Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Drafting Dorsey would highlight the lack of trust fans have in the Front Office

If the Rams select Glenn Dorsey with the second pick it will mean two things:

1. That the Front Office believes he is the best prospect available; and
    2. That the Front Office believes he is medically able to perform.

And if I do a poll the next day and ask whether fans trust that the Front Office made the right decision, I can almost guarantee you that a heavy majority will say "no."

To an extent, that's not all that surprising. Fans frequently are able to convince themselves that they know better than the people who run their team. But, in this case, I think there is more going on than just that.

Let's face it, as a group, Rams fans don't trust their front office. Indeed, many have reached the point at which the GSOT is viewed, not as an accomplishment by Shaw, Zygmunt and Co., but rather as an example of the "blind squirrel" axiom.

Bill Devaney is the new kid in town and, perhaps, its unfair to paint him with the same brush. But I think that fans will do so until convinced otherwise.

I can't exempt myself from any of this. If Dorsey's name is called, I think my first reaction will be "man... I sure hope they know what they're doing."

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Drafting Dorsey would highlight the lack of trust fans have in the Front Office

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I can't exempt myself from any of this. If Dorsey's name is called, I think my first reaction will be "man... I sure hope they know what they're doing."
    They won't have to draft Dorsey to get that reaction out of me, as I'll be nervous about whoever they pick. I have to admit that I have been leaning more and more toward the blind squirrel theory. I hope Billy D. will help the Rams turn over a new leaf when it comes to the draft. Hopefully we'll find a gem or two in the later rounds this year. Hope .. hope .. hope ...!?

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

Re: Drafting Dorsey would highlight the lack of trust fans have in the Front Office

i think the main problem for most fans would be the drafting of Carriker last year. Drafting Dorsey would mean one of Carriker or Dorsey would have to play at a position where he would not be his best, or we would have to work a rotation of Dorsey, Carriker, Ryan and Glover in at tackle.
    while it could work, its a waste of cap space and talent.

I think also that if you look at the Rams roster and our sack totals last year, we are severely lacking at DE. We also had massive OL problems last year. Which would suggest both Longs or Gholston would be a better pick

Dorsey might be a great player, but he isnt the standout best player at the top of the draft. And the much publicised injury issues also offer more discomfort for the fans of whichever team he is picked by

I think the problem with grabbing Dorsey for most Rams fans is that they can come up with more reasons not to draft him than to actually take him.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

The obviously scary thing about the draft and all the hype that surrounds certain players (C. Long, J.Long, Dorsey, Gholston,) is they are moving UP to the next level. The NFL players are the elite of the college ranks. In my mind C. Long or Gholston is the way to go but a great argument can be made for J. Long and Dorsey. I guess in the long run for me any one of those 4 will put a smile on my face. It's a question of need and which player is more ready for the big step up.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I sort of agree with Tomahawk...in a way. I'm beginning to wonder why we ever drafted Carriker. I think he's a tweener on the D line, not a DT but not a DE. Watch, in four years Carriker won't be in the NFL.

The Special One is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Watch, in four years Carriker won't be in the NFL.
    I for one definately don't think so. He showed great promise last year, and played well at DT, which wasn't the original position he played in at college (DE). With years to come, I think he'll become more and more comfortable at the tackle position and prove very effective.

Drafting Dorsey is a real worry to me. There's an almost certian chance his injury will come back to him at some point or other in his career. I just don't think it's worth the risk, to waste the golden opportunity we have with the #2 pick, on a player that may well have an injury plagued career. Definately not worth it in my opinion.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Great Post AV. I feel the same, if Dorsey name is called I will think they must have missed with AC. When it comes too the draft and the FO, Last year second round pick of BL. How will we ever get a return on a guy that is too small to play FB and has already been splitting time with Pittman who was a third round pick. A second round pick for a back up will not get it done. Does Al have a plan too use BL, maybe, maybe not he was not here when we took him?

Then we have Hagen QB/WR, Alston cut, Wroten maybe cut soon. thats two more third round picks down the drain.

I hope the Rams let Bill Devaney do his job.
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-10-2008 at 11:28 AM.

RamCAN is offline Registered User

It may be impossible to appease ram fans this year as there is such a need for a home run pick and no patience for development. The pressure on our #2 pick, no matter who, is going to be huge, more this year than ever. Personally I would be disappointed with Dorsey also, only because we can't take chances with health and such factors. We need a quick impact guy, and yes, in the first year!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I sort of agree with Tomahawk...in a way. I'm beginning to wonder why we ever drafted Carriker. I think he's a tweener on the D line, not a DT but not a DE. Watch, in four years Carriker won't be in the NFL.
    Geez, Tx. Now you're on Carriker's case? I thought it was just Tye Hill that you didn't like.

I'll tell you what... let's make a bet. If Carriker is not in the NFL in four years, you win. If he is selected for a Pro Bowl in the next four years, I win. If neither happens, its a push.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tx
    Watch, in four years Carriker won't be in the NFL.
    I'll take that bet!
    Quote Originally Posted by AV
    If Dorsey's name is called, I think my first reaction will be "man... I sure hope they know what they're doing."
    I think you said it best a couple of days ago......you'll be worried if we draft Dorsey, you'll be worried if we don't draft Dorsey.

Exactly.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Slightly believe that my "bet" was a rhetorical thought but it may not have come over that way. I'm not really on Carriker's case though. He plays hard. I just don't really know if there is a position for him and I think he's going to have an injury that's going to hamper his play due to him not really fitting anywhere on the D line.

Anyway, ahhh......go St. Louis Cardinals baseball

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I'll take the bet too, Tx. I mean come on, that would have to be a failure greater than Jimmy Kennedy, who is under contract to the Jaguars at the moment. He's still in the NFL, how could Carriker fall out so fast?

More importantly, Carriker was highly praised last year for one, moving to a brand new position(ok, he played a very little DT, but not NT, when the Huskers went to a 4-3) his rookie year, stood up well against the run and took on multiple blockers. His stats were overshadowed by fellow rookie Ryan, however teams were much more concerned about Carriker than Ryan, and so Ryan had many less double teams. Both AC and Ryan had great rookie campaigns and that's why the Clan has pretty universally tagged them as our twin starters. In the back of my mind, I expect it still to be a Glover/AC starting duo, while Ryan continues to learn a grow, but Ryan could start a few games, I'm sure.

As for Dorsey, I like him a lot, but not for our team now, because AC and Ryan showed so much promise. Could it come back and haunt us, of course, but when you have massive holes, you can't plug them by supporting the wall. Carriker is perfectly suited frame-wise and weight-wise to be a 4-3 UT/3Tech DT/whatever you want to call it. His strength allows him to be used as a nose, trying to take on the double teams and he's more than willing to take on those double teams to benefit everyone else, which is key to the nose. So no, I don't think he's a tweener, because he has made himself into a DT for a 4-3 and from all reports last year, was taking to it like a Ram on a mountain.

Dorsey is an excellent player, and any team would benefit from having him, but I will wonder what the team is thinking if we take him. After that, I won't be able to wait till we see the new donut brothers take on offensive lines and pummel them.

Wow, did I knock down a hornets nest or what?

At least I keep it lively.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Wow, did I knock down a hornets nest or what?

At least I keep it lively.
    tx, my man, it's an opportunistic capitalist society. If we see a way to make a quick buck, we jump on it.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I'm with tomahawk. We need a DE. We got two DE's last season and both performed fairly well being rookies. I think we could pass on Dorsey, sure some will wonder why, but getting Dorsey doesnt address our pass rush because Carriker is too large to play DE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast