57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eugene Monroe.

33 57.89%
  • Jason Smith.

24 42.11%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    KiiNG is offline Registered User

Eugene Monroe or Jason Smith?

If the Rams draft a tackle at #2, who would you rather it be: Eugene Monroe or Jason Smith?

Leave some feedback as to why you prefer the one you do, and why he'd be a better fit for the Rams, Thanks.
    Last edited by KiiNG; -04-09-2009 at 06:42 AM.

KiiNG is offline Registered User

Re: Eugene Monroe or Jason Smith?

6 opinions, no reasons...

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

I went with Monroe, only because he seems to be game ready now & the Rams need a solid OT now. Now if Smith is chosen, no complaints here he also will be a fine OT for years to come. Bottom line you can't go wrong with either one.

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

I gave the slightest of slights to lady legs at this point.

Reason: I feel he has more upside & like his attitude. That and possible knee concerns w/ Monroe

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I voted Monroe but I would be very happy with either.

As for feedback, I'm going to cheat a bit and just copy and paste something I said in another thread regarding the two of them.

This was a response I made in my late March mock draft. To give some context, RamsFan16 asked me if I could sell him on Monroe, as I projected the Rams taking Monroe over Jason Smith.

Thanks for the feedback! Hopefully I can sell you on Monroe, we'll see...

Did the combine put you over the top for Smith? I feel as if a lot of people saw Smith's 33 reps on the bench and instantly elevated him over Monroe. Really they both have very good combines, but some of Smith's tests concerned me a bit.

His broad and vertical jump were not great and suggested lower body strength may be an issue. I believe NFLN's comments regarding his pro day said something similar about him getting pushed back a bit and not having good lower body strength. To me, that's vital for an offensive lineman in terms of the leverage game. Monroe tested well in this regard at the combine.

Smith is the better athlete of the two but is more of a risk as he hasn't spent as much time playing the position and comes from a system where he primarily operated out of the two-point stance. Monroe has been starting at left tackle for Virginia since he was a sophomore, and is the main reason former Top 15 pick Brandon Albert had to play inside at guard rather than at tackle. In over 1200 offensive plays, Monroe has allowed only two sacks (Smith has allowed 4.5 sacks in 1100+ plays). His technique is outstanding, and I think he's a better pass and run blocker than Smith is right now.

The thing about Smith is upside. Monroe doesn't have as much room to grow as Smith does, because again, Smith is still refining his technique and gaining experience at the position. Smith is the more aggressive player, and people fell in love with his combine quote about how he likes to physically assault his opponents on the field. They are both very, very good prospects.

Both of them seem to be great character players and have great work ethics. But I see less of a risk in Monroe as well as a guy who is better prepared to contribute from Day One. I feel Monroe demonstrates better technique, has better slide and mirror skills, and is simply more polished. I love the fact that he has the largest hands of any offensive tackle, because I imagine once he gets those hands on his man, they're locked out of the backfield.

It really just depends on what you're looking for. Neither of these guys are going to embarrass their teams, but it just comes down to whether or not you want a guy who is ready to contribute now but may not have huge upside, or if you want a guy who might have a few more lapses than his colleagues but still has a lot of room to develop and grow. I think both of these guys are capable of being very efficient left tackles at the next level.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

I voted for Monroe, as Nick said above, he is a safer pick than Smith. I don't like the fact that Smith moved up some draft boards because of the combine, I'd prefer to have the talent judged on their college career.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I voted Monroe also. He has started at the T position for three years I think at UVA. He also seems to be ready to go at the pro level right now.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

I'll take Smith. Rather have Curry then Monroe.....

timsum1283 is offline Registered User

I chose Smith but I may have to backtrack that after reading Nick's view and the fact that Viriginia has produced much better pro prospects (especially on the OL and DL) than Baylor.

viper is offline Registered User

I went with Monroe. You know what you're going to get with him and he can probably start right away if necessary. Either one would be fine though.
    Last edited by viper; -04-09-2009 at 05:26 PM.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Jason Smith. Take Curry if Smith is gone - absolutely.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Three weeks ago I leaned toward Munroe. Lately I've been leaning towards Smith. But what do I know? (Don't answer that please) The easiest scenario would be for Detroit to select Stafford, and leave the choice to Billy D and Spags ... I'd be happy with either one ...

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

I would be happy with both.

I liked E. Monroe the best until I watched tape on J. Smith.
    I voted J. Smith he has a mean streack and would be a powerful run blocker for S-J.
    I know E. Monroe is a better pass blocker right now. Who knows who's better in year two.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I'll be happy either way. And IMO, one of these guys will be a Ram in two weeks.

However, if I had my 'druthers, I'd go with Smith..........by a hair.

Both are agile, both can cover the edge, both are 3 year starters at OT, both are long-armed, both are intelligent, both have solid work ethics. But both could stand to bulk up and strengthen their lower body. Pretty equal.

Smith has the higher ceiling, but Monroe has the higher floor. Depending on your affinity for gambling, one will be preferred over the other.

What moves me slightly towards Smith is the scouts reports of a nasty demeanor, whereas Monroe has less of a killer instinct. Maybe it's just 4 years of Barron, but that scares me just a tad.

Bottomline: Either will walk into Rams camp as the best OT on the roster, so while I prefer Smith ever so slightly, I'll be excited with the announcement of either name.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RockinRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'll be happy either way. And IMO, one of these guys will be a Ram in two weeks.

However, if I had my 'druthers, I'd go with Smith..........by a hair.

Both are agile, both can cover the edge, both are 3 year starters at OT, both are long-armed, both are intelligent, both have solid work ethics. But both could stand to bulk up and strengthen their lower body. Pretty equal.

Smith has the higher ceiling, but Monroe has the higher floor. Depending on your affinity for gambling, one will be preferred over the other.

What moves me slightly towards Smith is the scouts reports of a nasty demeanor, whereas Monroe has less of a killer instinct. Maybe it's just 4 years of Barron, but that scares me just a tad.

Bottomline: Either will walk into Rams camp as the best OT on the roster, so while I prefer Smith ever so slightly, I'll be excited with the announcement of either name.

And with the 2nd overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, the Rams select..................Smith. Andre Smith.

I went with Jason Smith on this one. However, my opinion may still change.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast