throwback week

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eric2810

Thread: Eric2810's Rams Mock Draft

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Eric2810's Rams Mock Draft

Thanks for reading, looking forward to the clan's feedback!

Round 1: Jake Matthews OT.

Matthews is the long term solution for the Rams at LT. His game is disciplined and he's very well balanced on his feet, Matthews looks ready to start on day one at any tackle position. Robinson could come into play or perhaps Clowney, but Matthews comes into the draft with very little questions marks whatsoever. He's the right choice to finally add some stability on the offensive line.

Round 1: Darqueze Dennard CB.

Dennard at 13th overall is great value in my opinion. His defensive mindframe could do wonders for the Rams at the cornerback position. Williams needs his corners to play press coverage well which is something Dennard excelled at in college. The Jim Thorpe Winner has great ceiling ahead of him and surely enjoys the game of football.

Round 2: Jarvis Landry WR.

Landry comes into the draft as a sure-handed WR. Sam needs a security blanket badly. Jarvis could be "Amendola" with the tendency of big plays on 3rd down. I was tempted to go TE here and give Bradford another receiving threat next to Cook, but I'm a lot more comfortable with the improvement at TE in Kendricks and Harkey. Snead says we have plenty of options at WR, but I feel Landry will push the herd and challenge Givens for playing time.

Round #3: Deone Bucannon SS.

Showed he could produce consistently in the Pac 12. Great in supporting the run, and with some coaching can improve his footwork the same way McDonald did for the Rams. had a career high 6 interceptions his senior year.

Round 4: Lache Seastrunk RB.

The speed back we've been looking for at running back. Although he was involved in a zone blocking scheme, he cuts forward well and runs tough for his size. The offense will continue to be run-based with Zac Stacy, and Seastrunk will be ready to contribute.

Round 5: Chris Watt OG.

Played very well in the BCS National Championship game against Alabama. Injuries remain a concern, but he should provide much needed depth at Guard.

Round 6: Deandre Coleman DT

Didn't have the stats to truly explain his impact on the defense. A team captain for the Cal Bears, Mr. Coleman plays well with his hands by getting blockers off quickly and remains a problem for lineman in the middle against the run.

Round 7: Denicos Allen LB

Showed up in the Rose Bowl with some nice tackles. Another leader on the well coached Michigan St. defense. Allen will make his mark on special teams.

Round 7: Stephen Morris

Has the NFL arm and needs to study the game more and take advantage of his strengths.
    Bar-bq likes this.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Eric2810's Rams Mock Draft

I like it!

My one consideration is that I'd like to see a QB higher, did you give that any thought? I also feel like Matthews and Denard are well placed now, but we'll see where their stock sits come combine time.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

I'm not sure I like the idea of drafting a strong safety in round 3 when the Rams did the same last year when they took TJ McDonald. I think in the first 3 rounds if they take a safety it's going to be someone who plays Free Safety

shower beers is offline Registered User

Looks good!

It might be a little iffy right now to see Bucannon and Seastrunk available at our 3 and 4 picks, but I wouldn't argue against picking them if they were.

Coleman looks to be great value in the sixth.

I would prefer another QB, maybe someone like Logan Thomas, if we were selecting one in the later rounds.

All that said, I'd be very happy if this is how we ended up on draft day!

Randart is offline Registered User

I also like your draft over all and agree with most of the comments made here as well... Would love one of the higher rated QB's that will go sooner than our last pick. Also not sure Landry lasts till our pick in round 2 sadly seen him going in some mocks at the bottom of round 1. Even after his drop off from the combine. But if these guys all fall to us I think most rams fans would have to be smiling! Good job and thanks for sharing!

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Looks good!

It might be a little iffy right now to see Bucannon and Seastrunk available at our 3 and 4 picks, but I wouldn't argue against picking them if they were.

Coleman looks to be great value in the sixth.

I would prefer another QB, maybe someone like Logan Thomas, if we were selecting one in the later rounds.

All that said, I'd be very happy if this is how we ended up on draft day!
    Yeah I could see those being optimistic picks, being that there won't be a first round running back this year. There could be a "run" on halfbacks in the 2nd-3rd rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I'm not sure I like the idea of drafting a strong safety in round 3 when the Rams did the same last year when they took TJ McDonald. I think in the first 3 rounds if they take a safety it's going to be someone who plays Free Safety
    I think the Rams should strongly consider adding a veteran free safety, however, Bucannon has flashed potential as an all-around safety and could be a fair upgrade over McCleod.

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    I like it!

My one consideration is that I'd like to see a QB higher, did you give that any thought? I also feel like Matthews and Denard are well placed now, but we'll see where their stock sits come combine time.
    Thanks! Yep there was some thought there to add a QB to groom in earlier rounds, but I couldn't seem to nab someone as a go-to guy the Rams could see as a 2nd String QB for this year. With all the rave surrounding Clemens and the coaching staff I'm sure he gets another contract for at least a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Randart View Post
    I also like your draft over all and agree with most of the comments made here as well... Would love one of the higher rated QB's that will go sooner than our last pick. Also not sure Landry lasts till our pick in round 2 sadly seen him going in some mocks at the bottom of round 1. Even after his drop off from the combine. But if these guys all fall to us I think most rams fans would have to be smiling! Good job and thanks for sharing!
    Thanks bro! I think his counter-part Beckham Jr. could be drafted before him. Cooks is also another receiver who has the production and combine performance that would boost him into the first, and given that this receiving class is so deep, I believe Snead knows there's playmakers to be had this year.

punahou is offline Registered User

Landry---

isnt he on our team already? oh wait that's Austin Pettis, or it that Stedman Bailey?
    we need a true 1, and Landry isnt what a #1 is IMO.

I know lots of us are concerned about our DBs, but we should be able to get a good 1 in the later rounds.
    We have the pass rush to 'cover' for the cover guys =P
    Last edited by punahou; -03-04-2014 at 08:24 PM.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Looks good, except, personally I rather go Watkins with the first and OT in second, BUT I can see the logic. I agree with Tomahawk that FS, not SS is what we should get if we go S in the draft.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I like most of it quite a lot.

The only picks I'm not on board with are Landry (I think there are better options) and Morris (I don't think he's an NFL QB).

I particularly like the addition of Dennard and Bucannon to the secondary.