Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Eddie Lacy Pro Day

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Eddie Lacy Pro Day

Reports are coming in (ignore the initial Tweets of a time in the 4.4s) that he ran 4.57 and 4.6 in the 40 yard dash.

Pretty much what I expected.

There are also reports of him appearing to be a bit out of shape. That's disappointing, but I wouldn't regard it as a deal breaker.

He's my top RB on my draft board right now, in part due to the fact that the Rams have not demonstrated much interest in my previous top pick, Le'Veon Bell. The question will ultimately be whether he's separated himself from players like Jonathan Franklin and Mike Gillislee, who the Rams have also shown interest in.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -04-11-2013 at 11:45 AM.

Re: Eddie Lacy Pro Day

Bucky Brooks is being particularly critical of Lacy's performance:

Bucky Brooks‏@BuckyBrooks
    The lack of conditioning exhibited today will lead some coaches and scouts to question his work ethic. Concerns must be addressed in Mtgs

He posted a 32.5 vertical and 9-7 broad jump & clocked a 4.44 short shuttle. Disappointing positional workout. Out of shape.Unable to finish

Here's a Tweet from an Alabama guy defending Lacy:

Ian Oliver‏@IanOliver833mEddie Lacy will do just fine in the NFL, still Round 1. Hamstring injury may have affected his conditioning, but 4.5 or even 4.6 and 230lbs!

Here's a summary:

Alabama's Eddie Lacy has mixed results at workout

By Kareem Copeland

Former Alabama running back Eddie Lacy didn't run at the NFL Scouting Combine or the Crimson Tide pro day due to hamstring issues. He worked out for scouts in Tuscaloosa, Ala. on Thursday with mixed results.
    NFL.com's Bucky Brooks reported Lacy ran the 40-yard dash in 4.57 seconds and 4.60 seconds. The Anniston Star's Mark Edwards reported two unofficial times of 4.4 seconds. Lacy reportedly posted times of 4.58 and 4.62 at the Senior Bowl.

"Lacy flashed outstanding talent as a runner and receiver, but lack of stamina is definitely a concern," Bucky tweeted. "Struggled the entire workout w/wind.

"The lack of conditioning exhibited today will lead some coaches and scouts to question his work ethic. Concerns must be addressed in Mtgs."

The 40-time was expected, but there may be some concerns with him being out of shape. You'd think he's been working towards this moment, but his conditioning could have taken a hit from not being able to run with the hamstring.

When it comes to Lacy, his tape will matter more than Thursday's workout. He was the best back in the country and ran for 1,322 yards and 17 touchdowns. He's the most complete, NFL-ready back in the draft. Lacy is still likely to go late in the first round to a team with running back needs like the Steelers, Rams, Packers or Broncos.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Unable to finish ... that's not good.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Hard to know what to make of it, it might drop him in the draft, I'd definitely take him 3rd round if he dropped there. Not that he would, but I can dream, right?

kman is offline Registered User

I sooo hope we dont draft this guy...he is a product of one of the most dominant offensive lines in college footbal..he is much more like Ingram(mediocre pro at best) then Richardson, no doubt..plus, drafting him will almost say drafting pead last year was a mistake..lets see what richardson and pead can do, before we spend a high draftpick on a RB..we have too many other needs first..not to mention Ganaway if people want a big, power guy so bad..
    Ramhearder likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I think the Rams will be taking a long hard look at Lacy. His performance today was not awe inspiring, but I really think Jeff would like to have him in the backfield with Pead and have DRich as the change-of-pace back he's intended to be. Whether Lacy benefited from running behind Alabama's O-Line or not he has shown an ability to get into the end zone and that is something we sorely lacked last season. Don't overlook the fact that we are in the process of making our O-Line much better, so he can run behind some good linemen here as well. I'm slowly getting convinced the Rams will take Tavon Austin at #16 if he's there. At the end of the day it's all about putting buts in seats and people will show-up for an exciting offense with T. Austin & E. Lacy more so than a outstanding guard like Warmack.

I know some of you will call me nuts, but if the Rams find Lacy to be the type of back who will thrive here, then I wouldn't be surprised to see him as our #22 pick. Couple that with Austin potentially at #16 and suddenly we've got some offensive weapons that other teams will have to be worried about. I don't see him making it past Green Bay in round 1. 2 weeks and counting, very exciting!

Go Rams!

I think it is definitely possible that the Rams could take Lacy at #22. My hope, though, is that before they would pull the trigger, they'd be on the phone trying to move down a few spots to pick up another pick.
    MauiRam and THOLTFAN81 like this.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    I think the Rams will be taking a long hard look at Lacy. His performance today was not awe inspiring, but I really think Jeff would like to have him in the backfield with Pead and have DRich as the change-of-pace back he's intended to be. Whether Lacy benefited from running behind Alabama's O-Line or not he has shown an ability to get into the end zone and that is something we sorely lacked last season. Don't overlook the fact that we are in the process of making our O-Line much better, so he can run behind some good linemen here as well. I'm slowly getting convinced the Rams will take Tavon Austin at #16 if he's there. At the end of the day it's all about putting buts in seats and people will show-up for an exciting offense with T. Austin & E. Lacy more so than a outstanding guard like Warmack.

I know some of you will call me nuts, but if the Rams find Lacy to be the type of back who will thrive here, then I wouldn't be surprised to see him as our #22 pick. Couple that with Austin potentially at #16 and suddenly we've got some offensive weapons that other teams will have to be worried about. I don't see him making it past Green Bay in round 1. 2 weeks and counting, very exciting!

Go Rams!
    What we don't know are the circumstances surrounding his appearing "out of shape," and Bucky's remark "unable to finish." If there is any truth at all to Eddie's lacking a solid work ethic, then it is a stretch to see him thriving under Fish and Snead. That said, there are other issues that may have contributed to his poor showing. Injuries/illness may have limited his workout regimen - we simply don't have enough reliable info at this juncture.

It will be interesting to see where Lacy is selected, but I would be extremely surprised if the Rams spend a first rounder on him. We have more pressing needs at other positions.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think it is definitely possible that the Rams could take Lacy at #22. My hope, though, is that before they would pull the trigger, they'd be on the phone trying to move down a few spots to pick up another pick.
    I wouldn't disagree with you at all. While it's not relevant to this thread, but I wouldn't discard the Rams trading their #16 pick if they don't see what they like there either. As much as I would love to have a guard like Warmack or Cooper, I'm thinking Jeff and Les feel they can address the O-Line later. I also don't think they want an an inexperienced & undisciplined route runner like Patterson despite his upside potential. Been there and done that this year with Brian Quick. So it's likely to be Austin or maybe Vacarro. Incidentally, has Vacarro been in for a visit? But who knows, not me I'm just speculating like all of us here.

Go Rams!
    MoStateRam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    What we don't know are the circumstances surrounding his appearing "out of shape," and Bucky's remark "unable to finish." If there is any truth at all to Eddie's lacking a solid work ethic, then it is a stretch to see him thriving under Fish and Snead. That said, there are other issues that may have contributed to his poor showing. Injuries/illness may have limited his workout regimen - we simply don't have enough reliable info at this juncture.

It will be interesting to see where Lacy is selected, but I would be extremely surprised if the Rams spend a first rounder on him. We have more pressing needs at other positions.
    Maui, you are right about having needs elsewhere, but I'm sensing Jeff and Les want to really juice the offense to compete with SF and Seattle. Look at what they have as RB's Gore and Lynch, Jeff likes to go to war with a solid RB and after Lacy this draft doesn't offer too much. Plus, this work ethic stuff doesn't square with me. He played for Nick Saban and was coached accordingly. I could be wrong, but don't discount the option. As Av says, maybe we can trade back a few spots and get extra picks, sounds good to me.

Go Rams!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think it's definitely possible as well, which makes me a bit nervous.

One, I don't think he's great value there. I probably wouldn't take him in the first round at all, and would prefer to consider him when the Rams' second round pick rolls around.

But two, I don't think a team planning on using a committee approach at running back needs to be spending first round picks at the position. If I'm spending a first round pick on a running back, I'm looking for a guy who is going to get 250+ carries a year, not be one part of a multi-headed attack.
    Rambos, kman, THOLTFAN81 and 3 others like this.

McRam is offline Registered User

Agree with this. And I'd append that I'd like to see us take a chance on Lattimore.
    kman and THOLTFAN81 like this.

kman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by McRam View Post
    Agree with this. And I'd append that I'd like to see us take a chance on Lattimore.
    agreed lattimore would be nice in the 3rd, preferably 4th..that way we can see what richadson and pead got this year, and slowly work lattimore in..no way lacy in the 1st..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast