AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

DT: Need...? No. BPA...? Maybe.

Clifton Ryan
    Darrel Scott
    Fred Robbins
    Adam Carriker

Is that a great DT rotation? Perhaps not. But it is not a bad DT rotation. Robbins is an established run stopper. Ryan is an underrated plugger. Scott showed some potential as a rookie. Carriker is a wild card.

I'd say that there is enough talent there to conclude that DT is not a Round 1 (or even Round 2) priority in the draft.

So does that mean that the Rams will take Sam Bradford?

Not so fast.

There is no question that the Rams are considering Bradford, but the decision has not been made yet. The Rams may still conclude that Ndamukong Suh or Gerald McCoy is the best player available.

So how would that work if they took one of the two Blue Chip DTs?

You'd likely see Ryan and Suh/McCoy starting, Robbins the designated short yardage player, and Scott platooning in to give the starters a break. Carriker would have to either rise in the lineup, move to DE, or move on.

But if the Rams ultimately go with Bradford, I think the Rams could go through the entire draft witout taking a DT.

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: DT: Need...? No. BPA...? Maybe.

any chance Adam Carriker is getting move back to End, especially if Little is gone.

3STL9 is offline Registered User

Yeah the more and more I look at it...I really do not think we are gonna draft Suh or McCoy

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

if they dont take Suh or McCoy then i dont see the type of DT they could use in the rest of the draft...that being the type who could get into the backfield on a regular basis and blow things up!
    at this point id only say take Suh or McCoy with the long term future in mind if they think either of those prospects are the kind that just aren`t gonna be there in say the next 1-5 years...
    Suh is considered by a large number of people to be the best DT prospect in many years (tho the same was said about Dorsey)..but who knows what is coming in the future?
    when William Perry came into the league he broke the mold for the things DT`s were capable of but it wasnt long before there were plenty of DT prospects with better skill-sets coming along. (for the record i dont think the refridgerator was good enough to start for the mid 80`s Bears compared to who else they had there back then).

as team needs currently sit, with only next season in mind, i think DT is quite lowdown the list of priorites now compared to QB,WR,DB...also theres LB,DE,TE which are also positions where theres quite good value at outside the first that i would rate higher priorities than DT at this current time.

all that said i still want us to draft Suh..
    especially if we stay first overall...Bradford is a risk..that i would find easier to take if we had another 2nd round pick to go with him.

i have faith in Spags & Billy D tho.. theyve both been in the NFL for the same number of years ive been a Rams fan (27 years each), only theyve worked closely with personell on a daily basis where as ive just watched the product on the field during gametime.
    they know tons more than me or i bet with all due respect anyone else on here..even those of us that are former NFL or NCAA players.
    so whatever our brain trust decide these days,now that i know our brain trust has brains..i will support.
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -03-09-2010 at 05:05 PM.

TakeSuh is offline Registered User

YouTube - Ndamukong Suh
    take suh, just take him.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Ive been saying this all along

We have depth at DT. add Gibson to that list and we have 5 players with valuable starting experience

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Guys, this is NOT a dependable DT rotation, and when you add in Adam's health issues and Robbins age you basically have 2nd tear/role players here when you could draft a stallworth who will dominate like Warren Sapp for 10 years, demanding double teams and freeing up your DE's to wreak havoc on the opposing QB; then we make moves next year to draft Locker...actually even w/ Suh we'll be 5-11 at best so we may not even need to make moves.

TheRammer Guest

I think come draft day we should draft Suh/McCoy and trade off one of our current DT's come draft time for a 2nd-5th round pick or possibly some players like the Weatherspoon deal...

TheRammer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Guys, this is NOT a dependable DT rotation, and when you add in Adam's health issues and Robbins age you basically have 2nd tear/role players here when you could draft a stallworth who will dominate like Warren Sapp for 10 years, demanding double teams and freeing up your DE's to wreak havoc on the opposing QB; then we make moves next year to draft Locker...actually even w/ Suh we'll be 5-11 at best so we may not even need to make moves.
    Amen to this, been thinking this the whole time Draft Suh... Make moves next year for Locker...or a good quality QB that comes up in FA because the pool will be big. Altho I think maybe you don't give who we have at DT as much credit possibly but still think that would be a great idea

BigGameTH is offline Registered User

We allowed 2200 rushing yards and 24 rushing TDs this year. That's tied for the most rushing TD allowed with the Raiders. We got 25 sacks, which is the 3rd worst in sacks. We need help up front on defense. Yes, DT is a need.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameTH View Post
    We allowed 2200 rushing yards and 24 rushing TDs this year. That's tied for the most rushing TD allowed with the Raiders. We got 25 sacks, which is the 3rd worst in sacks. We need help up front on defense. Yes, DT is a need.

I agree 100%. I understand we have Fred Robbins, but that would be a nasty line rotation.

Adam Carriker, Chris Long, Ndamukong Suh, Cliff Ryan, Fred Robbins.

Thats NASTY!

ludairv is offline Registered User

man stats are misleading at face value....lol im pretty sure our defense was on the field like 3/4 of every games .,,,maybe except the lions game....lol our offense flat out blows....3 and outs... our defense was definitely outperforming our offense...but crap man cant expect them to stop everythings when the offense stinks...lol this aint madden where they have 99 stamina...lmao... we need to fill holes on offense....

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Ive been saying DE is a bigger need than DT before the Robbins signing. Especially now that Hall and Little our number 1 and 3 pass rushers are exploring other options. Leaving us with 3 LEs in Ah You coming of injury, Long quickly emerging, and Adeyanju who plays the run well and at times flashes the rush. I am way more comfortable with the DTs we have signed than the DEs we have signed. I still think either Hall or Little will be resigned, but we need a young pure pass rusher more than anything on defense IMO.