Sauceman is offline Registered User

Early reports on Rams interest with Alterraun Verner

Jim Thomas - No surprise, but Rams have inquired about Tennessee free agent corner Alterraun Verner.
    https://twitter.com/jthom1/status/442428140183240704

Jim Wyatt - Among teams already in the mix for #Titans CB Alterraun Verner: Rams, Vikings and Jets
    https://twitter.com/jwyattsports/status/442426896593477632

Nick Wagoner - Rams expressing interest in Verner expected. Still have to wonder what his final price tag will be. Minnesota, for one, flush with cap space
    https://twitter.com/nwagoner/status/442429047750922240
    Nothing new. I think everyone expected the Rams to make a play for Verner. I'm hoping if we get him, he works out. I'd rather take a young corner and a top FS, but I trust Fishnead!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Early reports on Rams interest with Alterraun Verner

You have to imagine he's going to want the Rams to give him the kind of deal they gave Finnegan when he signed here, right? Thank goodness the cap news this offseason has been good. If the Rams could get him and Malcolm Jenkins, then I think that'd be a nice boost to the secondary from free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    You have to imagine he's going to want the Rams to give him the kind of deal they gave Finnegan when he signed here, right? Thank goodness the cap news this offseason has been good. If the Rams could get him and Malcolm Jenkins, then I think that'd be a nice boost to the secondary from free agency.
    That can definitely go a long way for us, and would really open up the draft for us. I'd say Verner is a top tier CB prospect with Jenkins being a second tier FS.

Assuming the Rams don't have the cap to grab a top tier CB (Verner, DRC, Talib) AND a top S (Byrd and Ward); do you prefer a top S and a second tier CB or a top CB and second tier S (as you have above).

Edit: I think I would like Byrd + Shields (CB)

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Sauceman View Post
    That can definitely go a long way for us, and would really open up the draft for us. I'd say Verner is a top tier CB prospect with Jenkins being a second tier FS.

Assuming the Rams don't have the cap to grab a top tier CB (Verner, DRC, Talib) AND a top S (Byrd and Ward); do you prefer a top S and a second tier CB or a top CB and second tier S (as you have above).

I'd prefer a top tier Safety like Byrd and then draft a CB. Shields would be a great pick up also.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Sauceman View Post

Shields just resigned with the Packers, it seems. I don't really have a preference one way or another, but I do think a second tier FS provides a bigger upgrade to that position and the secondary overall than a second tier CB does over the Rams' current personnel. I say that only because I think the current personnel at corner is better than FS, so a second tier CB might not represent a significant upgrade. But the addition of any top tier player in the secondary would be welcomed by me, as I think that's the biggest weakness on this defense.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Sam Shields just signed a 4 year 39.5 million with a 12.5 million signing bonus. Verner is not likely to come cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Sam Shields just signed a 4 year 39.5 million with a 12.5 million signing bonus. Verner is not likely to come cheap.
    I'd be okay breaking the bank for Byrd. I think, after Finnegan, I'm super hesitant to invest more money at the CB spot, especially considering our current CB's are serviceable, where our FS really isn't.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I like our starting corners and would like to see them develope with a top tier FS behind them. So if we can only sign one free agent for the secondary, I'd prefer it be Byrd or Ward.