Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Drafting 2 wide receivers early?

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Drafting 2 wide receivers early?

Alright so our free agency period has started well defensively getting a starting CB and DT. We also sured up our interior line with signing of Scott Wells.

However our biggest need is Wide Receiver we need 2 WRs...So far we struck at wr seeing other WR needy teams getting there guys.

So how would you guys feel about taking 2 wide receivers with our top 3 picks?

Here's is my preference:

Round 1: Justin Blackmon WR
    Round 2A: Mike Adams OT
    Round 2B: Alshon Jeffery WR

Of course you guys can have a different preference about our 2nd wide receiver but do you think that it is necessary to go after WR early and often if we do not pick up one in free agency?

P.S. I do not think we should go after any of the WRs left they will just end up being cut and no Braylon Edwards will not resurrect his career if he could not do it with that wr group in san fran

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Drafting 2 wide receivers early?

I wouldn't mind it, especially if we could fill in 1 or 2 more holes in FA. I'd like to see 2 WR's because its a huge need. I think our current needs are 2 WR's, 2 OLB's, 1 DT, 1 OG, and depth at many positions.

THE DREAM TEAM

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Definitely go WR early and often. There are many combinations of different WRs we should pick, but the one beef I have is the Mike Adams pick.

If we are deciding to go with OL for that pick, I'd rather go with Kelechi Osemele. I'm not sold on Adams. He's inconsistent, and isn't as dominant physically and mentally as I would like.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Definitely go WR early and often. There are many combinations of different WRs we should pick, but the one beef I have is the Mike Adams pick.

If we are deciding to go with OL for that pick, I'd rather go with Kelechi Osemele. I'm not sold on Adams. He's inconsistent, and isn't as dominant physically and mentally as I would like.
    Mike Adams is either going to be Orlando pace-like or Alex Barron...This is a complete high risk/high reward type pick...the dude can become either completely dominant or a complete bust even i do not know which way to lean at this point but i think the risk is worth it if he can make a huge difference we are set on the O-line if not its back to the yearly O-line debate for us

Osmele is good but i think his ceiling is an average O-lineman...i believe he is the type of guy that will good if he is surrounded by better O-line talent i doubt he is the type that makes a huge difference and with pick 33 or 39 i want a difference maker for a re-building team

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Mike Adams is either going to be Orlando pace-like or Alex Barron...This is a complete high risk/high reward type pick...the dude can become either completely dominant or a complete bust even i do not know which way to lean at this point but i think the risk is worth it if he can make a huge difference we are set on the O-line if not its back to the yearly O-line debate for us

Osmele is good but i think his ceiling is an average O-lineman...i believe he is the type of guy that will good if he is surrounded by better O-line talent i doubt he is the type that makes a huge difference and with pick 33 or 39 i want a difference maker for a re-building team
    I agree with the Adams argument, but not the Osemele one.

The problem with drafting Adams is that if he busts, Bradford is screwed...AGAIN. We are screwed...AGAIN. The risk is too high for that valuable draft pick. If we land gold, then we can be on our way to a rebound. If Adams flops, then our o-line is going to be set back for another year.

With Osemele, he's going to be a rock solid o-lineman. I'm not sure why you think his ceiling is an average blocker at best.

Draftniksince1985 is offline Registered User

How about if Trent Richardson is there and Justin Blackmon is not we trade back for #17 & #21 and take Michael Floyd then Kendall Wright?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Of course you guys can have a different preference about our 2nd wide receiver but do you think that it is necessary to go after WR early and often if we do not pick up one in free agency?
    If Blackmon is there, I'd go with just adding Blackmon, having just spent a 3rd and 4th Rd pick last year. Salas showed he can play slot but also can play outside as well. One of the reason why the FO did do resign Lloyd was RAC, Salas is a beast after he has the ball. Pettis came on late as well, both these guys did not have OTA's or Camp. I want to see what they look like in year two before we spend more picks on WR's.

If Blackmon is off the board take BPA at 6 and possibly trade back into the first RD and get Kendall Wright or Michael Floyd.

If we don't want to spend the picks to move up Alshon Jeffery or Stephen Hill could be there in the second.

I would rather wait until next years draft and see how Salas and Pettis are developing before I spend more then one draft pick on WR with still so many needs on this team.

I don't want to sign any of the remaining FA WR, I'd rather see Salas and Pettis get playing time and develop.
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-19-2012 at 08:23 PM.
    #39 Fan likes this.

I agree with the Adams argument, but not the Osemele one.

The problem with drafting Adams is that if he busts, Bradford is screwed...AGAIN. We are screwed...AGAIN. The risk is too high for that valuable draft pick. If we land gold, then we can be on our way to a rebound. If Adams flops, then our o-line is going to be set back for another year.

With Osemele, he's going to be a rock solid o-lineman. I'm not sure why you think his ceiling is an average blocker at best.
    I believe we have to take the risk on this one; Jeff Fisher wants a guy with a nasty demeanor and Adams is huge and can really learn from our coaching staff...Osmele is way to slow and cannot move his feet to take on faster DEs in the NFL we can always move him to guard but as a OT i do not feel like he can make the say impact Adams can.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    If Blackmon is there, I'd good with just adding Blackmon, having just spent a 3rd and 4th Rd picks last year. Salas showed he can play slot but also can play outside as well. One of the reason why the FO did do resign Lloyd was RAC, Salas is a beast after he has has the ball. Pettis came on lat as well, both these guys did not have OTA's or Camp. I want to see what they look like in year two before we spend more picks on WR's.

