57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eugene Monroe.

33 57.89%
  • Jason Smith.

24 42.11%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ManofGod is offline Registered User

Re: Eugene Monroe or Jason Smith?

[quote=Nick;286658]I voted Monroe but I would be very happy with either.
    quote]

For a change I actually agree with Nick, its been said many times by various scouts that Monroe is ready NOW, but Smith has more upside possibly in the future. At this point in time we need a sure thing because after all he is responsible for protecting our best 2 players.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I've gone back and forth between the two, but I think I've settled on Monroe. He had 105 knockdowns in his senior year (to J. Smith's 96), 16 blocks that led to TDs (although J. Smith had 17), and was a 2nd team All-American (J. Smith was 3rd team). But most importantly, he hasn't allowed a sack in the last three seasons. It's that kind of consistency that we need right now.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    But most importantly, he hasn't allowed a sack in the last three seasons. It's that kind of consistency that we need right now.
    Well, that's not exactly right. Over his time at UVA, he's given up 2 sacks over 1,212 pass plays.

Not 0, but dang close enough in my book.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    What moves me slightly towards Smith is the scouts reports of a nasty demeanor, whereas Monroe has less of a killer instinct. Maybe it's just 4 years of Barron, but that scares me just a tad.

Bottomline: Either will walk into Rams camp as the best OT on the roster, so while I prefer Smith ever so slightly, I'll be excited with the announcement of either name.
    This sums it up very well, especially the reference to Barron .. As you say, either one will be an immediate upgrade! If by chance Jason is our choice, this ought to place additional pressure on Steven Jackson ...

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Well, that's not exactly right. Over his time at UVA, he's given up 2 sacks over 1,212 pass plays.

Hey now, 2 sacks in 1,212 plays is nothing to frown upon by any means and goes without further comment

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Wow, and they say baseball is a stat sport. Quickly, how many times did Monroe change the blocking scheme by nudging the guard with his left hand who then nudged the center with his left foot who then changed the scheme that led to a first down after being 3rd and 8 when a pass play was called but the blitz was shown but wasn't on?

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Wow, and they say baseball is a stat sport. Quickly, how many times did Monroe change the blocking scheme by nudging the guard with his left hand who then nudged the center with his left foot who then changed the scheme that led to a first down after being 3rd and 8 when a pass play was called but the blitz was shown but wasn't on?

However, some will argue 4 because in the Richmond game from this past year, this situation played out while the SS was shadowing the motion in the backfield, and appeared to be walked up as the motion went in towards the line. I don't consider that showing the blitz, but I can see where some would.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

clarasDK is offline Registered User

I went for Monroe as I think he is less of a risc than Smith and more ready from day one.

But I would not cry if we ended up with Smith either.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

My mistake, I saw that near the end of his bio, but I think they must have been talking about high school at that point. I know I've seen multiple places that he didn't allow any in the last 25 games of his college career, which would span at least the last two seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    My mistake, I saw that near the end of his bio, but I think they must have been talking about high school at that point. I know I've seen multiple places that he didn't allow any in the last 25 games of his college career, which would span at least the last two seasons.
    Yea, that's just the anal CPA in me. Either way, no mistaking Monroe is the best pass protector in the draft.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I voted Monroe but I would be very happy with either.

As for feedback, I'm going to cheat a bit and just copy and paste something I said in another thread regarding the two of them.

This was a response I made in my late March mock draft. To give some context, RamsFan16 asked me if I could sell him on Monroe, as I projected the Rams taking Monroe over Jason Smith.
    I know it wasn't the intent but you actually sold me more on Smith than Monroe, for the simple reason that I prefer a player that is good now, but can still get much better.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

[quote=Tony Soprano;286707].
    Jason Smith. Take Curry if Smith is gone - absolutely.

Great minds from Jersey think alike. Check my earlier response....

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Actually, Monroe gave up 1 of his 2 career sacks this year to the athletic freak Michael Johnson.

This whole situation kind of reminds me of last year when we were talking about Jake Long last year. He gave up 2 career sacks one against another athletic freak Derrick Harvey I believe (I could be wrong). People complained about him not being an elite pass blocker, but an elite run blocker. You can say Monroe is an elite pass blocker and not an elite run blocker.

If you look at pas draft history with tackles in the top ten I think there is a common theme. You take the proven commodity over the high upside. You don't take Ryan Clady over Jake Long. You don't take Levi Brown over Joe Thomas. You don't take Alex Barron over Jamal Brown (not in top 10). Granted the gap might be closer between Smith and Monroe, but IMO the rule still applies and you dont take Jason Smith over Eugene Monroe.

Madookaboo is offline Registered User

I think you all are forgetting that UVA played in the ACC. Look at the competition Eugene was up against vs what Jason smith played. Crucial, crucial difference.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I voted for Jason Smith because we have a better history with OL with the intials "JS". Think Jackie Slater and Joe Scibelli.

Just kidding

Jason Smith has a nasty demeanor and I like that. We need some 'tude on this team!

Go Rams!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast