Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    richtree is offline Registered User

Drafting a #2 RB High is a Waste of time

Here is my agrument not to draft a RB until round 5 or later(if at all).

1. SJAX is elite back . He will want a ton of carries and catches. He is rare 3 down back. He will be happy the more he is out there.

2. 2 backs with a star in front doesn't = any more wins (LT sproles, AP C.Taylor , etc)

3. The Oline makes the backup RB. ex. D.Ward found cut off Practice squad. Patriots throw anyone back there as #2 RB with success. #2 Backs should fit your system and excel in the limited action for blocking, change of pace, speed.

Prime example is --> T. Choice Cowboys. Good O-Line people thought F.Jones was amazing, then when T. Choice was given some time he worked great as well. If F.Jones was on the Bengals last year he would have done squat.

4. If we drafted someone like Ian Johnson, McCoy, etc. They will want touches and if successful demand to be traded or paid since they are picked high in the draft and want to start. Creates a bad situation.

5. Darby and Pittman looked ok. I think if we started the season with the addition of Brown, Fells, Karney, and a healthy McMichael or blocking would be alot better.

6. Finally, we have other needs that are much more important.

LB, DT, OL, WR = four biggest needs (first four rounds)

If I have to pick a 5th need it would be pass Rushing End.

so that makes #2 RB our 6th need or 7th if you want another CB first.

Just my take on it all

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Re: Drafting a #2 RB High is a Waste of time

We dont need a pass rushing end because we have Chris Long and Leonard Little!!!

Long seems to be progressing and hopefully Little has one maybe 2 years left but they didn't seem to do much last year.

Maybe a Big DT will help them next to AC, we will see.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

No, drafting an RB at #2 could make sense. The Giants had 3 backs, the Broncos went through 8 last year. 8! Jackson has gone down with some type of injury or another every year it seems like. Chargers have 2. Panthers have 2. Leonard and Darby haven't proved anything to me and this team needs everything. So yes, it does make perfect sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    No, drafting an RB at #2 could make sense. The Giants had 3 backs, the Broncos went through 8 last year. 8! Jackson has gone down with some type of injury or another every year it seems like. Chargers have 2. Panthers have 2. Leonard and Darby haven't proved anything to me and this team needs everything. So yes, it does make perfect sense to me.
    Ohyeah,

and Bradshaw and Ward

Bradshaw was a 7th rounder

Ward picked up of jets practice squad cuts

Fine, however this Rams team needs alot. I don't care when they draft any position. Most of you "draftnix" have it all broken down to a science......allegedly but this team needs everything and if they decide that a RB is needed in Round 2 I'm fine with it.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Ohyeah,

and Bradshaw and Ward

Bradshaw was a 7th rounder

Ward picked up of jets practice squad cuts
    (1st) Jonathan Stewart (Williams), Felix Jones (Barber), Chris Johnson (White), Rashard Mendenhall (Willie)
    (2nd) Maurice Jones-Drew (Taylor)
    (3rd) Jerious Norwood (Dunn, Turner)
    (4th) Brandon Jacobs (Tiki), Darren Sproles (LT), Leon Washington (Jones), Steve Slaton (Green)

Those players are reasons you draft #2 RBs high. Finding undrafted ones are mostly luck, not skill.

every player you listed is on a team with a good offensive line

you post defends my point

t. choice filled in just fine for cowboys

M.Moore was the option in Pitt -- Mendenhall didn't shine

Chris Johnson and J. Stewart look good #1 backs...

but we are looking for a #2 back

after you listed the backs that came out of the 3rd and 4th round that are successful it proves we can wait til that time of the draft.

No one said he can't draft one in the 4th/5th/6th round...

#2 Rb will play 12 snaps a game tops - probably less

shower beers is offline Registered User

2. 2 backs with a star in front doesn't = any more wins (LT sproles, AP C.Taylor , etc)
    Both of those teams went to the playoffs, no? It seems like having two backs may indeed help with more wins.

Taylor was taken with the 35th pick in the 6th round

Sproles was drafted the Chargers in the fourth round of the 2005 draft

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Even bearing in mind Tx's valid point about all positions needing at least depth,Richtree, I'm not sure who is arguing seriously for a RB at that spot. The poll just a few threads down overwhelmingly rejected either of the 2 top prospects.If the argument is being made, it ain't here.

Bottom line for me, I think that 2nd rounder needs to at least be in contention for a starter spot.

That's only true @ RB if SJ is hurt.

Could be true for any other position except QB, kicker,center,and safety. And that's probably only so because we have dropped mega-quan bombs on those positions for 2009's salary cap already.

tx, why can't Leonard be a good-sized but versatile back-up behind a better FB & O-line, just like Ward did? Didn't he get a 100yder behind the infamous 2007 Colander line?

Granted there are injury,misuse, and bust warning lights over the RB depth spot but there are others closer to being gaping holes like CB,WR,NT,DE,and LB-in no paricular order- that can be better filled by the likely prospects available, it seems to me.

Prioritizing that short list is where the draftniks lose me. Like trying to decide whether it's better to be a homeowner in Fallujah or Detroit.

Or to be born with one testicle or in Texas.

