39thebeast is offline Registered User

Dynamic DT duo's

The Rams biggest weakness has been stopping the run for what seems like ages. It looks like we have quelled the problem with the addition of 2 rookies Ryan and Carriker, but can we do better. We have seen the impact of 2 dynamic DT's in Pat and Kevin Williams and Marcus Stroud and John Henderson. These teams have consistently been top 5 against the run when their DT's when were healthy. These DT's are the souls of great defense and improve there somewhat mediocre teammates in the front 7, but they still finish high in defensive rankings. Both teams are extremely deep in their tackle rotation with players like Grady Jackson, Rob Meier, Derrek Landri, and Spencer Johnson.

So this posses an interesting conundrum should the Rams avoid Dorsey and get a DE the main position these dual DT teams are craving and longing for.

or

Should the Rams go DT back first rounds like the jags and take Dorsey since Devaney has said Carriker played great at NT. Then form a dynamic duo and hope Dorsey makes a Warren Sapp or Tommy Harris impact by getting allot of sacks and drawing allot of attention allowing the DEs to be more effective

The Bills have already done it and hopes the additions of Spencer Johnson and Marcus Stroud to Jon Macargo will improve their bad run D. They should be in good shape with a good pass rusher like Aaron Schobel. Should the Rams do the same and put faith in Little like the Bills did in Schobel

Wolf is offline Registered User

Re: Dynamic DT duo's

Yes. I think if we grab Dorsey...we establish ourselves as great interior line team. Like I said...I think if we get Dorsey, we stop the run and get a pash rush and if we get Long or Gholston...we get a pass rush. Either way...it helps us immensely.

shower beers is offline Registered User

It could be done. I don't know how effective it would be with little to no pass rush from the edges though.

I like the idea, personally.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

The Rams were run on last year. I recall late in games, teams moving us out of there and running the ball pretty damn well.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    The Rams were run on last year. I recall late in games, teams moving us out of there and running the ball pretty damn well.
    I think that was more a problem of getting tired. The Rams D was on the field so much because the offense couldnt keep the ball.

I did notice however that the run D has improved. It used to be that when a team was on 3rd and 1 against us, they could pretty much walk it for a first down. However in the few games i saw all the way through last year, 3rd and 1s against the Rams D led to stops behind the line.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Our run defense was better last year, but mainly because we weren't blowing tackles left and right. But I'm with Tony...I still wouldn't characterize it as "good."

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I think that was more a problem of getting tired. The Rams D was on the field so much because the offense couldnt keep the ball.

I did notice however that the run D has improved. It used to be that when a team was on 3rd and 1 against us, they could pretty much walk it for a first down. However in the few games i saw all the way through last year, 3rd and 1s against the Rams D led to stops behind the line.
    I agree the run D did improve and some of the failure could be contributed to fatigue.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I think our biggest weakness is pass rush. I think our run defense is much better. We get killed by not getting pressure, which makes the secondary that much more exposed.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

What's that word again?

Mo?
    Do?
    Fo?
    Quo?

NO!

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    What's that word again?

Mo?
    Do?
    Fo?
    Quo?

NO!
    Not to be rude but am I suppose to know what this means.

NO!

to who or what.

Or is it NO cause I said so! LOL

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Last year, our run defense improved by allowing 0.8 fewer yards per carry than in 2006. Additionally, the Rams decreased the opposition's rushing yards per game by slightly more that 30 yards than they did in 2006.

These put us in the middle of the pack in terms of rankings for run defense (19th for average ypc & 20th for average ypg), which is much better than the near dead last ranking we had the previous year. Are we at the point where we could be called "good?" Probably not, but we're definitely getting better and will likely continue to do so as our young DTs develop.

Meanwhile, in 2006, even with Little playing a full season and having a near career year, we still finished middle of the pack (19th) in sacks with 34. We dropped to 21st this year with 31 sacks. We don't have any young pass rushers to build on for the future, and we're not seeing improvement from '06 to '07. Obviously we had injuries at DE, but when healthy our two starters are still old and are short term answers at best.

It's interesting that Minnesota and Jacksonville are brought up, because both of those teams are primed to use first round picks on defensive ends because even with their strong interior tackles they haven't been able to develop that dominant outside pass rusher. The Vikings may even be poised to trade away their first round pick and a later pick for Jared Allen because they're so desperate for a pass rusher. Meanwhile you've got a team like the Giants beating the undefeated Patriots in the Super Bowl by using a defensive tackle rotation of Fred Robbins (free agent), Barry Cofield (fourth round pick), and DE/DT hybrid Justin Tuck (third round pick).
    Last edited by Nick; -04-21-2008 at 04:37 PM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I still think that we could use a better pass rush. If we stop their run, they could still throw on us well. Our DT's were young and improving, I think we can give them more time to work. They're still young, its worth it.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Last year, our run defense improved by allowing 0.8 fewer yards per carry than in 2006. Additionally, the Rams decreased the opposition's rushing yards per game by slightly more that 30 yards than they did in 2006.

These put us in the middle of the pack in terms of rankings for run defense (19th for average ypc & 20th for average ypg), which is much better than the near dead last ranking we had the previous year. Are we at the point where we could be called "good?" Probably not, but we're definitely getting better and will likely continue to do so as our young DTs develop.

Meanwhile, in 2006, even with Little playing a full season and having a near career year, we still finished middle of the pack (19th) in sacks with 34. We dropped to 21st this year with 31 sacks. We don't have any young pass rushers to build on for the future, and we're not seeing improvement from '06 to '07. Obviously we had injuries at DE, but when healthy our two starters are still old and are short term answers at best.

It's interesting that Minnesota and Jacksonville are brought up, because both of those teams are primed to use first round picks on defensive ends because even with their strong interior tackles they haven't been able to develop that dominant outside pass rusher. The Vikings may even be poised to trade away their first round pick and a later pick for Jared Allen because they're so desperate for a pass rusher. Meanwhile you've got a team like the Giants beating the undefeated Patriots in the Super Bowl by using a defensive tackle rotation of Fred Robbins (free agent), Barry Cofield (fourth round pick), and DE/DT hybrid Justin Tuck (third round pick).
    good points Nick, but I think we are better off in the DE situation than the Vikes and Chiefs. Thats why I think the Bills might be successful with a healthy Stroud and on point Schobel. Little is a very good pass rusher and if Dorsey gets it done we can have a verry good D-line. I'm not saying we should do it, but I will say we are better of at DE than others who have attempted this have previously been plus could be a bigger impact type of guy and more upside as a pass rusher than Stroud and Williams (even though he has been a great pass rusher when healthy)

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It's also worth noting that improvement was with rookie defensive tackles, who typically take a few years to develop. Carriker and Ryan will more than likely play better in their second year than their first (provided Carriker makes a full recovery from off-season surgery).