Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Drafting Dorsey would highlight the lack of trust fans have in the Front Office

With all the questions and issues surrounding Dorsey, it will be extremely interesting to hear what the Rams team doctors have to say after evaluating him in a few days.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: Drafting Dorsey would highlight the lack of trust fans have in the Front Office

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I'm with tomahawk. We need a DE. We got two DE's last season and both performed fairly well being rookies. I think we could pass on Dorsey, sure some will wonder why, but getting Dorsey doesnt address our pass rush because Carriker is too large to play DE.
    Moose, I think you meant "we got 2 DT'a last season....."

I agree the emphasis in this draft needs to be on DE and OT with WR and CB to follow.

Having said that I really think if we draft Chris Long or Jake Long we'll be OK. I know you like Gholston, but I just feel the risk/reward quotient is too high with him because he could be a boom/bust type player and we cannot afford that in this draft. I also think Linehan will opt away from that type of risk because he's unemployed if we falter next year.

Go Rams!:r

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I'm with tomahawk. We need a DE. We got two DE's last season and both performed fairly well being rookies. I think we could pass on Dorsey, sure some will wonder why, but getting Dorsey doesnt address our pass rush because Carriker is too large to play DE.
    Actually, there is a decent chance he would, because Dorsey would likely command a double team. This in turn means that both Ends would likely be single covered, so speed is slightly less of a priority in the DEs. Dorsey would help the pass rush.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I tend to agree that we, the fans, don't generally trust the front office because many of the moves in the past few years that have seemed questionable at the time have in fact turned out to be bad ideas. Drafting Klopfenstein and Byrd within the first three rounds didn't seem like such a good idea, and sure enough it wasn't. I liked picking up Wroten in the third, but it was still a gamble that didn't pay off. Even before Linehan got here, letting Fisher and Wistrom leave in consecutive years seemed like a bad idea with only Tony Hargrove to step in. Sure enough, Hargrove was gone inside a year and a half, and now we're hurting bad for a defensive end. Letting Curtis walk and signing Bennett was another unpopular choice, and look where it has gotten us so far.

Hypothetically, if the front office had made a few more of the decisions most of the fanbase thought they should, we could be in much better position now. I'm not saying they should just do whatever will make the fans happy, but when was the last time they did something we were all skeptical about and they proved us wrong?
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -04-10-2008 at 06:30 PM.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamCAN View Post
    Personally I would be disappointed with Dorsey also, only because we can't take chances with health and such factors. We need a quick impact guy, and yes, in the first year!
    Ironically, Dorsey is arguably the player who would have this biggest impact as a rookie. His ability, toughness, and fear he places into the heart of offenses would cause them to change the way they do things. He would need to be gameplanned for, and therefore, create openings for other defensive players to shine. So to basically sum it up, if you are looking for impact, then it is wrong of you to look past Dorsey. Not to take anything away from Long or Gholston, cause both of them will surely create a stir and get alot of pressure, but IMO they would not be a player the offense needs to find on the field before every play in their first season.

general counsel is offline Registered User

To me, if we pick dorsey, its going to mean that not only do we think he is healthy today, but that there is no materially greater risk of injury in the future to him than anyone else. It will mean that the front office believes he is clearly the best available guy and best fit for our team. Its one thing to decide the current injury issues are blown out of proportion, its entirely a different thing to bet the second pick on the draft on it when there are other viable candidates available.

Could he be the next sapp? sure. Could he be the next damione lewis injury wise? Sure. Are we desparate for defensive tackle? No. Thus, to me, need and injury risk (compared to the longs) both count against dorsey. Therefore, the only way to pick him is if you think he is far and away a more talented and impact player than the other options and i just dont see that.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Moose, I think you meant "we got 2 DT'a last season....."

I agree the emphasis in this draft needs to be on DE and OT with WR and CB to follow.

Having said that I really think if we draft Chris Long or Jake Long we'll be OK. I know you like Gholston, but I just feel the risk/reward quotient is too high with him because he could be a boom/bust type player and we cannot afford that in this draft. I also think Linehan will opt away from that type of risk because he's unemployed if we falter next year.

Go Rams!:r
    Oh no no no. I would prefer Chris Long over Gholston any day of the week. It's just I cant seem to make a good avatar with Chris Long in it, and I'm too lazy to change it back to what it used to be.

And yes I did mean two DT's not two DE's. E is close to the T key.

I'm still not sure about Dorsey however, it is said that Dorsey can cause a double team, but we're not even sure about that. He could turn out to be an average DT in the NFL. We won't know, but getting a DE could fill a position we need serious help.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

I would love to see Dorsey in a Rams uniform. I really dont think the Rams can go wrong this year though. Chris Long, Jake Long, Glenn Dorsey, and even Darren McFadden are all studs and I will be surprised if any of them dont carry that into the NFL.

At the same time I have my preferences. I would love to see Wroten, Dorsey, and Carriker in a 3-4. Think thats a big enough d-line?

Either way. I think this is the one year where you dont have to worry. There's too much talent here to make the wrong choice.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    when was the last time they did something we were all skeptical about and they proved us wrong?
    I actually had to give that some thought. I guess for me it would be the decision to keep Leonard Little after his jail term.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

I actually had to give that some thought. I guess for me it would be the decision to keep Leonard Little after his jail term.
    Had to dig back a while did we?

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    Ironically, Dorsey is arguably the player who would have this biggest impact as a rookie.
    I wouldn't hold my breath. Historically, first round defensive tackles generally make little impact as rookies. In the last ten drafts, there are only a few examples (Okoye, Henderson, Simon) that are exceptions to this rule. Maybe Dorsey adds his name to that list, but he's playing at a position where it's incredible tough to come in and make a big impact right away.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I wouldn't hold my breath. Historically, first round defensive tackles generally make little impact as rookies. In the last ten drafts, there are only a few examples (Okoye, Henderson, Simon) that are exceptions to this rule. Maybe Dorsey adds his name to that list, but he's playing at a position where it's incredible tough to come in and make a big impact right away.
    You beat me to it. He (like any other college player in the draft) is a success or bust. We won't know until they start to play in the NFL.

For all we know, Jake and Chris Long may not perform as well as we think in the NFL also. Or they could do better and make the probowl. We just won't know until the season starts.

But, I believe the fantastic four will have big years this year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12