Leonard could be a good back but he's unproven. You are right blue and gold, I am not advocating taking a RB in Round 2 but I also don't see the harm. I mean some people on here are adamant about Curry in the 2nd overall slot but that makes no sense to me. Who is the last OLB to dominate the NFL? And another thing, that little experiment with Carriker moving him from DE in college to DT in the pros has worked out really well.....not. I'm not a big advocate of selecting a player high then moving them to a position that they "grade out" to.

No, I'm not saying we should take a RB in Round 2 but I'm also not saying we shouldn't.

No, I'm not saying we should take a RB in Round 2 but I'm also not saying we shouldn't.[/quote]

I AM saying we shouldn't Our first 4 rounds should attack

LB, NT, WR, OL --

Unless there is someone that really stands out in round 3 or 4 -- we shouldn't have any RB's / QB's / Secondary Players in the first 4 rounds

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Leonard could be a good back but he's unproven. You are right blue and gold, I am not advocating taking a RB in Round 2 but I also don't see the harm. I mean some people on here are adamant about Curry in the 2nd overall slot but that makes no sense to me. Who is the last OLB to dominate the NFL? And another thing, that little experiment with Carriker moving him from DE in college to DT in the pros has worked out really well.....not. I'm not a big advocate of selecting a player high then moving them to a position that they "grade out" to.

No, I'm not saying we should take a RB in Round 2 but I'm also not saying we shouldn't.
    "harm"? No, but I think there's a good case that a RB wouldn't be as likely to have an immediate benefit as ,say, a front 7 pick in the 2nd rd.I don't think that's splitting draftnik hairs.

I agree with you about Curry. That's taking the BPA thing too far.

Maybe even a CB makes better sense in Rd2, if we get someone like Sean Smith. Gives us nice flexibility- a "big' package in Bartell & Smith as well as some speedier guys.

I still think Carriker falls more into the Spoon at MLB category of expedience/experiment than a Crouch. Let's not Ryan Pickett the guy.With hindsight, was it a great pick? No, but neither moving nor replacing him seems to me to be an option right now.I'd like an Orakpo caliber replacement for Little,too,but I don't want it over an OT.

Maybe Carriker's very "tweener-ness" will be an advantage with Spags' creative D fronts.

I apologize for the testicle/Texas analogy. Must be the blackened trout I had last night fighting back on me. And maybe a little displaced taxpayer rage since I still haven't got my state return. F#$%ing Governator Arnie...

BarronWade is offline Registered User

I disagree!!!!!!!!!

Here is my agrument not to draft a RB until round 5 or later(if at all).
    Well IMO if there is not much value when the 3rd round comes i say get Rashad Jennings or wait till the 7th and get Devin Moore.

1. SJAX is elite back . He will want a ton of carries and catches. He is rare 3 down back. He will be happy the more he is out there.
    Yea the last 2 years he has out on the bench instead of out there. We need a CAPABLE back-up that can also split some carries with S-Jax. Sorry i said CAPABLE which means not Brian Leonard.

When LT was out the last 2 playoffs sproles and that guy on the Falcons (forgot name) came throught and got the Chargers the victory. And with our new power running game Action Jackson will get tired at times getting hit hard. S-Jax is not Superman.

3. The Oline makes the backup RB. ex. D.Ward found cut off Practice squad. Patriots throw anyone back there as #2 RB with success. #2 Backs should fit your system and excel in the limited action for blocking, change of pace, speed.
    Yea in the 3rd round Rashad Jennings fits our system. We are going to be a power running team and run down the middle Jennings is tall at 6-1 but he is really fast and has extremly good hands. He can also block really well.

Prime example is --> T. Choice Cowboys. Good O-Line people thought F.Jones was amazing, then when T. Choice was given some time he worked great as well. If F.Jones was on the Bengals last year he would have done squat.
    Well what about the Cardinals. They dont have a great O-line yet Hightower ran all over us.

And are you trying to insinuate that we have a Bad run blocking O-Line? Cuz with the addition of Brown our Guards should get better and Eugene Monroe can do a good job on the right side.

4. If we drafted someone like Ian Johnson, McCoy, etc. They will want touches and if successful demand to be traded or paid since they are picked high in the draft and want to start. Creates a bad situation.
    Iight if we draft a high round RB and they demand a trade to be a starter who will want them? Also mid round rookies dont often get long term deals. So if they feel like they can get better money elsewhere they can go as a RFA and we get a draft pick as compensation so i would not be too mad.

5. Darby and Pittman looked ok. I think if we started the season with the addition of Brown, Fells, Karney, and a healthy McMichael or blocking would be alot better.
    Pittman was injured while Jackson was out so i dont see how you call him OK. Darby fumbles too much but he can block.

6. Finally, we have other needs that are much more important.

LB, DT, OL, WR = four biggest needs (first four rounds)

If I have to pick a 5th need it would be pass Rushing End.

so that makes #2 RB our 6th need or 7th if you want another CB first.

Just my take on it all
    Well i dont really like the idea of reaching just because it is a major need while there is great value for a minor need. Where is the back-up QB he deserves a 4th or 5th round.

I had a mock draft earlier called B-Dub's mock draft it is worth reading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast