ramhard is offline Registered User

Dumb Draft Analysis from NFLBlitz

Below is why draft analysis is so stupid sometimes. I agree with the boom or bust nature of the Rams draft (this is the Rams pattern). But some of the analysis is flawed. For example, they say Bartell is a pick and that the Rams could have added an outside LB, a safety, or a DE. Well if you look at the draft the next two safeties drafted are Collins from Bethune-Cookman and Atogwe by the Rams! So tell me what safety did they miss out, actually seems like they read the board correctly. OLB we have a ton of so, and no one that is drafted is going to start ahead of Coakley or Pisa. The only real argument is Dan Cody at DE, and he is a boom or bust type with lots of issues. I'll take their word or Terrell, and the comment on TE was silly - RW is a year to year pickup and Manu is not a lock for the future. Also, the starter criteria is flawed. Good teams have fewer 'holes' to fill. The Rams had 3 potential holes - both safeties and OT, it would be hard for ANY rookie to win a starting position at any other position outside of maybe DE (over Hargrove).
    The Rams drafted 3 rookies that can all play safety.. I would give the Rams draft a B-/C+ but lots of potential to be a stellar A if Incognito or Bartell come through. The one reach I might agree with is Incognito and that is only because of his injury. I doubt anyone would have taken him before the next round knowing that plus his off-field stuff. But I'm of the logic that you take a player where you have him valued, don't start guessing what other teams will do. Here's their 'ahem' analysis.

=====================================================

St. Louis Rams

St. Louis really had an odd draft. They did not read the board well and made a few reaches, even ignoring some needs. Yes, Alex Barron was a good pick in the first round. We will say nothing bad about Barron because I really think he’s a good player to take over at a huge need, right tackle. Ronald Bartell was a reach with the 50th pick and the Rams could have added an outside linebacker, defensive end or safety here. Free safety OJ Atogwe is a good player, but he’s not the playmaker they needed in the secondary and the Rams added two free agents here. Offensive lineman Richie Incognito is more trouble than he is worth at times and will remind coach Mike Martz of his “friend” Kyle Turley. This pick strikes me as odd with the amount of trouble they have had with a similar character. Jerome Carter will never see the field behind Adam Archuleta and is going to play special teams his entire stay in St. Louis. Claude Terrell was here for a reason guys, he’s been overweight his entire career and is no where near a fourth round talent. Jerome Collins gives them another tight end, but did they need one with Roland Williams coming to town? Dante Ridgeway is a steal in the 6th round and his hands will be welcome here. Punter Reggie Hodges will do well in the dome and anything that will help the defense is a good pick. QB Ryan Fitzpatrick will be given time to grow into a backup spot here. Fullback Madison Hedge*censored* won’t be used much in this spread offense, but he is a good pick if they plan on going to an I-back set.

Potential starters: One. Alex Barron is a shoe-in to start at right tackle. Outside of him, there are a lot of backups here.

Grade: C. I don’t feel like St. Louis did a very good job of reading the board and finding players of value at their picks. With 11 picks they could have added more than one starter. There are many players with boom or bust potential here, namely Incognito, Bartell and Terrell.
    Last edited by ramhard; -05-03-2005 at 12:16 AM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Dumb Draft Analysis from NFLBlitz

Ronald Bartell was a reach with the 50th pick and the Rams could have added an outside linebacker, defensive end or safety here.
    Okay, but then...

Free safety OJ Atogwe is a good player, but he’s not the playmaker they needed in the secondary and the Rams added two free agents here.
    Hmmm? If the Rams added two free agents, thus meaning they didn't have to draft a safety like Atogwe (my highest rated FS on the board at this point and at our second round pick), why did the analysis say a safety should have been taken earlier in the second round instead of Bartell? They're really contradicting themselves.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Dumb Draft Analysis from NFLBlitz

They did not read the board well and made a few reaches, even ignoring some needs.
    In my mind, this sentence removes all credibility from NFLBlitz. To make this bold a statement on something as speculative as the draft is just silly. It's like scolding a dog for scratching behind his ear when there's "obviously" more fleas on his butt....these guys are guessing at best.
    Offensive lineman Richie Incognito is more trouble than he is worth at times and will remind coach Mike Martz of his “friend” Kyle Turley
    I just knew this comparison would rear its ugly head. IMHO, there is no comparison. Turley is/was a cancer in the lockeroom. The Saints knew it and tossed him to us for a 2nd rounder (and laughed all the way to the draft). On Turley's behalf, he did manage to keep everything under wraps for a year, but then training camp 2004...and the wheels came off the Turley wagon. He turned against the administration and most notably Martz. He had no on-field presence, hopefully strictly due to injury but the jury is still out. That is in no way similar to Incognito. RI can't/won't control his temper. He was aggressive on the field & off the field, and maybe a little too much so. Other players at Nebraska said he would never have been kicked off under other administrations, but the new coaches wanted to make a statement in their first year, so RI was let go. But he didn't turn against his team, and he didn't cause dissention. He just didn't have the maturity to bottle his aggression. Hopefully, a couple of years of age and a professional environment will help with that. But either way, a comparison to Turley is unjustified at best.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod