Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

DT BJ Raji had positive drug test at combine

Defensive tackle B.J. Raji, whose draft stock has soared over the past six months, had a positive drug test at February's combine, NFL team sources have told SI.com. It's unknown to SI.com which drug triggered the positive result, but NFL scouts were made aware before the 2008 season that Raji had tested positive for marijuana during his time at Boston College.

NFL teams will receive the official list of those who tested positive in Indianapolis later this month, and Raji's name will be on it, according to a source who attended last week's owners meetings in California.
    now this is obviously a red flag against Raji if its true, especially putting off the Rams who had so many problems with Claude Wroten and drugs. Although it was very unlikely Raji would have gone No.2 overall anyway. However, the vague source of "NFL team sources" could suggest this is misinformation designed to make Raji drop lower than he is expected to go. During the period of time between this coming out and NFL teams receiving the list of players who actually did test positive for drugs, NFL teams previously thinking of taking Raji might sour on him slightly in favour of similar rated candidates on their draft board.

Until the official list comes out saying who tested positive and who didnt, im not letting my opinion get affected. But this news will affect some peoples views, especially in the days where character is important to a lot of teams.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: DT BJ Raji had positive drug test at combine

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    However, the vague source of "NFL team sources" could suggest this is misinformation designed to make Raji drop lower than he is expected to go.
    I doubt it. Every NFL team is going to get that list, so either he's on it or he's not. If Raji did not test positive, there's no point in a misinformation campaign because NFL teams will get the list and see he's not on it. It wouldn't be a very good piece of misinformation if it can easily be proven to be false prior to the draft.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Nick,i agree with you

but i wouldnt be surprised if some team picking in the teens gave it a try in the slim chance he fell to them

but yeah, it doesnt seem to be anything but true, so how do you see this affecting his stock?

general counsel is offline Registered User

He will never make it to 35 anyway, but if he does, i bet we pass.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    He will never make it to 35 anyway, but if he does, i bet we pass.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I doubt he will make it either but it would be hard to pass on a guy that could be the best NT in the draft in the second round. Especially when he was considered a top 10 pick prior to the news and is at a big area of need.

Washington Twp. native B.J. Raji tests positive for drugs at NFL Combine

by Star-Ledger Staff Thursday April 02, 2009, 5:07 PM

Washington Twp. native B.J. Raji tested positive for drugs at the NFL Combine in February, according to a Sports Illustrated report.

The report, citing an anonymous source, said it is unclear which drug triggered the positive test.

The former Boston College and Westwood High School defensive tackle had seen his draft status skyrocket in recent months, with some scouting services and pundits projecting him as a Top 10 pick after a stellar senior season and strong performance at the combine.

However, in the wake of the positive test, his stock will likely fall at the NFL Draft, which will begin on April 25.

Raji declined to comment when he was reached by Sports Illustrated.

"We will not comment on rumors from unnamed sources," Brian Murphy, COO of Athletes First, which represents Raji, told Sports Illustrated. "I do know that B.J. has been one of the hardest workers and nicest individuals that we at Athletes First represent. There is no doubt that he will be an invaluable addition to an NFL team both on the field as a player and in the community as a role model."

NFL officials were made aware before the 2008 season that Raji tested positive for marijuana during his time at Boston College.

By testing positive for street drugs (marijuana is included in that definition) Raji is put in the initial stage of the NFL's drug program, in accordance with the league's drug policy. The initial stage means Raji is subject to random drug testing and will be fined or suspended for another positive test.

Source: Defensive tackle Raji tested positive at NFL Combine
    By Tony Pauline, Special to SI.com

Defensive tackle B.J. Raji, whose draft stock has soared over the past six months, had a positive drug test at February's combine, NFL team sources have told SI.com. It's unknown to SI.com which drug triggered the positive result, but NFL scouts were made aware before the 2008 season that Raji had tested positive for marijuana during his time at Boston College.

NFL teams will receive the official list of those who tested positive in Indianapolis later this month, and Raji's name will be on it, according to a source who attended last week's owners meetings in California.

Brian Murphy, Chief Operating Officer of Athletes First, which represents Raji, told SI.com: "We will not comment on rumors from unnamed sources. I do know that B.J. has been one of the hardest workers and nicest individuals that we at Athletes First represent. There is no doubt that he will be an invaluable addition to an NFL team both on the field as a player and in the community as a role model."

Raji declined comment when reached by SI.com.

According to the NFL's drug policy, a positive test for street drugs, which includes marijuana, puts a player into the initial stage of the NFL's drug program. He's then subject to random testing and subject to a fine or suspension if he tests positive again.

How this affects Raji's draft grade remains to be seen. He missed the 2007 college season with academic issues, returned to Boston College and had a terrific senior campaign, recording eight sacks and 42 tackles, with 16 tackles for loss. He was a dominant force during the week of practice at the Senior Bowl and continued his momentum up draft boards after turning in good combine and pro-day workouts. His performances the past three months have some scouts believing he'll be taken in the top third of the first round of the April 25 draft.

One source familiar with the positive drug test assessed Raji's draft prospects by saying, "It's a roll of the dice. If Raji stays clean and plays to his potential, you could have a dominant defensive lineman on your team. Then again, it does nobody any good if the kid is on the sidelines serving a suspension for a failed test."

Prior to the 1995 draft, top-rated defensive tackle Warren Sapp saw his stock slip after reports surfaced of positive drug tests during his time at the University of Miami, which he denied.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers eventually selected Sapp with the No. 12 overall pick. Sapp went on to play 13 seasons in the NFL, earning seven trips to the Pro Bowl.

My notes it looks like he will get random drug testing from the beginning of his NFL career. This would be a big red flag after two failed drug tests already I could see him falling down into the 20's I can't imagine to many of the early teams wanting to risk one failed drug test and a 4 game suspension. The difference between a Raji and Sapp is Raji has failed twice and the NFL has penalized drug suspensions more now. Also Sapp showed a real passion for the game which is sometimes questioned about Raji.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -04-02-2009 at 10:00 PM.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I hear you on the talent. Same argument on wroten. Given billy d's public statements about guys with character issues, i cant think of a bigger character flag than a drug failure at the combine, given that these guys know that they are going to be tested. This isnt something that happened in the past, its a current issue and it shows a complete lack of discipline.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Even if you set aside the morality element of using marijuana, I think you guys are right about the discipline issue. The guy knows he's going to be tested. The first time he got caught in college should have been a wake-up call if nothing else. Combined with his inability to stay eligible academically in 2007, I'd expect a lot of teams to have him red flagged as a kid who doesn't have his head in the game. I wouldn't be too surprised if he did fall hard on this news.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

How much this affects him probably depends on what exactly he tested positive for. If it's some kind of supplement that maybe he didn't know about, some team may be willing to overlook that.

If it's marijuana though, that's a problem. He reportedly tested positive for it during college, missed a season for academic reasons, and then tests positive again during the most important job interview of his life. It becomes a big red flag in terms of maturity and decision making, and that could cause him to slip.

That said, I have a hard time seeing him get beyond one of Denver's picks. They desperately need DL help in their 3-4 transition, and he'd be an ideal nose tackle for them. Furthest he slips, IMO, is Denver @ 18.

jbell15 Guest

Percy Harvin and Vontae davis tested positive for weed too.
    Per Nfldraftbible .com

cfh128 is offline Registered User

This means AV was dead nut accurate on picking this guy for the Bengals

We had the "donut brothers" with Timmerman and McCollum we could start a new era if we drafted Raji. We could have the "doobie brothers" in Raji and Wrotten.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -04-04-2009 at 03:53 PM.

smitheRAM is offline Registered User

this on nfl.com april 4th.

A website that focuses on the NFL draft recently reported that some draft-eligible players had tested positive for drugs. However, an NFL spokesman refuted that report Friday, saying “neither the 32 clubs nor the league office know the results of drug or steroid tests taken at the 2009 Combine.”
    Last edited by Nick; -04-04-2009 at 08:14 PM. Reason: NO LINKS!

smitheRAM is offline Registered User

If Raji was there in the 2nd round I would take him. In fact if he was available in the late 1st I would try and trade up for him. He is the best DT in the draft. And one of our biggest needs.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Can we put a moratorium on NFL Draft Bible? I don't want to see anything from that website on ClanRam. They aren't reliable and they are about as accurate as Mike Florio. Heck, even Florio put a disclaimer on the thread from NFL Draft Bible and if Pro Football Talk puts a disclaimer on it then the "Bible" has to be a very unreliable source.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast