Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Drafting 2 safeties this year is a MUST!

ludairv is offline Registered User

Re: Drafting 2 safeties this year is a MUST!

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    I agree with this 100% and have wanted to do this.

Draft one of the top safeties(Vacarro, Reid, Elam, Jefferson) and draft one later in the draft(RayRay Armstrong is my choice)

Start Mikell and the 1st/2nd round safety we draft. Depth of Stewert and Armstrong and if either step up and show there worthy of being a starter let them. Would be nice competition.

With the cap room we have it looks like we might be able to sign 1 good FA. If we sign a FA Safety, then i'd say draft a safety in the later rounds. Also if Stewert comes back healthy and shows he can contribute like he did in 2011, who knows what decisions will be made.

I am positive Fisher/Snead will fix our Safety problem one way or another. That and an OLB are basically our only true needs on defense besides a little depth.
    Problem is we dont have the cap space to get a a good S in FA, we've got about 10 mil in space and still ahve to take care of our own UFA's like Hayes, Amendola and Sjax. i believe the draft is the smartest way to go financially..

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ludairv View Post
    Problem is we dont have the cap space to get a a good S in FA, we've got about 10 mil in space and still ahve to take care of our own UFA's like Hayes, Amendola and Sjax. i believe the draft is the smartest way to go financially..
    I agree, i was just saying we might have enough to sign 1 good FA. Draft is the best way to go, i agree.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ludairv View Post
    no thats not what i meant, i meant that we draft 2 S, and let the other one sit behind Mikell for next year,until we let go of Mikell...he'll be 33 next season... this would add 2 future starters under a rookie wage scale and sets up the rams in a better position financially down the road. Think about it, we'd have the majority of our best players un ROOKIE wage contracts, Brockers,Quinn,Jenks,Tru, 2 Safeties.
    How about instead of wasting two valuable picks in a draft on two Safeties this year we take BPA (best player available) which I assume we will pick up a Safety the first 4 rounds sometime this year. But two? Not going to happen. I'm not arguing we don't need a promising Janoris Jenkins type of talent at FS to be drafted but no way after drafting him we draft another.

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    How about instead of wasting two valuable picks in a draft on two Safeties this year we take BPA (best player available) which I assume we will pick up a Safety the first 4 rounds sometime this year. But two? Not going to happen. I'm not arguing we don't need a promising Janoris Jenkins type of talent at FS to be drafted but no way after drafting him we draft another.
    I disagree!!!!!!! lol. come one now, wouldn't you love getting Vaccaro in the 1st and Armstrong in the 7th? Then spend another pick in the top 3 rounds on an OLB and the rest offense except maybe a DL depth player?

remember, we did pick two rb's in the draft last year.

cant believe we disagree on something, that has never happened before lmao
    ZiaRam likes this.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

I disagree!!!!!!! lol. come one now, wouldn't you love getting Vaccaro in the 1st and Armstrong in the 7th? Then spend another pick in the top 3 rounds on an OLB and the rest offense except maybe a DL depth player?

remember, we did pick two rb's in the draft last year.

cant believe we disagree on something, that has never happened before lmao
    HaHa it's good to disagree! It usually leads to understanding ones faulty views of thinking! lol jk

Ok we drafted two RB's last year because our RB situation needed to be addressed badly! Second string and third string was needing a face lift since the FA's we brought in obviously was a disaster!!
    Our FS and SS positions are definitely a bit different for two reasons.
    1. First and foremost we need to draft starters right now with our premium draft picks we have. Think (Brockers,Jenkins,Givens)
    2. Our SS is solidified for right now. For the next 4-6 years? No. But I'd expect in the next year or two we'll find a undrafted FA/late draft pick that we could find and learn under Mikell that could slowly get into the mix after Mikell starts hitting the decline.

IMO we really need to focus on the offensive side of the ball outside of the S and OLB positions. We need to score more points to win games, our defense is good with a few tweaks we need to add and keep.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

HaHa it's good to disagree! It usually leads to understanding ones faulty views of thinking! lol jk

Ok we drafted two RB's last year because our RB situation needed to be addressed badly! Second string and third string was needing a face lift since the FA's we brought in obviously was a disaster!!
    1. First and foremost we need to draft starters right now with our premium draft picks we have. Think (Brockers,Jenkins,Givens)
    2. Our SS is solidified for right now. For the next 4-6 years? No. But I'd expect in the next year or two we'll find a undrafted FA/late draft pick that we could find and learn under Mikell that could slowly get into the mix after Mikell starts hitting the decline.

IMO we really need to focus on the offensive side of the ball outside of the S and OLB positions. We need to score more points to win games, our defense is good with a few tweaks we need to add and keep.
    Yes, and those few tweaks are safety and olb lol.

Mikell and a top draft pick safety will start. Stewart and 7th rounder for depth/future starters.

Our defense will be completely solid with an upgrade at olb and safety. We draft a starter and depth, i dont see why we shouldnt. This will set us up for years to come hopefully IMO.

Im not saying not to focus on our offense, i think we should, but our defense would be complete with just a couple moves.

If we draft 1 safety ill be fine with that, cause he'll start along with Mikell, i just want someone for depth/future starter as well to groom since we dont have much cap room to sign one.

im still aw struck at us disagreeing, albeit a little bit lololol.

Rambos is offline Registered User

We have Matt Daniels..... he was put on IR

Chris Burke of Sports Illustrated broke down every team's best undrafted free agent, or at least the player with the biggest chance to make the final roster. He pegged Duke safety Matt Daniels as the player most likely to make an impact for the Rams.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    We have Matt Daniels..... he was put on IR
    i had actually comletely forgot about him. good to know, hope he can work out for us.

ludairv is offline Registered User

Yes, and those few tweaks are safety and olb lol.

Mikell and a top draft pick safety will start. Stewart and 7th rounder for depth/future starters.

Our defense will be completely solid with an upgrade at olb and safety. We draft a starter and depth, i dont see why we shouldnt. This will set us up for years to come hopefully IMO.

Im not saying not to focus on our offense, i think we should, but our defense would be complete with just a couple moves.

If we draft 1 safety ill be fine with that, cause he'll start along with Mikell, i just want someone for depth/future starter as well to groom since we dont have much cap room to sign one.

im still aw struck at us disagreeing, albeit a little bit lololol.
    I agree with Tampa, LETS NOT FORGET! WE MAY TRADE DOWN with one or both of our first rd picks and pick up a couple of extra picks in middle rds, 2nd? a 3rd? a 4th? who knows! so their is still a possibilty to adress the S position without harming the progress of the Offense
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

Ram187 is offline Registered User

Two? I think that's a waste of picks. I don't know why people hate Craig Dahl? He was 5th this year on solo tackles with 62, with 78 total, 1 int for 38 yards. Mikall had 83 solo, 101 total and 3 sacks. These are good safeties.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't know about drafting two, but perhaps signing one in free agency and then taking one on Day Two could be nice. I think you're right, there are some quality safeties in this class. Even after the first two names everyone is used to talking about (Reid & Elam), I see a lot to like in the second and third round that intrigues me, Thomas and Rambo being two of them.
    Just goes to show how deep this class is; the first name I think of is Vacarro.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

The Rams need a deep playing, ball hawking, sure tackling free safety to replace Craig Dahl. This will allow Mikell to play in the box, and allow Jenkins, Johnson and Finnegan to play closer to the LOS

I don't care how they get it, draft or FA, but we need one.
    THOLTFAN81, Tampa_Ram and ZiaRam like this.

a.p.quinn is offline Registered User

I like the idea of Phillip Thomas in our defense. Great fit. I think we'll be able to get a couple rookie safeties in the 3rd and 4th round. Also, don't count out K-State OLB Arthur Brown in one of those rounds too. Don't rule out Tyron Mathieu if he falls to the 5th round.
    Last edited by a.p.quinn; -01-07-2013 at 02:52 AM.

citr92 is offline Registered User

everyone just forget about matt daniels?

fisher wants him back for a reason

a.p.quinn is offline Registered User

I like him a lot. But I feel that after Mikkel's contract expires that'll be a competition between Daniels and whatever Safety/ies we draft. Then you'd still need a FS and an all purpose safety to put behind them. This years draft has the depth to accomplish that. I haven't forgotten about Rodney McCloud either
    citr92 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast