throwback week



Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Barry Waller
  • 1 Post By RAMarkable
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By richtree

Thread: Eric Reid

  1. #1
    Barry Waller is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Alton, Il. USA
    Age
    64
    Posts
    910
    Rep Power
    25

    Eric Reid

    I think with Reid, all you need do is look at LaRon Landry. They are the same player, same college position, same versatility, same questions about ball skills out of LSU.

    Is a young LaRon Landry worth the 22nd over all pick?

    If a WR is the pick at16, I kind of think he is. I think Reid gets dongraded by being on such good defenses, with so much talent around him, that he really never had to stretch himself to cover for others, other than Mathieu, when he was there.

    If the Rams end up with Austin, Reid and then OT T. Armstead, LB A. Brown or K. Greene, RB L. Bell or E. Lacey, G K. Long, or DTs B. Williams, J. Williams I would not be unhappy at all.
    Nick and Bar-bq like this.

    Barry Waller

  2. #2
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,709
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Eric Reid

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    I think with Reid, all you need do is look at LaRon Landry. They are the same player, same college position, same versatility, same questions about ball skills out of LSU.

    Is a young LaRon Landry worth the 22nd over all pick?

    If a WR is the pick at16, I kind of think he is. I think Reid gets dongraded by being on such good defenses, with so much talent around him, that he really never had to stretch himself to cover for others, other than Mathieu, when he was there.

    If the Rams end up with Austin, Reid and then OT T. Armstead, LB A. Brown or K. Greene, RB L. Bell or E. Lacey, G K. Long, or DTs B. Williams, J. Williams I would not be unhappy at all.
    Yeah Barry, I think we could all live with that.

  3. #3
    RAMarkable is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,116
    Rep Power
    41

    Re: Eric Reid

    Barry, welcome back! I was afraid that you weren't posting in here anymore so I am glad to see that you started this thread.

    I agree with your assessment of Eric Reid. I like him more than Vaccaro (pending his pro day 40) and he may very well end up becoming a Ram.

    Keep posting....I appreciate your insights.

    WHAT SAY YE?
    MauiRam likes this.

  4. #4
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,565
    Rep Power
    45

    Re: Eric Reid

    Don't agree at all here. Reid is nowhere near the physical presence Landry is. Landry is a much harder hitter. Plus, he is an in the box S. Landry is also a more sure tackler in my opinion.


    THE DREAM TEAM

  5. #5
    eric2810's Avatar
    eric2810 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    518
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Eric Reid

    I think Reid covers the field from sideline to sideline better than Landry if he's playing deep within the hashes. Eric Reid is fairly capable in pass coverage against slot WRs. Landry, as stated above, is a better tackler in the box and lays a punishing hit. This past year Landry did show some improvements to his game, but I feel Reid could become a better safety overall. Don't underestimate Vacarro either, he's the top safety prospect in the class for a reason.

  6. #6
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    19,044
    Rep Power
    171

    Re: Eric Reid

    I like Reid as a prospect at #22. I think he was somewhat unfairly criticized this year as a result of his team's disappointing season. All I know is, if you were going to mold a safety from clay, he'd probably look a lot like Eric Reid.
    ManofGod likes this.

  7. #7
    richtree's Avatar
    richtree is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,147
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Eric Reid

    I really think our first 2 picks., if not first 3 should all be offensive picks....if we role out the same defense along with 3-7 rounds selections and Free Agents to plug in at Safety, OLB , and depth ...we are fine to compete in our division and 90% of NFC teams.....


    our offense is lacking and any early defensive pick is taking away from the potential of helping our average offense (putting it nicely)...
    mde8352gorams likes this.

  8. #8
    mde8352gorams's Avatar
    mde8352gorams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,843
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: Eric Reid

    Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I really think our first 2 picks., if not first 3 should all be offensive picks....if we role out the same defense along with 3-7 rounds selections and Free Agents to plug in at Safety, OLB , and depth ...we are fine to compete in our division and 90% of NFC teams.....


    our offense is lacking and any early defensive pick is taking away from the potential of helping our average offense (putting it nicely)...
    I agree with Richtree about emphasizing offense with the first few picks. When it comes to Reid that's an interesting question. I feel he would be a good addition to our secondary, but there are several matters to consider. First, do we need a coverage safety early in the draft if Jeff Fisher wants to give Darien Stewart a good shot at making the starting role at safety. If so, wouldn't a better in-the-box type safety like Elam or Cyprien make more sense. Secondly, there's not a lot of history to go by, but does Jeff Fisher not think that highly of LSU secondary players based on his aversion to Morris Claiborne last year. I know there are a lot of reasons to discount that theory, but I just thought I'd throw it out there. It may simply be a scheme type issue, nothing more. Getting back to Reid, I think he's be a great get for us based on what I know. If Jeff likes him, sign me up. I just think we need to look at the big picture before falling in love with any player.

    Go Rams!

  9. #9
    Tampa_Ram's Avatar
    Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bat Yam, Israel
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,958
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: Eric Reid

    Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    First, do we need a coverage safety early in the draft if Jeff Fisher wants to give Darien Stewart a good shot at making the starting role at safety. If so, wouldn't a better in-the-box type safety like Elam or Cyprien make more sense.
    I thought Stewart was more of a Strong Safety? I think he is a better in-the-box safety then a coverage one.


  10. #10
    mde8352gorams's Avatar
    mde8352gorams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,843
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: Eric Reid

    Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    I thought Stewart was more of a Strong Safety? I think he is a better in-the-box safety then a coverage one.
    Tampa, you may be right. I always thought he was a free safety, but it has been a while since he's been on the field so my memory may be fading. If that's the case then by all means, let's grab Eric Reid.

    Go Rams!

  11. #11
    Tampa_Ram's Avatar
    Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bat Yam, Israel
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,958
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: Eric Reid

    Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Tampa, you may be right. I always thought he was a free safety, but it has been a while since he's been on the field so my memory may be fading. If that's the case then by all means, let's grab Eric Reid.

    Go Rams!
    I couldnt remember either really lol, but i had a feeling. Did some research and most of what i read was about him being a SS. I could live with Reid, hes not my favorite but he would be better the Dahl was, almost anyone would.


  12. #12
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    32
    Posts
    19,872
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: Eric Reid

    I wouldn't be upset with Reid @ 22. I like him as a prospect. I don't think he's one of the Top 25 prospects in this class, but on the other hand, I could see him going to a team like San Fran to close the first round @ 31. I don't know that it's awful value for him to go a mere nine slots earlier, and if he fits what the Rams want to do defensively, then there you have it. Still, a lot of it would depend on who is still on the board.

  13. #13
    FestusRam's Avatar
    FestusRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Festus, Missouri
    Posts
    1,293
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: Eric Reid

    I really like Reid. If there's no value on the offensive side left by the 22nd pick, I'd want him. One thing that stands out watching him is how he attacks the ball carrier. Once he's located where the ball is, he doesn't hesitate to come down on it at full speed. What a monumental upgrade he would be over Dahl.

Similar Threads

  1. UPDATE: Andy Reid heading to Kansas City?
    By Nick in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -01-04-2013, 08:03 PM
  2. Reid Is About The Only One Who Wants To Keep McNabb
    By r8rh8rmike in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: -03-07-2010, 07:18 PM
  3. Patriots release safety Reid
    By Nick in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: -08-30-2005, 04:36 PM
  4. Reid gives Owens a reprieve
    By Nick in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: -11-10-2004, 02:58 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -09-08-2004, 03:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •