Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Dual questions for nick

First do you think that assuming Setterstrom continues the way he played today and Terrell gets healthy that we could drop the need of an G in the draft? With the possible starting line up looking at: Pace/Setterstrom and or Terrell/Icognito/Timmerman/Barron. Or do you think that we should keep a G high on our board.

And my second question. Coming out of the draft who do you see that is someone like a Vince Wilfork/Jamal Williams type NT on the board? The type that forces teams to double team him just because of his size. Is someone like that type of player suited to playing on this team or are we looking for something else in a NT

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Re: Dual questions for nick

We still need a guard probably in the later rounds if these guys keep it up, but our line has been shifting due to injuries and poor play. Alan Branch is a monster and a space-eater. Frank Okam is up there too but they don't play into the scheme of Hasletts defense. We passed up on Ngata last year and he was the same type of tackle. Someone with the similar body type to Glover. Those space-eaters are best fit for a 3-4 defense. Yea, I know I'm not Nick.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

First do you think that assuming Setterstrom continues the way he played today and Terrell gets healthy that we could drop the need of an G in the draft? With the possible starting line up looking at: Pace/Setterstrom and or Terrell/Icognito/Timmerman/Barron. Or do you think that we should keep a G high on our board.
    Drop it completely? No. I'm not confident in Terrell as a full time starter. He has yet to show me he's locked that job down when healthy. He wasn't exceptionally impressive IMO in 2005, and showed up out of shape this offseason. Not someone I want to put my trust in. If Setterstrom finishes the season as he played today, I'd feel better about one of those spots. But I still think you need at least one more top guard and maybe another prospect for depth.

And my second question. Coming out of the draft who do you see that is someone like a Vince Wilfork/Jamal Williams type NT on the board? The type that forces teams to double team him just because of his size. Is someone like that type of player suited to playing on this team or are we looking for something else in a NT
    The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Branch, who is a junior. This really is a relatively weak DT class, especially if underclassmen don't declare. Someone like Okoye out of Louisville is intriguing, IMO. Very young but plays well and is a disruptive force.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Remember also Any McCullum is out starting center. We get another guard back if/when he should come back.

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7 View Post
    Remember also Any McCullum is out starting center. We get another guard back if/when he should come back.
    I think Incognito is our future at center, and don't anticipate him moving back to guard for the long-term.

I'm just saying for next year we should have Any as our center, and Incognito as a guard. We should still draft another guard on the second day.

I'm just saying for next year we should have Any as our center, and Incognito as a guard. We should still draft another guard on the second day.
    Well, for one, that's not a certainty at all. Who knows what happens to McCollum? Maybe Linehan decides to start Richie over Andy. Maybe Andy's injury forces him out of the line-up.

You can't assume McCollum makes it back in the starting line-up just like you can't count on Terrell, albeit for different reasons. A serious injury at age 36 is no easy thing to come back from.

But again, even if Andy comes back and Richie shifts to guard, we still have a future interior line hole to fill when McCollum retires. I just don't agree that the potential return of McCollum is enough to push back addressing the line.

If you'll look at my post I still said we need to draft a guard. I also said if or when Any comes back because you're right a season ending injury at his age is a tough thing to bounce back from. If he does come back, our two other guards Terrel and Setterstorm aren't playing good enough to keep Andy on the bench and play Richie at center. Round 5 for a guard, maybe even a guard/tackle because Todd is just as old as the McCollum and Timmerman. But you can't place guard above anything on defense.

If you'll look at my post I still said we need to draft a guard.
    I did look at your post. You said we should draft a guard on the second day, and I disagree with pushing it back that far.

Both McCollum and Timmerman, optimistically, have one season left in my opinion. We need to plan to the future at that position because the future is not far off at all, and you don't do that by pushing those kinds of needs to mid-second day. Tentatively, I think a guard in rounds two or three is optimal with the other two first day picks being used on defense.

But you can't place guard above anything on defense.
    You certainly can place it above something on defense. You can't place it above everything, but I would take a guard over weak side linebackers and corners.

If a guard is the best value on the board when we draft, there's no reason to pass on him because he isn't a defensive player.

MikeB1603 is offline Registered User

The way I see it is last year we spent two late round picks on guards, the plan was to hope one of these guys worked out and developed right to be a starting prospect for us. If by the end of the year there is a chance that one pans out to be successful then there is no reason for us to spend a mid-late round on another guard, if we get one it would be early in the draft as a development right with Setterstorm or Palmer or Terrell (whichever proves at the end of the year to be most ready, if any at all do). If we don't go with a guard early then it is likely that we would add a proven player through free agency, even if it costs big bucks.

Rambos is offline Registered User

September 2 Released Tony Palmer.... he was let go and did not make it through waivers.