Thread: DT Trades...

chiguy is offline Registered User

DT Trades...

So we've seen a number of high profile defensive tackles get traded so far this offseason -- Jenkins, Rogers, and Robertson. All of them were not cheap, but none of them came with an overly huge cost either. Given how weak the Rams have been at DT for the past few years (with marked improvement LAST year giving us hope), it is kind of interesting that the Rams weren't involved in any of these discussions.

The question I have is this...what does it mean about our draft pick? There are two ways to go here. First, it could demonstrate that the Rams are very happy with their personnel on the interior line. If that is the case, then our pick will be either Jake Long, Chris Long, or Vernon Gholston. Second, it could mean that the Rams are set on choosing a DT, meaning our pick will likely be Ellis or Dorsey.

I'm not sure which I think, but its fun to think about.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: DT Trades...

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    So we've seen a number of high profile defensive tackles get traded so far this offseason -- Jenkins, Rogers, and Robertson. All of them were not cheap, but none of them came with an overly huge cost either. Given how weak the Rams have been at DT for the past few years (with marked improvement LAST year giving us hope), it is kind of interesting that the Rams weren't involved in any of these discussions.

The question I have is this...what does it mean about our draft pick? There are two ways to go here. First, it could demonstrate that the Rams are very happy with their personnel on the interior line. If that is the case, then our pick will be either Jake Long, Chris Long, or Vernon Gholston. Second, it could mean that the Rams are set on choosing a DT, meaning our pick will likely be Ellis or Dorsey.

I'm not sure which I think, but its fun to think about.
    The DT trades in full:

Cleveland trade their THIRD ROUNDER and CB LEIGH BODDEN for Lions DT SHAUN ROGERS

Cleveland trade their SECOND ROUNDER for Green Bay DT COREY WILLIAMS

Buffalo trade their THIRD ROUNDER and FIFTH ROUNDER for Jaguars DT Marcus Stroud

New York Jets trade their THIRD ROUNDER and FIFTH ROUNDER for Panthers DT KRIS JENKINS

Cincinnatti trade their FOURTH ROUNDER and FIFTH ROUNDER for Jets DT DEWAYNE WASHINGTON

i would have liked either Williams or Stroud, and seeing the cost of the two i think Stroud would have been better, but its still a lot to give up. Although the Browns are now stacked at DT with Rogers and Williams coming to them, but they traded away two high draft picks and a starting corner for them

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Issue is that Stroud is injury prone, and that third rounder could easily be used on a younger, faster, healthier replacement, or in our case, one of our first two picks on a defensive end, which is more of a need, who fits all those categories too.

Washington would have been an interesting pickup because of the really low cost, but unless we knew we were getting a 3rd for Curtis, I wouldn't trade any of our picks above the 5th round, as there'll still be a good player early in the 4th.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Ah, but...

Shaun Rogers has played inconsistently
    Marcus Stroud is guaranteed to miss 4 games next year due to failed drug test
    Kris Jenkins has had ongoing questions about his weight, work ethic, and past injuries; he also signed a new contract with a lot of guarantees.

The fact that we haven't gone out of our way to make a trade for a player that another team is publicly admitting they want to move for one reason or another doesn't necessarily mean we're "very happy" but maybe just that we're not desperate.

i think the only one the Rams would have seriously gone after is Corey Williams, but the second round pick is too high to give up and the contract he would have demanded would have been huge

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I think our DT's are going to be good. Yes, we can sign a back up just incase. But as of now, I'm quite happy with our DT situation.

I'm worried about DE. We have a slow Little and no one on the other side. I think our pick will be Chris Long or Vernon Gholston for sure.

shower beers is offline Registered User

A bit off topic, but is Cleveland even drafting this year?

No first round pick because of Quinn,

No second round pick because of Williams,

No third round pick because of Rogers.

Crazy, man. Just crazy.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

you build through the draft not FA. We built a young solid DT core through the draft. Browns got 2 guys through FA who they don't even know how they will play in their 3-4 since they have played in the 4-3 there whole careers. Rodgers was a very risky pick Williams was a great pick up IMO, but how will he play in the 3-4. If this was last year I would have been very angry that we didn't pull the trigger of one of these guys. By the way the Dwayne Robertson deal got called off

Im glad we didnt make the trade for Jekins during the last draft. Its been reported that he weighed about 390lbs at the end of last season

chiguy is offline Registered User

My point wasn't that we should make one of those trades, but that it probably says something about who we're going to choose in the draft. Anyone want to speculate on that?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    A bit off topic, but is Cleveland even drafting this year?

No first round pick because of Quinn,

No second round pick because of Williams,

No third round pick because of Rogers.

Crazy, man. Just crazy.
    Cleveland is trying to win, and win now. Williams and Rogers are better players than they would get from the draft at that point. The issue I see is their secondary, as they already traded one of their starters. However, if they start there in round 4 and have a backup ready to start, they could make some noise in the postseason as they almost got there last year. They won't be the surprise factor, but they also won't have to play New England again. I think that they think that they have 2 years with Anderson to win a Super Bowl, at which point they then hope to trade him to a QB needy team for a number of draft picks and use those to rebuild for Brady Quinn.