Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Evaluating current WRs and looking to the future.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Evaluating current WRs and looking to the future.

WR continues to a be a position that I go back and forth on when thinking about the 2014 draft. Here is my current view of what we have:

Chris Givens (28 receptions, 463 yards, 0 TDs)
    After his rookie year, it seems that Givens has lost the element of surprise and, as a result, has not been able to get open deep as often. I think this is a classic case of a guy who is good enough to start, but not to deal with the attention given to a "No. 1 WR." I view him as a keeper, but he could use some help.

Austin Pettis (28 receptions, 297 yards, 4 TDs)
    Pettis is an effective guy to move the chains and get open in the Red Zone, but he's not, in my opinion, a starting WR. As I noted in another thread, he could be a good trade commodity. Otherwise, he's a depth/situational guy.

Brian Quick (11 receptions, 226 yards, 1 TD)
    Quick has shown some flashes that make me reluctant to give up on him. When he plays with confidence, his obvious physical talents are intriguing. I think its too soon to give up on him, but I also don't think he can be relied upon without a contingency plan.

Tavon Austin (33 receptions, 345 yards, 4 TDs)
    I think Austin will develop into the type of playmaker we expected him to be, but he is not a traditional No. 1 WR. We still need a strong outside receiver to keep defenses from keying on Austin.

Stedman Bailey (1 reception, 12 yards, 0 TDs)
    Bailey is a complete question mark. Hopefully, he'll get some opportunities in the remainder of the season.

Looking at this list, my conclusion is that we have enough young guys with potential that I wouldn't feel compelled to take another one after Round 1 in the hope of developing a starter. The reality is, you can't develop more than 4 WRs at once. There are only so many footballs to go around.

On the other hand, if there is a WR who is viewed as an elite prospect who is available when the Rams make their first round selections, I would be tempted. Right now, two names top the list.

Sammy Watkins (Clemson) has the look of a No. 1 WR on the field, but is not a "freak" mismatch at 6'1, 205 lbs. I'm sure Rams fans everywhere will eagerly await his 40 time.

Mike Evans (Texas A&M), on the other hand, has that "freak" size at 6'5, 225. The question with him will be whether he is fast enough to be more than a possession/Red Zone receiver in the NFL.

The debate continues...

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

Re: Evaluating current WRs and looking to the future.

Do you view Marquise Lee as a 1st round type of wideout? He, like Watkins, isn't tall, around 6 feet I believe but his production, routes and potential certainly seem to be worthy of first rounder.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I think the Rams are kind of stuck in a bit of a hard situation right now as it relates to the wide receiver position.

They have a boatload of youth at the position and depth should be taken care of given the current roster. What they really need, and have needed for the past couple of seasons, is a legit #1-caliber receiver. Someone who can draw coverage away from their other playmakers and still make plays despite the attention.

So the question is where do you find that guy. Do you draft another young prospect who might take some time to acclimate to the NFL? Do you try to find this type of player in free agency, where the best potential options appear to be Kenny Britt or Hakeem Nicks?

I don't know where I'm siding on this one just yet. None of the receiving prospects in this class impress me quite as much as Green/Jones or Blackmon from a few years back, but I'm hesitant to shell out big money for either Britt or Nicks because I could easily see them not living up to that contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I think the Rams are kind of stuck in a bit of a hard situation right now as it relates to the wide receiver position.

They have a boatload of youth at the position and depth should be taken care of given the current roster. What they really need, and have needed for the past couple of seasons, is a legit #1-caliber receiver. Someone who can draw coverage away from their other playmakers and still make plays despite the attention.

So the question is where do you find that guy. Do you draft another young prospect who might take some time to acclimate to the NFL? Do you try to find this type of player in free agency, where the best potential options appear to be Kenny Britt or Hakeem Nicks?

I don't know where I'm siding on this one just yet. None of the receiving prospects in this class impress me quite as much as Green/Jones or Blackmon from a few years back, but I'm hesitant to shell out big money for either Britt or Nicks because I could easily see them not living up to that contract.
    You and I are of like mind on this one.

Unless someone emerges (much as Julio Jones did during "draft season"), I think I'd be more inclined to bolster the O line, perhaps add another RB to help keep Stacy from wearing down, and trust that our current crop of receivers will prove sufficient if we can run the ball and protect Sam.
    Nick, Torry Holt and ManofGod like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfnRAMFAN View Post
    Do you view Marquise Lee as a 1st round type of wideout? He, like Watkins, isn't tall, around 6 feet I believe but his production, routes and potential certainly seem to be worthy of first rounder.
    Lee does not strike me as a true No. 1.
    ManofGod likes this.

Mikey is offline Registered User

It's hard to see us taking a 1st round WR unless we move one of the guys on the roster right now. In Fishers conservative offense we're more likely to run a 2 TE, 2 WR and 1 RB formation than a WR heavy formation. Drafting a 1st or 2nd round WR would take play time away from a young group that needs playing time to continue to develop.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

I believe that we're better off grooming our current crop of receivers. The only consideration for drafting a WR is to replace Pettis. WR development takes 3 years on average for them to breakout. The oldest WR on our roster is Pettis and replacing him will only youthen our receiving corps.

Quick improved on his blocking so that's one reason I would like to keep him and I hope he improves his routes and catching also.

Givens as AV said isn't a #1 receiver but he's more than capable of being a headache for DCs once Austin and Quick improve their game; he thrived off DBs keying on Gibson and Amendola his rookie year so how much more our current group if they blossom.

As for Bailey, he showed flashes on that one reception especially with that second effort. Special teams is sure helping him learn to play physical in the NFL. I'm guessing the coaching staff doesn't want to throw him to the wolves and break his confidence.

Ideally, our current crop will all blossom and we will go from the worst WR depth to one of the best in the league. This would be great as it would give our offense a rotational set of fresh legs to exploit the stamina of DBs.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

BigGameTH is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    perhaps add another RB to help keep Stacy from wearing down
    I haven't been keeping up with college football hardly at all this year, but this highlight reel sure got me pumped to hope we take this guy in the second if he is there:

While the recent games I've seen Thomas has played more WR, I think for us he could be what the coaches were hoping Pead would be at RB. Between him and Austin that would be a lot of speed.

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

Our current receivers are the 5 WR's above, but Cook and Kendricks also catch quite a few passes. I think we can all agree we would like improvement from these pass catchers, whoever they may be. What if the best pass catcher in this draft for causing match up problems isn't a WR but a TE.

I'm thinking of Eric Ebron, the TE out of North Carolina. I'm well aware we spent a lot of money on Cook but if they are on the field at the same time, that will cause match up nightmares. A player like him may improve our offense as much as any WR would IMO.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameTH View Post
    I haven't been keeping up with college football hardly at all this year, but this highlight reel sure got me pumped to hope we take this guy in the second if he is there:

While the recent games I've seen Thomas has played more WR, I think for us he could be what the coaches were hoping Pead would be at RB. Between him and Austin that would be a lot of speed.
    already have Tavon, who is also bigger than he is, i think faster too

and if the rams want another RB i'd look elsewhere

not to mention he plays in the spread option, won't have that here

Lee does not strike me as a true No. 1.
    in what aspects?

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    in what aspects?
    Size, for one. He also has not been consistent.

Size, for one. He also has not been consistent.
    yea, i get size

though he's been consistent all but the beginning of this year prior to injury

heck, even hurt now, you see the last two games? Especially against stanford, he made some GREAT catches

though i'd agree, as much as i'd have liked robert woods he didn't fall to us and is a #2 receiver, seems to be the same with Lee as well, but i don't think he falls to us imo anyway, or rather, if he does, the rams have greater needs than drafting Lee

demiurge is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    yea, i get size

though he's been consistent all but the beginning of this year prior to injury

heck, even hurt now, you see the last two games? Especially against stanford, he made some GREAT catches

though i'd agree, as much as i'd have liked robert woods he didn't fall to us and is a #2 receiver, seems to be the same with Lee as well, but i don't think he falls to us imo anyway, or rather, if he does, the rams have greater needs than drafting Lee
    Lee reminds me of a glider - someone in the Isaac Bruce or Marvin Harrison mode. Hard to know if he's truly got that potential, but at least at one point he was considered the better prospect than Woods.

But then, I'm an USC fan too, so I'm probably just projecting my homer sensibilities.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Anquin Boldin would look good in blue and gold. His veteran presence would do wonders for our young receving corps. I would give him a 2yr 10 million dollar deal in a heartbeat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast