Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Drafting 2 safeties this year is a MUST!

ludairv is offline Registered User

Drafting 2 safeties this year is a MUST!

We're better off drafting 2 safeties straight off the bat instead of looking in FA. Its cheaper, and its sets us up better long term ( dumping Mikells contract). If we can use one of our first Rd picks to use on a safety then use another later pick (possibly from a trade down) to draft another safety, we can possibly come out of this draft with our own Chanceller/Thomas combo. My pick would be Rhodes in the first rd. then possibly Phillip Thomas in the 2nd or Rambo (3rd) . This is a very deep and talented safety class so making this move this year would set us up very nicely for years to come, and would solidify our Defense because it would mean adding 2 more great players with ROOKIE salary contracts. (adding them to Jenks,Tru's,Brockers and Quinns rookie contracts). These players (with cheap contracts) make up more then half of our already solid defense...

Starting Secondary-
    CB- FInny
    FS-Rhodes
    SS-Thomas
    CB-JJenks, Tru

Hawt Damn!
    Last edited by ludairv; -01-04-2013 at 05:35 PM.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Rhodes played CB this season. If he is going to move to safety, I think he'd make a better FS than a SS.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Drafting 2 safeties this year is a MUST!

I don't know about drafting two, but perhaps signing one in free agency and then taking one on Day Two could be nice. I think you're right, there are some quality safeties in this class. Even after the first two names everyone is used to talking about (Reid & Elam), I see a lot to like in the second and third round that intrigues me, Thomas and Rambo being two of them.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Rhodes played CB this season. If he is going to move to safety, I think he'd make a better FS than a SS.
    Truee i forgot about that...then i would probably go with Thomas/Rambo

ya but how can we sign a S we've only got 10mil in cap space and still have to take care of our own UFA's first. If we could draft 2 Safeties, we can wait till Mikells contract is up, free up the cap room from his contract, then we could have added flexibility for next years FA. That would mean 2 Safeties under rookie pay scales rather then just one and the other make FA money
    Last edited by ludairv; -01-03-2013 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't know about drafting two, but perhaps signing one in free agency and then taking one on Day Two could be nice. I think you're right, there are some quality safeties in this class. Even after the first two names everyone is used to talking about (Reid & Elam), I see a lot to like in the second and third round that intrigues me, Thomas and Rambo being two of them.
    ya but how we only got 10mil in cap space, if we could draft 2 Safeties, then after Mikells contract is up, free up the cap room from him contract, we could have added flexibility for next years FA.

QuinnMan is offline Registered User

That makes absolutely no sense to draft two safeties and wait for Mikell's contract to be over.
    Ram187 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnMan View Post
    That makes absolutely no sense to draft two safeties and wait for Mikell's contract to be over.
    2 safeties under rookie pay scale (one of them sits behing Mikel for a year) OR FA safety,Mikell +1 rookie safety(or no safety)?
    Its the cheaper long term solution for down the road... they can draft the second safety with a pick aquired from a trade down who knows... Mikell counts against 9 mil against the cap, 6 mill he made this year... he needs to go next year so let a rookie sit and learn in the wings...
    Last edited by ludairv; -01-04-2013 at 02:06 AM.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Ive been waiting for some time for the Rams to select a Safety with a top pick. I would be happy for a pick in day one and maybe one in the latter rounds.

Go Rams
    Tampa_Ram and C-Mob 71 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHORNS View Post
    Ive been waiting for some time for the Rams to select a Safety with a top pick. I would be happy for a pick in day one and maybe one in the latter rounds.

Go Rams
    mmhm yes sir, why wait to draft another one next year (Mikell's contract can be dumped), when this years draft is shaping up to be one of the deepest and most talented safety classes in quite some time...lets get a leg up on the development of our young players...while we wait to purge unwanted contracts...

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Drafting 2 safeties this year is a MUST!

Quote Originally Posted by ludairv View Post
    2 safeties under rookie pay scale (one of them sits behing Mikel for a year) OR FA safety,Mikell +1 rookie safety(or no safety)?
    Its the cheaper long term solution for down the road... they can draft the second safety with a pick aquired from a trade down who knows... Mikell counts against 9 mil against the cap, 6 mill he made this year... he needs to go next year so let a rookie sit and learn in the wings...
    So what your trying to say is you want the Rams to let go of Mikell the top box safety in the league statistically in 2012 and real ease him and still pay his contract while he plays for another team?! Yes obviously we need a promising rookie for FS and hopefully he can beat out Dahl in the offseason.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHORNS View Post

Go Rams
    I agree with this 100% and have wanted to do this.

Draft one of the top safeties(Vacarro, Reid, Elam, Jefferson) and draft one later in the draft(RayRay Armstrong is my choice)

Start Mikell and the 1st/2nd round safety we draft. Depth of Stewert and Armstrong and if either step up and show there worthy of being a starter let them. Would be nice competition.

With the cap room we have it looks like we might be able to sign 1 good FA. If we sign a FA Safety, then i'd say draft a safety in the later rounds. Also if Stewert comes back healthy and shows he can contribute like he did in 2011, who knows what decisions will be made.

I am positive Fisher/Snead will fix our Safety problem one way or another. That and an OLB are basically our only true needs on defense besides a little depth.
    ZiaRam likes this.

richtree is offline Registered User

Johnson may be able to may safety...plus safeties are easier pick ups in free agency and later rounds..

there is no doubt that OLine, OLine, OLine, WR, TE, RB are our top priorities in the Lou.

Safety, OLB are both needs but Offensive is a priority and I wouldn't want any of our top 3 picks being on defense unless we sure up offense in Free Agency first

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    there is no doubt that OLine, OLine, OLine, WR, TE, RB are our top priorities in the Lou.
    If we keep SJax i dont see a need for another rb.

And i dont want to draft a wr before round 3 personally. I wanna see if Quick can step up. just my opinion though.

I agree we need to upgrade OL(especially RT) and get a TE(Eifert or Ertz please).

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    So what your trying to say is you want the Rams to let go of Mikell the top box safety in the league statistically in 2012 and real ease him and still pay his contract while he plays for another team?! Yes obviously we need a promising rookie for FS and hopefully he can beat out Dahl in the offseason.
    no thats not what i meant, i meant that we draft 2 S, and let the other one sit behind Mikell for next year,until we let go of Mikell...he'll be 33 next season... this would add 2 future starters under a rookie wage scale and sets up the rams in a better position financially down the road. Think about it, we'd have the majority of our best players un ROOKIE wage contracts, Brockers,Quinn,Jenks,Tru, 2 Safeties.
    Last edited by ludairv; -01-04-2013 at 05:29 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast