smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Draft vs Free Agency?

In my opinion, we should look to build our defense through free agency as opposed to the draft for a number of reasons.

-The overwhelming amount of talent entering free agency on defense
    -The real lack of talent in the draft on defense outside the top ten ( particularily the D-Line)
    -We have enough young prospective defensive players with our millions of picks spent on defense in the last couple years
    -We should be looking to maximize the talent of Holt, Bruce and Little while theyre still young, becuase they're not getting younger and we've been in a "rebuilding mode" for quite some time now

I'm just kind of throwing this out there hoping to make some interesting points and I just want to see what you guys think about this.
    Last edited by smizzhfx; -01-23-2007 at 07:36 PM.

Country is offline Registered User

Re: Draft vs Free Agency?

I agree FA is the only gaurantee and with the Rams a couple of players on defense away from the playoffs they need to spend some money on defense.

1. DE, the class is so strong with Freeney, Grant, Smith and Allen. The Rams need to land one of them.

2. DT, not nearly as good with only role players.

3. LB, some big names but also big dollars and after resigning 50 and Spoon there might not be the money there.

Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    I agree FA is the only gaurantee and with the Rams a couple of players on defense away from the playoffs they need to spend some money on defense.

1. DE, the class is so strong with Freeney, Grant, Smith and Allen. The Rams need to land one of them.

2. DT, not nearly as good with only role players.

3. LB, some big names but also big dollars and after resigning 50 and Spoon there might not be the money there.
    So we take a SLB in the draft. Poz, TSimmons or Pwillis. PLayers who could make an impact immediately. The time is now to make our run.. we can't be in "rebuilding mode" year after year after year.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    I agree FA is the only gaurantee
    Huh? Free agency is far from a guarantee.

I think what he means is that by signing guys that have already proven themselves and are known playmakers is a safer bet than drafting rookies who might not live up to their potential.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by smizzhfx View Post
    I think what he means is that by signing guys that have already proven themselves and are known playmakers is a safer bet than drafting rookies who might not live up to their potential.
    Safer, perhaps. But by no means a guarantee. We could sit here and name both draft busts and free agent busts at large number.

EDIT: Also, on your earlier point, I really don't see Posluszny as much of a SAM linebacker at the pro level.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-23-2007 at 11:53 PM.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by smizzhfx View Post
    Chris Claiborne agrees.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Claiborne only had one good season, and that was about 3 years before the Rams got him. That was just a bad move by the front office

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Nothing is guaranteed no matter if it's thru the draft or FA.As Nick said you get busts on both,we all know that the Rams have drafted some busts on defense but we also got some thru FA with the above-mentioned Claiborne and guys like Jamie Duncan and Jason Sehorn who turned out just plain awful..:l

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Claiborne only had one good season, and that was about 3 years before the Rams got him. That was just a bad move by the front office
    Yeah, that's kind of the point.

In my opinion you're not going to go wrong with guys like London Fletcher-Baker or Adalius Thomas or Lance Briggs or Charles Grant...
    These guys prove year after year that theyre the best in the business.. so if we could somehow get at least one of them it would be a safe bet.