RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

The draft is on Thursday, Friday and Saturday?

I just checked the dates ( and I'm sure all of you knew already ), but the 1st Round is on Thursday, April 22nd, Rounds 2-3 are on Friday, April 23rd, and Rounds 4 - 7 are on Saturday, April 24th.

This is bullcrap, what the heck is the NFL thinking?

"We continue to look for ways to make the draft more accessible to more fans," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said. "Moving the first round to prime time on Thursday night will make the first round of the draft available to fans on what is typically the most-watched night of television."

aka we'll make much more money.

How is this more accessible to fans? Thursday night is a working night to a lot of fans, and this isn't going to help one bit.

I loved the way it was before, and I hate the way it is now. I have to request 3 days of work off, wonderful!

RamsFan16

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: The draft is on Thursday, Friday and Saturday?

Yeah it's pretty annoying, because watching the draft used to be an all day event where I was always going to a draft day party of some sorts, and it was fun to get away for an entire day and talk football with the guys. Now I have to convince my girlfriend that the draft is more important than the usual thursday-night lineup, which we all know is a suicide mission.

I can only imagine how stretched out the first day is going to be now, with no other rounds to account for that day.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: The draft is on Thursday, Friday and Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    How is this more accessible to fans?
    They probably have a fair amount of market data that suggests it is. Saturday is a working day for a lot of people as well, so they must think that they'll get better viewership Thursday night @ 7:30pm than Saturday afternoon @ 4pm. A number of the broadcast networks (ABC, NBC, for instance) put some of their best shows on Thursday night, so there are people out there watching TV then.

This also allows them to split up the first two rounds from one day to two, and while this spreads out viewing time over more days, it decreases the amount of time you have to be in front of the TV in one setting. If you planned to watch the Saturday coverage of the first two rounds in the past, then you'd better be prepared to lose your entire Saturday afternoon and evening. Now, you've got a couple hours Thursday night, a couple of hours Friday night, and if you're hardcore, you've got the mid to late picks on Saturday morning.

I'm not necessarily saying I prefer it this way, but I see the argument in favor of it.