AugustaRamFan Guest

ESPN's Mock Draft from 4 27 06... Who is...

Tye Hill? Is he worth the #11 pick??

Huff went at #9 I think.... I like John Clayton's thoughts on why the Rams would not take Cutler!

Moderator: The Rams are up and we have a question from John Curtis in St. Louis ... Will the Rams be tempted to take Jay Cutler in this spot. Obviously Bulger is good, but he's always getting hurt?

John Clayton, ESPN.com senior NFL writer: They will be tempted but they need defensive players. After the recent mini-camp, they felt the four players they brought in during free agency were their best players on defense. Marc Bulger is still young. Gus Frerotte is the backup. They need help in the secondary.

11. St. Louis Rams
    Tye Hill, CB, Clemson

John Clayton, ESPN.com senior NFL writer: At the recent mini-camp the Rams' DBs didn't have a lot of success covering their talented receiving corps. Although the Rams would like to get a little big bigger at the cornerback position, Hill offers more coverage skills than Jimmy Williams.

Drew4EverRams Guest

Re: ESPN's Mock Draft from 4 27 06... Who is...

Behind huff and alongside Cromartie,Hill is possibly one of the best Db`s (he projects at CB) prospects in the entire draft he is certainly the best cover CB in the draft, if huff is unattainable to us then my i would prefer to pass on any DB in round 1 but would still take Hill over Cutler!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Hill is a slightly undersized corner prospect (5'9", about Dre Bly size) who has tremendous speed, fluid hips, and great leaping ability. He covers receivers like a blanket does a baby, and I personally think projects better to the pro DB game than bigger physical corners who rely more on pushing and contact to keep receivers from making plays. Hill covers guys with his speed, instincts, and ability to contend for passes, and given the emphasis on contact in the secondary, I like how his skills translate to the next level. He's a worthy pick at 11 IMO.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

He ran the fastest 40 at the combine two right? I guess he and Curtis could have some good footraces at practice.

IsaacBruceFan80 Guest

I read somewhere that Torry Holy who is a draft guru in his own right was asked who he would like the Rams to take if he could play GM.....His pick was Tye Hill so that says he is repected by one of the top wr's in the game....that's good enough for me if we do go with hill.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Yeah, I would think Torry - one of the league's best WRs - would be an adequate judge of defensive backs since he goes against them all the time. Hill getting Holt's gold star of approval even furthers the notion that he'd be solid at 11th overall.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamOfDenmark Guest

I would be quite disappointed to see us take Tye Hill. I don't see CB as a very big need, we have so many guys, including quite a few younger/less experienced guys like Groce, Bartell, Brown etc. I think we need to roll the dice on the guys we already have and count on at least 2 out of the bunch stepping their game up and becoming solid starters (my early prediction would be Butler & Bartell - Fisher looked like he was done playing at this level last year, he was horrible). Besides that I don't see a CB *really* changing our defense, in my opinion if we improve our LB's or D-line instead, what we have at the corner spots will be adequate - we need pass rushers and run stoppers much much more. CB's also usually take a few years to really develop, I'd say apart from QB it seems like one of the most complicated positions to learn well at the NFL level, I think we need to take a player with immediate impact (I'm still hoping that we will be contenders next year, I'm not ready to go into full rebuild mode yet, not before we tank one more season). Hill is a nice prospect in many ways, but I don't like his size either, we have had undersized DB's for years and the average NFL receivers/TE's are not getting any smaller I'm sure. If the only viable prospect left on the board at #11 is Tye Hill I would *much* prefer a trade down, no question about it. As for Cromartie I would rather take a gamble on him than grab Hill, I think he could potentially be a much better player. But again I'm not seeing the urgent need to spend a 1st on a CB with all the other needs on the defensive side. If Cromartie could be converted to S (probably more like a coverage-type FS, although he certainly has the size to be a factor in stopping the run as well) that changes things for me, I definitely see a need for adding a good safety to our roster, that is a much higher priority for me than yet another CB. Hopefully we won't be in this whole situation though, hopefully Hawk/Huff/Ngata/Davis/Bunkley will be available when we go on the clock.

On a sidenote: I heard the 1st round of the draft starts at noon EST, does anyone know what that corresponds to in GMT(+1) time?

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark
    On a sidenote: I heard the 1st round of the draft starts at noon EST, does anyone know what that corresponds to in GMT(+1) time?
    5 PM your time.
    Last edited by evil disco man; -04-28-2006 at 06:26 PM.