Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Barry Waller
  • 1 Post By RAMarkable
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By richtree

Thread: Eric Reid

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Eric Reid

I think with Reid, all you need do is look at LaRon Landry. They are the same player, same college position, same versatility, same questions about ball skills out of LSU.

Is a young LaRon Landry worth the 22nd over all pick?

If a WR is the pick at16, I kind of think he is. I think Reid gets dongraded by being on such good defenses, with so much talent around him, that he really never had to stretch himself to cover for others, other than Mathieu, when he was there.

If the Rams end up with Austin, Reid and then OT T. Armstead, LB A. Brown or K. Greene, RB L. Bell or E. Lacey, G K. Long, or DTs B. Williams, J. Williams I would not be unhappy at all.
    Nick and Bar-bq like this.

Barry Waller

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: Eric Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    I think with Reid, all you need do is look at LaRon Landry. They are the same player, same college position, same versatility, same questions about ball skills out of LSU.

Is a young LaRon Landry worth the 22nd over all pick?

If a WR is the pick at16, I kind of think he is. I think Reid gets dongraded by being on such good defenses, with so much talent around him, that he really never had to stretch himself to cover for others, other than Mathieu, when he was there.

If the Rams end up with Austin, Reid and then OT T. Armstead, LB A. Brown or K. Greene, RB L. Bell or E. Lacey, G K. Long, or DTs B. Williams, J. Williams I would not be unhappy at all.
    Yeah Barry, I think we could all live with that.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Barry, welcome back! I was afraid that you weren't posting in here anymore so I am glad to see that you started this thread.

I agree with your assessment of Eric Reid. I like him more than Vaccaro (pending his pro day 40) and he may very well end up becoming a Ram.

Keep posting....I appreciate your insights.

WHAT SAY YE?
    MauiRam likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Don't agree at all here. Reid is nowhere near the physical presence Landry is. Landry is a much harder hitter. Plus, he is an in the box S. Landry is also a more sure tackler in my opinion.

THE DREAM TEAM

eric2810 is offline Registered User

I think Reid covers the field from sideline to sideline better than Landry if he's playing deep within the hashes. Eric Reid is fairly capable in pass coverage against slot WRs. Landry, as stated above, is a better tackler in the box and lays a punishing hit. This past year Landry did show some improvements to his game, but I feel Reid could become a better safety overall. Don't underestimate Vacarro either, he's the top safety prospect in the class for a reason.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I like Reid as a prospect at #22. I think he was somewhat unfairly criticized this year as a result of his team's disappointing season. All I know is, if you were going to mold a safety from clay, he'd probably look a lot like Eric Reid.
    ManofGod likes this.

richtree is offline Registered User

I really think our first 2 picks., if not first 3 should all be offensive picks....if we role out the same defense along with 3-7 rounds selections and Free Agents to plug in at Safety, OLB , and depth ...we are fine to compete in our division and 90% of NFC teams.....

our offense is lacking and any early defensive pick is taking away from the potential of helping our average offense (putting it nicely)...
    mde8352gorams likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I really think our first 2 picks., if not first 3 should all be offensive picks....if we role out the same defense along with 3-7 rounds selections and Free Agents to plug in at Safety, OLB , and depth ...we are fine to compete in our division and 90% of NFC teams.....

our offense is lacking and any early defensive pick is taking away from the potential of helping our average offense (putting it nicely)...
    I agree with Richtree about emphasizing offense with the first few picks. When it comes to Reid that's an interesting question. I feel he would be a good addition to our secondary, but there are several matters to consider. First, do we need a coverage safety early in the draft if Jeff Fisher wants to give Darien Stewart a good shot at making the starting role at safety. If so, wouldn't a better in-the-box type safety like Elam or Cyprien make more sense. Secondly, there's not a lot of history to go by, but does Jeff Fisher not think that highly of LSU secondary players based on his aversion to Morris Claiborne last year. I know there are a lot of reasons to discount that theory, but I just thought I'd throw it out there. It may simply be a scheme type issue, nothing more. Getting back to Reid, I think he's be a great get for us based on what I know. If Jeff likes him, sign me up. I just think we need to look at the big picture before falling in love with any player.

Go Rams!

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    First, do we need a coverage safety early in the draft if Jeff Fisher wants to give Darien Stewart a good shot at making the starting role at safety. If so, wouldn't a better in-the-box type safety like Elam or Cyprien make more sense.
    I thought Stewart was more of a Strong Safety? I think he is a better in-the-box safety then a coverage one.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    I thought Stewart was more of a Strong Safety? I think he is a better in-the-box safety then a coverage one.
    Tampa, you may be right. I always thought he was a free safety, but it has been a while since he's been on the field so my memory may be fading. If that's the case then by all means, let's grab Eric Reid.

Go Rams!

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Tampa, you may be right. I always thought he was a free safety, but it has been a while since he's been on the field so my memory may be fading. If that's the case then by all means, let's grab Eric Reid.

Go Rams!
    I couldnt remember either really lol, but i had a feeling. Did some research and most of what i read was about him being a SS. I could live with Reid, hes not my favorite but he would be better the Dahl was, almost anyone would.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I wouldn't be upset with Reid @ 22. I like him as a prospect. I don't think he's one of the Top 25 prospects in this class, but on the other hand, I could see him going to a team like San Fran to close the first round @ 31. I don't know that it's awful value for him to go a mere nine slots earlier, and if he fits what the Rams want to do defensively, then there you have it. Still, a lot of it would depend on who is still on the board.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

I really like Reid. If there's no value on the offensive side left by the 22nd pick, I'd want him. One thing that stands out watching him is how he attacks the ball carrier. Once he's located where the ball is, he doesn't hesitate to come down on it at full speed. What a monumental upgrade he would be over Dahl.