Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Drafting Curry at #2 concerns me for one reason

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    123 tackles, 5 sacks,12 PDef,5 INTs, 1TD.

That's the production that Urlacher provided in his best stat year. Pretty awesome stuff until you know that The Bears were 7-9 that year.Urlacher's impact didn't even solidify his defense as a team; 24th vs the run, 27th vs the pass...

Their OTs...dunno who they were but 43 sacks given up, 30th in run O,15 in pass O... doesn't sound too good to me.

Moral of the story:

A great LB doesn't alone doesn't have that big an effect on team performance or success as a whole but a weak O-line is crippling.

Better to divide our resources over several spots on the D to improve the whole.These 2nd-4th round guys don't need to be world beaters; just as good as they should be for their draft position. That alone will make a huge difference.

We have potentially a very good O-line with the addition of a top new OT. A unit that will affect much more of the team positively than any LB. Longer and more consistently.

OTenze: the new draft supplement that actually makes your team bigger, for longer, and higher performing all around.

EDIT: just looked up Da Bear OTs for that year..John Tait,Fred Miller, and John St Clair....hmmmm there's something familiar about a couple of those names...something old and painful...
    Of course they went to a Super Bowl with those exact same OTs. And leading the way to that Super Bowl? A top 5 defense led by All-Pro Brian Urlacher.

P.S. I would disagree that 2007 was his best stat year. In fact, I would say it was a less-than-average year for him. But that's a different discussion.
    Last edited by HUbison; -03-26-2009 at 10:48 AM.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, I think I have been looking at this draft all wrong until HUb just reminded me of something. Yes, Curry would be a solid defensive defensive piece to the puzzle. Here's what I've been missing, the Rams aren't winning this year either. It's a wicked scenario, build up the defense but keep the offense in a porous state if we go Curry in Round 1. Go OT in Round 1 and the defense probably is just as bad as last year. Maybe not so much if we draft Lauranitis but still not as stingy as it would be with Curry. So, what do you do?

Here's the thing with drafting Curry. If we draft Curry, do we expose Bulger to just as many hits as he has taken in the past thus being stuck next year wondering if we draft OT or QB in Round 1?

If we draft Curry, do we expose Bulger to just as many hits as he has taken in the past thus being stuck next year wondering if we draft OT or QB in Round 1?
    Under the vertical Coryell-inspired offense of the past 10 years........yes, Bulger would remain exposed. However, under the WCO, the ball will not be in Bulger's hands nearly as long.

The system itself will keep (at least should keep) Bulger from as many hits.
    Last edited by HUbison; -03-26-2009 at 12:16 PM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I don't think so HUb, due to the fact that WCO, Martz offense, whatever, the protection will not be there for Bulger if we go into next season with Bell at T. I just don't see it. Especially if Barron is at LT. Bulger will get pummeled.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I don't think so HUb, due to the fact that WCO, Martz offense, whatever, the protection will not be there for Bulger if we go into next season with Bell at T. I just don't see it. Especially if Barron is at LT. Bulger will get pummeled.
    It's simple, tx. Which QB stands the better chance of being vertical at the end of a play..........the QB who releases the ball after 2 seconds? or after 4 seconds?

Well, when the opposing defense seemed to be getting to Bulger faster than 2 seconds last year, does it matter?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Well, when the opposing defense seemed to be getting to Bulger faster than 2 seconds last year, does it matter?
    Agreed on that. Last year I think opposing Ds were closing in on Marc at the same time the exchange from center was occuring. It wasn't so much a question of if he'd be sacked, but rather would he be sacked before the exchange took place ..

Hyperbole aside, Shurmur's offense will protect Bulger a heck of a lot better with the same personnel.

Not to say OT isn't still a priority, but the scheme alone will protect Bulger better than he's been protected in a long, long time.

Ok HUb, that seems to be the prevailing thought here, but I've also double bagged groceries to protect the groceries from breaking out of the bag and they still did it.

Here's a thought....what happens if Jackson gets hurt? We begin relying on the backup RB's we have for this so called "power running" game and there is no one on this roster right now that can pull it off. That turns this whole scheme into a nightmare as far as I can see with this O line we have now.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -03-26-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Moral of the story:

A great LB doesn't alone doesn't have that big an effect on team performance or success as a whole but a weak O-line is crippling.
    Apples to oranges. That's comparing the impact of one player on defense to five together on offense. If you want to compare one-to-one, you'd have to look at the difference an offensive tackle makes versus the difference a single linebacker makes.

So you might ask who has had more to do with the success of the Ravens: Ray Lewis or Jonathan Ogden? Or for the Steelers, it would be James Farrior or James Harrison vs. Max Starks or Marvel Smith?

I'd also point out that while we've seen a lot of top tier offensive tackles in the last couple years (when was the last time one didn't go in the top five?), Curry is rare enough a talent at linebacker to warrant consideration at the top. I'd wager that there will be a number of early options at offensive tackle next year, but I'm not sure when an opportunity to draft a prospect like Curry at linebacker would come around.

It's that way every year. The Rams just happen to be in a position to draft either an outstanding OLB or an outstanding OT. You really can't call Curry an outstanding MLB because he hasn't played that position yet. Is it that much difference between outside and inside? Don't know. To me, it seems it would be. To HUb, he doesn't think so. I do love the intensity that Curry would bring to the defense, something that's been missing since that great MLB in my avatar was on the Rams.

So, what do you do? I don't know. I do know that every year, people say "this guy can't miss, or that guy is a lock" and every year one of those is a bust. I just hope whoever the Rams take isn't one of them.

I'm not going so far as to say he's a great NFL linebacker, but he's a great prospect.

My point is that in the last ten years, an offensive lineman was taken in the top 5 in 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, and 2008. The only time in the last decade a linebacker cracked the top 5 was in 2007.

Here's a quick list of top 10 offensive tackles versus top 10 linebackers in the same period.
    OT - Jake Long 1st, Joe Thomas 3rd, D'Brickashaw Ferguson 4th, Robert Gallery 2nd, Jordan Gross 8th, Mike Williams 4th, Bryant McKinnie 7th, Levi Jones 10th, Leonard Davis 2nd, Chris Samuels 3rd
    Total - 10
    LB - Vernon Gholston 6th, Keith Rivers 9th, Jerod Mayo 10th, A.J. Hawk 5th, Terrell Suggs 10th, Brian Urlacher 9th
    Total - 6

It's worth noting that Gholston and Suggs were actually college defensive ends and probably would have projected to that position in a 4-3. For whatever reason, linebackers are less commonly judged to be worthy of an early first round pick.

My whole thing is this: I don't see how Bulger stays upright if we don't get an OT that can start. There isn't an OT in Round 2 that I feel can start for the Rams. Now, I know that everyone is saying that the scheme the Rams are going to be running will keep Bulger upright however, if we can't run block and it comes down to 3rd and 8 Bulger is going to get creamed again for the third year in a row.

That would not be good, no matter how great our defense would be playing with Curry in the middle.

Yeah, I can see that. We're probably not going anywhere until we can shore up the protection. I do wonder if we couldn't find a reasonable option either in the second round or via a free agent pickup who could at least tide us over until we found a long-term solution.

For example, isn't Marvel Smith still a free agent? He's 30 years old and coming back from injury, but he has been pretty effective for the Steelers in years past.

Quote Originally Posted by tx
    My whole thing is this: I don't see how Bulger stays upright if we don't get an OT that can start.
    You see, tx, in the West Coast Offen.......sigh; you're just not gonna give it another thought, are you big guy?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast