Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chiguy

Thread: Enough, O-line talk

TylerBishop is offline Registered User

Enough, O-line talk

Man, I can't believe how many people I've spoke that don't seem to realize how ridiculous moving players around to positions they've never played before is.

I keep hearing, move Saffold to RT, move Smith to LG, etc.

Jim Hannifen's expert opinion is Saffold can be a great starting LT that's good enough to me. If you think he can't do that then you need to consider him at LG, you can't put him on the right-side after two years on the struggling on the left, or he will struggle again. He also doesn't have that nasty power to play RT.

As for smith you can't swith positions and sides with a guy who hasn't been able to get the hang of things the way he has. For me he can play RT, he has the ability, just not the technique. You may be able to fix him, or he may be Alex Barron, either way he can play RT or probably wash out. You gotta let him try, and find some dpeth behind him.

End mini-rant.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Enough, O-line talk

I'm assuming that your title really does not mean you don't want to talk about the O line since you posted this.

realize how ridiculous moving players around to positions they've never played before is.
    Not sure where you are getting your information about moving players on the offensive line is, but it's pretty common that players shuffle positions. That being said Saffold played LT in college. Asking a player to go inside and play is normal. If a player has the talent to play tackle he should have no problem moving inside and having success.

If you think he can't do that then you need to consider him at LG, you can't put him on the right-side after two years on the struggling on the left
    Saffold may have the talent to be a great LT... I would not be shocked if he came back next year and played well at LT... One of the problems we have is that we don't a the answer at RT. Partially due to Smith play and health concerns.

Rams placed RT Jason Smith (concussions) on injured reserve, ending his season.
    We're losing hope fast for the No. 2 overall pick in the 2009 draft. Beaten like a drum when healthy and usually not the latter, Smith has suffered two serious, multi-game concussions in his first three seasons. The Rams need to enter the 2012 offseason operating as if they have a hole at right tackle and considering anything Smith provides going forward only a bonus.
    It's possible that the Rams draft a RT or pick one up in FA and leave Saffold at LT. I think Smith days are numbered personally he cost ton and has played poor when he has played.
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-04-2012 at 11:49 AM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I believe the same things as you. Plus I have A LOT more optimism now that Steve Loney is gone.

chiguy is offline Registered User

I really hope they try Smith at guard before cutting him loose. He seems solid in the run game and wouldn't be alone in the passing game.

More generally, I'm a little puzzled about the offensive line. Two seasons ago they were solid, if not spectacular. They added a high quality player in Dahl this year...and got worse. It makes me wonder how much of this was the scheme and whether these guys just don't fit McD's offense. That also makes wonder why we didn't adjust more (and sooner).
    ManofGod likes this.

I am likely to lean towards Smith being gone as well. As horrible as it sounds his injury may force him into retirement which would actually be the best case scenario for the Rams, from merely a salary cap situation. My apologizes to Smith if that is the case, certainly you never want to see a guy go out that way.

Either way, Smith is not the #2 overall we expected and I think his best fit is at RT, switching sides and having him play the opposite side on the inside may be too much to a guy who has struggled anyway. It is worth a try, but I have a feeling that a good coach could watch him on film and tell you whether or not that would work anyway ( I cannot say).

Saffold is built to play LT he is not the fiery run blocker you need on the right. He could possible play LG, but I don't know that you can draft an upgrade at LT besides Kalil. In FA an upgrade at LT is expensive. I think Saffold can do it.

Big thing about shuffling is this... No doubt it can be done, but players are not just interchangeable on the line. Folks that have never played football don't realize how difficult it can be. Imagine if you had to start writing left-handed for work, or using a left handed mouse all of a sudden, it would be tough. You wold eventually get the hang of it, but you may be better suited for one or the other. It may be bets to let guys develop in the spot you believe they have best natural talent rather than bumping them around which may lead to greater struggles.

To sum up the convo.... here is what I would do with the line next year

LT: Saffold
    LG: FA
    C: Wragge
    RG: Dahl
    RT: Smith battles a 1, 2, or 3rd round pick for a job

richtree is offline Registered User

Wragge versatility is great as the 6th man for next year's offensive line. I am not sure he can start the whole season, and we need some youth that will stick around for a few years.

Saffold can play but had a set back last year, and Smith is border line being cut. TylerBishop dont' you want to change something that is broken. The offensive line was broken. We need a full fix.

TO me Dahl is only person guaranteed to start game one of next season in their same position.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Is jason brown not under contract next seson?

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Is jason brown not under contract next seson?
    He still is, Jacob Bell is no longer under contract.

Wragge grades out good in the run and OK in the pass.

Dahl grades out great in the run and OK in the pass

Saffold while struggling with the new alignment this year still graded out great in the pass and really good in the run. He was our best lineman till he got hurt. Say what you will, but PFF agree's and they have the best grading available.

To me these are not broken parts, just inefficient. You fix that with scheme, not with players. Green Bay doesn't have a phenomenal 5 man line. They have 2 or 3 good guys and they fix the rest with scheme.

I think you add 3 new lineman this year, 2 in the draft, and one in FA, that battle guys like Goldberg, Smith, Barnes, and Mattison for the next two spots. If you do a good job you will have a solid line with some decent depth there.

Also, I would have never cut Renardo Foster last season, the guy graded out great and would have helped a ton at the end of this year. I'd see if we could get him again for min. contract next year at training camp time.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

This is perfect. McD is gone, and we will most likely be switching back to the WCO, but a much better version. This means Saffold will once again be a dominant LT, Smith a more than serviceable RT, and we fix one OG spot because C will be Wragge and RG Dahl. Our switch to the WCO enables us to go after DT in the draft, rather than OG/OT very early.