View Poll Results: Draft a replacement for OJ Atogwae in the early rounds?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, its too much to spend, draft a replacement

7 33.33%
  • No, pay da man!!!!

14 66.67%
    The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

Drafting A Safety

I'm finding it hard to believe that the Rams are going to pay OJ Atogwae 7 mil for the 2011 season, when Polamalu was paid 4.3 mil in 2010. Now, not to put down Atogwae, but Polamalu is a once in a lifetime player.

I don't believe its fair to the rest of the Rams defenders if one player is grossly overpaid, while the rest of them have to cut a deal. Nor do I believe its a sound business decision, what leverage will the Rams FO have with Laurinaitis when his contract has to be renewed?

Please check my facts, im not a contract expert, but Atogwae should not make more, as much, or slightly less than Polamalu. What about Ed Reed? Bob Sanders? Daren Sharper? Antrell Rolle? Brian Dawkins? Hell... Earl Thomas and Eric Berry had more picks than Atogwae this season, and they're rookies. Although order is up for debate, any way you wanna look at it, there's a long list of names before OJ Atogwae.

His paycheck is just too much...

So what does the clanram think of drafting a replacement? Possibly 1st or 2nd?

LARAM is offline Registered User

Re: Drafting A Safety

I think Robert Sands, Safety from West Virginia, 6'5 220lbs. would be a nice scoop up in the 2nd round. He's a projected 2nd rounder so it's not far fetched. He reminds me of Randy Moss only on the defensive side of the ball.....His size is kinda freakish. I'm really pulling for this guy.

Judaxi is offline Registered User

I understand where you are coming from with this post, and agree with it partially. However I would have to point out a few things I disagree with. First, there are many defenses that have players that are grossly overpaid while everyone else has their smaller contracts. This is the NFL, that's what happens. The second I would say while Atogwe may not be a Palamalu or an Ed Reed (I live in Baltimore I know all about the man) he is a really good free safety. He has proven that he can be a ball hawk, and while some people knock his coverage skills I would say he is a good cover man as well. The problem with ball hawks like Atogwe and Ed Reed is they gamble sometimes and get burnt, it happens. The final problem I have with not resigning Atogwe is that there are sill holes on our team that we need to fill, why create another? Our defense has made leaps and bounds this year and I would love to see them continue to improve, if you take Atogwe out that is one more hole we have to fill not just statistically but leadership as well. Atogwe is an extremely intelligent man who helps set up our defense as well as share his veteran knowledge. In the end do I think he is worth 11 mill? no probably not, but we only payed him 4 mil this year so its more like 7 mil a year averaged out, and I am ok with paying that for him.

San Diego Ram is offline Registered User

Well the st Louis rams have to blame themselves for the cost of atogwe. The past two years we have a chance to sign the man to a deal. But it never got done.

shower beers is offline Registered User

When they constructed this deal, they obviously had a plan for this, so it's no surprise that they find themselves with this situation. Whether the plan is to restructure or pay him, I think both parties had to be aware of what would happen before they came to an agreement.

I think we'll just have to be patient with this one, but I don't feel he's going anywhere.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

no way we have too many holes to let OJ go. I'm all for drafting a safety to replace Craig Dahl. That dude is terrible.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Why create more holes, when we don't have salary cap and Kroenke's money isn't running out anytime soon. First and second round picks are premier picks and I don't want a safety that early unless the guy is special. I don't see a safety worth drafting at 14 let alone in round 1.

OJ is so much more than the stats to this team he is high character guy the definition of the 4 pillars loved by the coaches and players. He is a team captain and a crucial piece in our secondary is he as a good as Reed or Polomalu no, but I think he is extremely important to this defense and depending on what happens with the CBA I think he would be willing to restructure to stay here.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

OJ is a team captain, a defensive leader, and a veteran mentor. He is one of the most important assets our team has. He fits our 4 pillars philosophy, and is a well-respected guy by both the players and the staff. His impact goes far beyond the stat sheet. We need this guy. Find a way to get this deal done and keep OJ on the field.

richtree is offline Registered User

restructure the deal.....he knows in the NFL's current state no team is going to pay him even 3 million a year....

if he doesn't want to he has to go...sorry...

The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

I can't believe there's this many ppl who believe in over paying Atogwae... Atogwae is not irreplaceable. We have leaders (James Laurinaitis). There are better safeties, being paid much less (Polamalu). I think some fans have a parting-anxiety-disorder-phobia...

Atogwae is owed an 8 million dollar bonus this year (in addition to his 4.5 mill salary), and 7 million dollars every year after. The logical move is to either re-negotiate or say goodbye.
    Last edited by The Optimistic Lamb; -01-18-2011 at 10:27 PM.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    I can't believe there's this many ppl who believe in over paying Atogwae... Atogwae is not irreplaceable. We have leaders (James Laurinaitis). There are better safeties, being paid much less (Polamalu). I think some fans have a parting-anxiety-disorder-phobia...

Atogwae is owed an 8 million dollar bonus this year (in addition to his 4.5 mill salary), and 7 million dollars every year after. The logical move is to either re-negotiate or say goodbye.
    Amen, we have got to make sound business decisions. Truth is we can find a better safety & pay him less money. Period!

richtree is offline Registered User

I think there is a guy in Will Hill, Safety out of Florida that has 1st Round talent that has slipped in the draft due to Florida losing some games this season.

He was a top 3 Overall athlete coming out of high school. He will fly up draft boards once the combine workouts are over.

He was projected as a 1st round pick and fallen to 4th round in some mocks. He has size, speed, and strength making him a legit NFL starter as a rookie.

He is a legit athlete that played QB, RB, DB, and special teams for a national power in high school.

People called him the next Darren Sharper. He is exactly what we need, a natural athletic freak that can make plays.

I personally told you Kenny Britt would be a star due to the fact that I had personal contact with him. I personally have contact with Will Hill as well and know that he is indeed a NFL starter for years to come.

Round 2 Will Hill, Safety -- Rams starter Week 1 -- make it happen