MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Drafting a Defensive Tackle in the 1st Rd?

Over the last two years in this forum I have seen numerous negative references to the Rams selecting defensive tackles with a first round pick. Namely D-Lew, Ryan Pickett, (when we had Ryan there were many who thought he was a bust) and Jimmy Kennedy. Since it appears that our current D-Line is underachieving, why would it be so bad to spend another #1 pick on a defensive lineman? If a guy is there that Linny and Haz think is worth the pick -- then we should go for it. Just because we picked and lost in the past, doesn't mean we can't pick a winner this time around. What I am trying to say is that IMHO, you can't approach the draft being afraid to fail ...

If a good DT becomes available in free agency and won't break the bank -- fine! Sign him! But that shouldn't preclude us going DT again in round 1 ...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Drafting a Defensive Tackle in the 1st Rd?

My first choice would be to sign a FA DT. If there isn't one available, I wouldn't be opposed to taking one in the draft, but I would not do so in the first round.

Country is offline Registered User

DT Is the most common bust position in the draft so it concerns me to spend a big pick on them.

The only DT that I would really want at our pick in the 1st rd is DT Alan Branch from Michigan, but we have no reasonable shot at getting him I say we take a safer pick at S, LB, DE.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Iím with AV on this one. The learning curve for the DT position takes a few years. It seems once you teach the player the position and he can now produce you canít afford to sign him long term. FA is the way to go, at least you can get a return on the investment if the player is in his prime. If we draft one maybe it should come in the later rounds, hey we drafted Marques Hagans with a 5th, I hear he is a hell of a practice player.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    My first choice would be to sign a FA DT. If there isn't one available, I wouldn't be opposed to taking one in the draft, but I would not do so in the first round.
    Problem is, this really doesn't appear to be a strong class at the defensive tackle position, nor do I really think there are a load of quality free agent DTs that would fill more than a stop-gap role. We need to find someone to anchor that interior line, and someone for the long term. If we have a shot at one of the underclassmen like Branch (it would have to be a trade up at this point) or Okam if they declare, I'd go for it. I'm not sure it's worth spending a pick on a DT outside the top two or three rounds, based on the kind of talent we need at the position combined with what this class offers.

ramsown is offline Registered User

we def. need to pick one up. and i think grady jackson who who looked at earlier would have made a good choice. but branch would be superb but not good chance at gettin him.

but yes FA or draft and its a big need.