Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By DE_Ramfan
  • 1 Post By Nick
  • 1 Post By Fortuninerhater
  • 1 Post By BarronWade

Thread: Drafting a DT in the 1st round?

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Drafting a DT in the 1st round?

Okay in case you guys have not seen in Todd McShay's latest nfl mock draft he has the rams getting Patterson, Eddie Lacy (2nd round) and a Defensive Tackle Sylvester Williams with the #22 pick

And eventhough it has not been the majority I have seen some mock draft with the Rams going DT in the first round...

The reason im against going in that direction is because I believe we are set on the line with our starters but here is what McShay wrote about a DT for the Rams:

" St. Louis got an offensive playmaker earlier, and Williams would round things out nicely for the Rams in the first round. Defensive tackle isn't a pressing need, but they are in a position to draft for value, and if the St. Louis defense is going to take the next step it needs depth along the interior. Chris Long, Robert Quinn, Michael Brockers and Kendall Langford are already in place, and Williams would deepen the rotation so the Rams could come after offenses relentlessly for four quarters. He shed some weight and got quicker last season, and at worst the Rams would get a guy with power who flashes explosive playmaking ability and the potential to be a solid disrupter for a long time."

What do you guys think about this and getting a DT in the first round? And do you guys agree with McShay about the Rams needing another D-lineman to "Take the next step."

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Drafting a DT in the 1st round?

Depends. If its amazing value (like Sharrif Floyd) I'd take it. The thing is, people may be down on Kendall Langford, but he didn't get many opportunities. Fisher liked to swing in Sims and Hayes on certain rushing downs, and the emergence of Quinn and Brockers means less action for other guys.

I'm high on our line and like it, but I am not against adding depth. I'd prefer to do it in later rounds. If its someone like Williams, I'll pass. If it's someone like Floyd were talking about, I'd take him.

THE DREAM TEAM

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

No, I don't agree with McShay.

Right now, we have four quality starters (Long, Quinn, Langford, Brockers), quality depth at DE (Hayes, Sims) and a rotation player at DT (Cudjo). I think we need to add another DT to the rotation, but that can be accompished on Day 3 of the draft.

Taking a DT early would make sense only if there was a DT who was clearly the BPA. In my opinion, the likelihood that Sylvester Williams will be the BPA at #22 is extremely remote. Therefore, I would be extremely surprised to see the Rams take a DT in Round 1.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Not a need but if its the BPA I could see the reasoning behind it. Teams like the Whiners and Squawks are going to come at you with that power running game and the more quality guys you have on the D-line to rotate in the better you'll be in the 4th quarter.
    TekeRam and ManofGod like this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

To answer your questions, I don't envision a scenario where Sylvester Williams represents such a greater value on the board than any other available prospect that the Rams would take him at 22. If I'm listing things the Rams need in order to take the next step, DT depth wouldn't be high on the list.

That's not to say that there isn't any value to it, though, or that the Rams shouldn't/won't take a DT if that player represents the clear BPA. If the value is there and better than the other prospects available, it should be a consideration. Let's say the draft goes like this...

KC: Joeckel
    JAX: Jordan
    OAK: Floyd
    PHI: Fisher
    DET: Ansah
    CLE: Milliner
    ARI: L. Johnson
    BUF: G. Smith
    NYJ: Patterson
    TEN: Vaccaro
    SD: Cooper
    MIA: Austin
    TB: Lotulelei
    CAR: Warmack
    NO: Jones

With the 16th pick, the Rams are looking at their choice between Sheldon Richardson, Xavier Rhodes, and... who else? Mingo? Datone Jones? Fluker? Keenan Allen?

I think you could make a case that Richardson is the best value there based on the board, and in that situation, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rams take him and immediately put him into a rotation with Langford.

I don't think it's an ideal scenario, and it would be wise for them to explore a trade down, but I wouldn't be shocked if they pulled the trigger on a value pick that isn't necessarily considered a big need.
    MauiRam likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Well, McShay has accomplished his goal. Getting us to debate his mock draft pick. He really needs to get a better grade of "weed".

Go Rams!

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

If all the players the Rams considered taking at 22 are gone, it is not time to take a player that we don't necessarily need because he may be the best on the board. It is time to look for a trade down and accumulate more picks IMO.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    If all the players the Rams considered taking at 22 are gone, it is not time to take a player that we don't necessarily need because he may be the best on the board. It is time to look for a trade down and accumulate more picks IMO.
    We agree on this one. Les will definitely try to trade down and accumulate picks if he's not liking what he sees at #22. The trick will be to find a trading partner who will give fair value for the pick. I suspect if there are some QB's there someone early in round 2 will look to make a deal.

Go Rams!
    Last edited by mde8352gorams; -03-28-2013 at 02:33 PM.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Agreed. The depth of this draft is its strength and getting more early round picks with the new CBA would be great.

McShay is weird. I like him and generally agree with most of his analysis of players but I always hate his mocks. I wouldn't want to take a player at a position where the starters are already set and I also wouldn't want to draft a DT at #22 considering how high the bust rate is at that position.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

I won't even touch this topic, when suggested that we take BPA approach and at the time the thought was to go with Star b/c of our issues at DT. You guys went crazy!

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Floyd, Lotulelei, and Sheldon Richardson are the only DT's I'd consider drafting in the 1st round; if they're all gone I'd rather go Safety, OL, or WR

punahou is offline Registered User

......... I would like to hope NEED comes before GREED for the Rams. And NEEDY positions for us really aren't DT atm. This would definitely be a head scratcher for me, and would make me feel like we have the past 3 regimes still drafting for us.

lostsoul is offline Registered User

Not in the 1st, I would wait until the 3rd or later. Maybe take a guy like Bennie Logan in the 3rd.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    I won't even touch this topic, when suggested that we take BPA approach and at the time the thought was to go with Star b/c of our issues at DT. You guys went crazy!
    It is very hard to imagine a scenario where we would take a DT...But if there was I see Star being the most likely it would give a run stopping interior line rotation

However I agree its very hard to envision us going defensive line 3 years straight...and yes I would be surprised if we took a dt in the first but it would be a pleasant surprise because it would certainly give this team that identity on defense if they have not established one yet
    ManofGod likes this.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

The numbers last year's defensive line put up were great. Using Nick's idea above, I believe Mingo would be a solid choice for us. BPA is the conversation, and Mingo over Richardson presents a better fit for our front 7 than a rotational first round DT.

Mingo adds another LSU product on defense and creates a stout unit against the running game. In a 4-3 base, Mingo could generate a nice rush, and gives us a 1 to 2 punch with our other OLB in a Nickel set where we have more DB's lined up to protect against the pass. I wouldn't hate the idea of Mingo falling to us at all.