a good one last year in Carriker, so the Rams really need to build on that success. However, has Klop made a 2nd round pick impression? For numerous reasons, no.

I honestly think the fans unrealistic expectations of immediately improving a team through the draft is misguided at best.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Look at Tye Hill. He is adequate, but so far has he honestly played up to a first round pick potential?
    I would say yes. He has played as well or better than Sammy Davis, Andre Woolfork, Philip Buchanon, Dunta Robinson, Ahmad Carrol, Fabian Washington, Kelly Jennings, & Jon Joseph.......all 1st round corners.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I'll just shut up in this area. It's all speculative and in the eyes of the beholder.

besides, it's well known that I hate the draft anyway so I'll just do taxes and play golf.

LOL

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I'll just shut up in this area. It's all speculative and in the eyes of the beholder.

besides, it's well known that I hate the draft anyway so I'll just do taxes and play golf.

LOL
    Aw come on, tx, we're just having a conversation here. Without speculation, we're just pounding on keyboards. We all know there's two things you hate......the draft and Tye Hill. Whenever the opportunity to probe both of those at once presents itself, we gotta talk about it.

P.S. Over/Under on either Alpha or BRM picking up on the use of the word "probe" = 20 minutes.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

bbbwwwaaahhhhh......HUb said probe.

LOL

I'll give the edge to Alpha, BRM was on here last night. Seriously everyone, I know what HUb meant when he says I "hate" Tye Hill. I don't personally hate him, never met the man. For all I know, he is a great person. I just don't think he has performed as a Ram as well as most of you.

Back to the draft though, my main focus was the draft is a major crap shoot. You could think you got the best player available but it may turn out that the guy you drafted for the same position in the 6th round turns out to be better than the guy you drafted in Round 1.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -02-26-2008 at 02:09 PM.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I still see alot of us want Jake Long first round. I'm assuming this if Chris Long is gone right? I still think he's the guy we TRULY need.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123