If Blackmon is off the board take BPA at 6 and possibly trade back into the first RD and get Kendall Wright or Michael Floyd.

If we don't want to spend the picks to move up Alshon Jeffery or Stephen Hill could be there in the second.

I would rather wait until next years draft and see how Salas and Pettis are developing before I spend more then one draft pick on WR with still so many needs on this team.

I don't want to sign any of the remaining FA WR, I'd rather see Salas and Pettis get playing time and develop.
    Pettis and Salas are just players on the team...since Fisher and Snead did not draft them they are not considered previously must-keep developmental players. Both of them will have to earn roster spots Pettis already cannot play the first 2 weeks and Salas will have to compete with Amendola for the inside receiver position if Salas wants a roster spot he will have to show he can work the outside too.

I dislike Kendall Wright and Michael Floyd...Wright has no hands and we have been through this at WR before; and Floyd is only good at "Go" routes he cannot be a #1

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I believe we have to take the risk on this one; Jeff Fisher wants a guy with a nasty demeanor and Adams is huge and can really learn from our coaching staff...Osmele is way to slow and cannot move his feet to take on faster DEs in the NFL we can always move him to guard but as a OT i do not feel like he can make the say impact Adams can.

Pettis and Salas are just players on the team...since Fisher and Snead did not draft them they are not considered previously must-keep developmental players. Both of them will have to earn roster spots Pettis already cannot play the first 2 weeks and Salas will have to compete with Amendola for the inside receiver position if Salas wants a roster spot he will have to show he can work the outside too.

I dislike Kendall Wright and Michael Floyd...Wright has no hands and we have been through this at WR before; and Floyd is only good at "Go" routes he cannot be a #1
    Osemele is a natural OG, he only played OT because of injuries. He's 340 + lbs, I'd love to plug him in across from Dahl. That'd make for a nasty, big OG duo. I guess that shoots down the "he cannot handle DE's" because he wont have to.

And how does Floyd only run go routes? If anything, he has the most potential to be a #1 WR in this entire draft. Blackmon in my opinion, has reached his full potential. Floyd is extremely solid and runs an array of routes, in fact, hes a good route runner.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is offline Registered User

I guess you can say that about all the players sense Fisher didn't draft any of them right. Salas has better run-after-catch ability than Danny Amendola. Salas can play outside, well see...

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Osemele is a natural OG, he only played OT because of injuries. He's 340 + lbs, I'd love to plug him in across from Dahl. That'd make for a nasty, big OG duo. I guess that shoots down the "he cannot handle DE's" because he wont have to.

And how does Floyd only run go routes? If anything, he has the most potential to be a #1 WR in this entire draft. Blackmon in my opinion, has reached his full potential. Floyd is extremely solid and runs an array of routes, in fact, hes a good route runner.
    Osemele might be a natural guard but at some point we are going to have to address the RT position; THere are some really good pass-rushing DEs out there and Bradford will not be happy to be on his back to often (Jason Smith is not reliable enough for us to say he is our starter)

I said floyd is only good at go routes; really look at the way floyd runs his routes on go routes he just run through defenders and get behind them but other than that he doesnt do much; you dont see him doing head fakes and curls or in and out routes. You do not seem him making clean angled cuts i agree he gets open but that is on pure speed and it wont work as well in the pros...he is going to really need to add deception to his routes in the pros... also watch him run go routes in college he just runs straight lines he doesnt try for double moves but he is very fast tall and quick and that is what made him so good in college he is going to have to learn deception techniques in the nfl

sonnyjames is offline Registered User

If we took Blackmon at six, I wonder what number Floyd would fall to. And what it might take to trade up and take him too? I wondered this at the time of the Suh / Bradford debate tho...what if we'd given up our entire draft outside of the first pick, to grab both? Obv we wouldn't need to do that for Floyd, just the leftfield idea

Kinda crazy, perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyjames View Post
    If we took Blackmon at six, I wonder what number Floyd would fall to. And what it might take to trade up and take him too? I wondered this at the time of the Suh / Bradford debate tho...what if we'd given up our entire draft outside of the first pick, to grab both? Obv we wouldn't need to do that for Floyd, just the leftfield idea

Kinda crazy, perhaps
    If we get Blackmon and Floyd, it'll probably be the GSOT v2.0

As for Osemele, I was referring to drafting him to play OG. I don't see him as a great tackle, but a dominant guard in the mold of a Phil Loadholt/Leonard Davis type player who just engulfs everyone and physically dominates. Lining him up at LG would definitely make things easier for the smaller 6'2 300lb Wells and the average strengthed Saffold.

sonnyjames is offline Registered User

If we get Blackmon and Floyd, it'll probably be the GSOT v2.0
    It's kinda silly, but it could also set us up for years. Maybe both our 2s (and perhaps a bit?) for Floyd, if he's still there at 18/19? I'd definitely be tempted, if that were the case...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

As some have said, the more holes we can fill in FA, the more we can focus on WR in the draft.

If Blackmon falls to #6, he's the obvious first choice. Without a trade up, we won't have a shot at Floyd, so for the second WR it will come down to Jeffrey (he scares me as a prospect), Randle (intrigued, but not sold), Hill (updside, but raw) and Wright (will need to have a good Pro Day) as the best second round options. Moving to Rounds 3-4, I'd look at Tommy Streeter, Nick Toon, Chris Givens, T.Y. Hilton and (if you don't mind waiting) Ryan Broyles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast