THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

ESPN writer reports Rams "Infatuated" with Gholston.

Per rotoworld

ESPN's Matt Mosley says he "knows for a fact" the Rams are "in love" and "infatuated" with Ohio State DE/OLB Vernon Gholston.
    Mosley doesn't believe they'd take him second overall, though, and mocks Michigan OT Jake Long to St. Louis with the No. 2 pick. It's worth noting that the Rams drafted defenders with the ability to play in both a 3-4 and a 4-3 in 2007 (Adam Carriker/Clifton Ryan). Gholston also falls into that category.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: ESPN writer reports Rams "Infatuated" with Gholston.

Here's Mosley's actual write-up...

2. Rams-Jake Long, OT, Michigan, I know for a fact that the Rams are in love with Ohio State DE/LB Vernon Gholston, but not enough to take him here. Former offensive line coach Tony Sparano might make a strong push for selecting the Michigan Long, and it wouldn't be a bad choice. I just think GM Jeff Ireland and his mentor Bill Parcells think too highly of C. Long to pass on him.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Hmm maybe thats why we don't want Chillar back.

Little
    Tino
    Spoon
    Gholston

Glover
    Clifton
    AC

Could we make the change?

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Could we make the change?
    Doubtful. Little and Pisa are out of place in the 3-4. Glover is not a full time player and did not do well in Dallas' 3-4.

Nick, I keep hearing we are moving in this direction. How do other teams pull this off, in what seems like just a matter choice of scheme? We talk about it for years. I find it strange that we talked about it, draft a guy like Alston, too gear up to switch and let him go.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Nick, I keep hearing we are moving in this direction. How do other teams pull this off, in what seems like just a matter choice of scheme? We talk about it for years. I find it strange that we talked about it, draft a guy like Alston, too gear up to switch and let him go.
    Who keeps saying we are moving in this direction? Everything I've heard has been fan speculation, and guys like Jim Thomas have consistently downplayed the 3-4 in defensive discussions.

Also, I don't think Alston was a great fit in the 3-4 either. Too undersized. Other teams trying to make the switch have struggled at times as well to make it work. Miami tried it previously but not consistently, the ***** are still trying to find pieces for it. New York has struggled to find the pieces.

It’s been speculated for some time that Haslett wants to switch to a 3-4 defense on a more permanent basis, but that appears to still be a ways off. If anything, though, the past three games have proved that the Rams are beginning to get the pieces in place for a potential switch.
    Haslett went on to say that he will use it only if it makes sense against the team we are palying that week.

Maybe it's me, as I seen us use it more and more with Haslett and drafting a guy like Alston, I might have made the leap.

He probably showed more flashes of it with Witherspoon as a pass rusher last year, but that could simply be because we had no pass rush and had to generate it somehow. When it comes to making a transition of the base defense, I don't think we have the pieces.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

This is great news. I'm glad its not Dorsey they're in love with. It's a good move by the Rams. However, I hope this their plan b and plan a is still Chris Long.

eauclare is offline Registered User

This also sends a message to Oakland (4th pick) and the Jets (6th pick.) I have seen a few mocks where they had Gholston going to them, most notably with the Jets.

It may entice one of these teams to move up a couple of spots. We trade down anywhere from 2-4 spots and get their second rounder.

Now you still have a top 4-6 pick, plus the overall #34 and #38th or 40th pick.

In round three you have the 66th pick. Add it all up and you get 4 picks in the first 66 drafted. That would fill some holes.

eauclare is offline Registered User

Here is what I think you could get with the trade I mentioned.

Round 1. Sedrick Ellis, DT or Ryan Clady, OT
    Round 2. Devin Thomas, WR and Lawrence Jackson, DE
    Round 3. Jerod Mayo or Philip Wheeler, both ILB's.

So in summarry, you got a DT, DE, WR and ILB in the first three rounds or a OT, DE, WR and ILB. Look for CB or safety help in early round 4.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Gholston would excel in a hybrid 3-4 on the Rams. Haslett showed some 3-4 on passing downs last season, so Gholston can go from being down on 1st and 2nd to dropping back and standing up in a 3-4 on 3rd. I think Jake Long's name will get floated around just to try and get KC to bite and trade up but I don't think they will buy it. I really see Gholston as a Ware type of player and I think he would be great for our defense.

keith m. klink Guest

There is like what ? 50 days before the draft and already all of this talk is getting me dizzy . i just hope no bonehead moves are made . i really do .

"Infatuated" Definition: marked by foolish or unreasoning fondness.

Be smart GM.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    Gholston would excel in a hybrid 3-4 on the Rams. Haslett showed some 3-4 on passing downs last season, so Gholston can go from being down on 1st and 2nd to dropping back and standing up in a 3-4 on 3rd. I think Jake Long's name will get floated around just to try and get KC to bite and trade up but I don't think they will buy it. I really see Gholston as a Ware type of player and I think he would be great for our defense.
    Actually, Gholston is the ideal player to play in a hybrid 4-3/3-4, as that was exactly how he was used at Ohio State. I believe his defensive coordinator called the position that he created the Leo. The issue isn't if he'd be able to play it, the question still revolves around his drive and his heart. If he was just taking a couple games off because they weren't big time, then I don't think it'll be too much of an issue, however, I don't think he'll ever be a major locker room leader. Especially not the kind of Ray Lewis type leader that Chris Long is.