Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Evaluating current WRs and looking to the future.

  1. #16
    Vinnie25's Avatar
    Vinnie25 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    869
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Evaluating current WRs and looking to the future.

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Size, for one. He also has not been consistent.
    Lee may not be 6-4 225 lbs but he's still a legit #1 receiver in my book. He's been consistent every season but this year (mainly due to horrible QB play and crappy play calling by Lane Kiffin early in the year). Also, he's been injured, and he's such a gamer that he refuses to sit a couple games to heal and ends up playing hurt. I've seen this kid play since he was a true freshman, and out of all of the athletes on the USC offense he was the one who defensive coordinators game-planned the most to try to stop. He does drop the occasional ball now and then (which I mostly attribute to his health) and he might not be a monster in the Calvin Johnson-mold, but he's a physical player nonetheless who never takes plays off and isn't afraid to go over the middle to make the tough catch. He's also a hardworking and coachable kid from what I hear, and I'm sure that Jeff Fisher has friends at his alma mater that would tell him the same. Remember, this guy was a Heisman candidate at the beginning of the year and most likely would have been the top WR taking in last year's draft if he was allowed to go pro.


  2. #17
    Mikey's Avatar
    Mikey is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,033
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Evaluating current WRs and looking to the future.

    Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    Anquin Boldin would look good in blue and gold. His veteran presence would do wonders for our young receving corps. I would give him a 2yr 10 million dollar deal in a heartbeat.
    I think Boldin would do wonders for Quicks development. I also think his salary demands will be higher than what the FO is willing to give him considering other needs. Quick is getting more and more PT as we focus more on the run, I think last week he was the third highest WR in snaps on offense behind Austin and Givens. I'm actually against signing a veteran WR regardless of cost unless he's a camp body, don't want anybody taking snaps from our talented youngsters.

  3. #18
    richtree's Avatar
    richtree is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,137
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Evaluating current WRs and looking to the future.

    You guys won't like my evaluation, but here is the honest truth:


    Chris Givens (28 receptions, 463 yards, 0 TDs)
    Givens is not good enough to be in the Rams WR mix. He is expendable and will probably be only used as a decoy down the field for rest of his career with Rams.

    Austin Pettis (28 receptions, 297 yards, 4 TDs)
    Has shown that he can catch the ball in red zone and in slot, but cannot play outside or create separation. He will be kept as #5 WR even if we add a few really good guys for his versatility.

    Brian Quick (11 receptions, 226 yards, 1 TD)
    Has one last season (next year) to prove if he can play with skill...If not, he will be gone. Odds are he will be.

    Tavon Austin (33 receptions, 345 yards, 4 TDs)
    Staff is starting to committing to this guy to get the ball to him. If you noticed he has played better as Stacey has run the ball opening up seems. I still think Fisher has to open his mind away from the conventional sets and use Austin in backfield more.....This will grow, he is not a worry for us.

    Stedman Bailey (1 reception, 12 yards, 0 TDs)
    He really isn't strong enough...He has good hands, but I don't know if he has the desire to really be a mean, tough guy and come back ripped from NFL conditioning. He is smart with hands -- so if you see him walk into training camp buffed up he has a shot to be good -- if not he will be a special teamer with 5 catches a season....


    ALL AND ALL THIS MEANS WE NEED TO DRAFT A WR IN ROUND 1 AND ADD ONE IN FREE AGENCY !!!

  4. #19
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,500
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Evaluating current WRs and looking to the future.

    Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    You guys won't like my evaluation, but here is the honest truth:


    Chris Givens (28 receptions, 463 yards, 0 TDs)
    Givens is not good enough to be in the Rams WR mix. He is expendable and will probably be only used as a decoy down the field for rest of his career with Rams.

    Austin Pettis (28 receptions, 297 yards, 4 TDs)
    Has shown that he can catch the ball in red zone and in slot, but cannot play outside or create separation. He will be kept as #5 WR even if we add a few really good guys for his versatility.

    Brian Quick (11 receptions, 226 yards, 1 TD)
    Has one last season (next year) to prove if he can play with skill...If not, he will be gone. Odds are he will be.

    Tavon Austin (33 receptions, 345 yards, 4 TDs)
    Staff is starting to committing to this guy to get the ball to him. If you noticed he has played better as Stacey has run the ball opening up seems. I still think Fisher has to open his mind away from the conventional sets and use Austin in backfield more.....This will grow, he is not a worry for us.

    Stedman Bailey (1 reception, 12 yards, 0 TDs)
    He really isn't strong enough...He has good hands, but I don't know if he has the desire to really be a mean, tough guy and come back ripped from NFL conditioning. He is smart with hands -- so if you see him walk into training camp buffed up he has a shot to be good -- if not he will be a special teamer with 5 catches a season....


    ALL AND ALL THIS MEANS WE NEED TO DRAFT A WR IN ROUND 1 AND ADD ONE IN FREE AGENCY !!!
    I'm not as down on these guys as you are, but I certainly think we need to add a #1 WR this off-season. Whether that's through the draft or Free Agency. We need a guy who is an established WR that can go out on 3rd downs and make tough catches that he really shouldn't make. A guy that DC's lose sleep over. A guy that'll make the opposing team adjust their defense according to where he's lining up.. A guy that demands double teams and the opposing teams #1 CB.

    Guys I'd be interested in: Hakeem Nicks, Anquan Boldin, Jeremy Maclin, and James Jones. The only guy I view here as a #1 is Nicks, but Boldin is as dependable as they get, Maclin could be a big time steal, and Jones as depth. Even with the addition of those 3, I'd think long and hard about adding a drafted WR. This is why I'd either go (most likely) with a drafted WR (Lee, Watkins) or FA (Hakeem Nicks).


    THE DREAM TEAM

  5. #20
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,318
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Evaluating current WRs and looking to the future.

    I agree with those that think we still need a true number one. I hope we don't draft another WR this year or try and get one this off season. I would like to see what Givens and Quick look like in year three first. I also want to get a longer look at Bailey. The Rams have decreased the amount of reps Pettis is getting. Quick is now playing more then he is and last week Bailey had just as many reps. I hope this continues the rest of the way and into next year.

  6. #21
    citr92's Avatar
    citr92 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,327
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Evaluating current WRs and looking to the future.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Lee may not be 6-4 225 lbs but he's still a legit #1 receiver in my book. He's been consistent every season but this year (mainly due to horrible QB play and crappy play calling by Lane Kiffin early in the year). Also, he's been injured, and he's such a gamer that he refuses to sit a couple games to heal and ends up playing hurt. I've seen this kid play since he was a true freshman, and out of all of the athletes on the USC offense he was the one who defensive coordinators game-planned the most to try to stop. He does drop the occasional ball now and then (which I mostly attribute to his health) and he might not be a monster in the Calvin Johnson-mold, but he's a physical player nonetheless who never takes plays off and isn't afraid to go over the middle to make the tough catch. He's also a hardworking and coachable kid from what I hear, and I'm sure that Jeff Fisher has friends at his alma mater that would tell him the same. Remember, this guy was a Heisman candidate at the beginning of the year and most likely would have been the top WR taking in last year's draft if he was allowed to go pro.
    even though lee says he's 50/50 on leaving now, in august he was gone, so that says coach Orgeron is doing a good job to say the least

    that said, i hope he does go to the nfl, he doesn't need another year

    all the stuff he can fix he can do while obtaining millions of dollars

    i would love him in blue and gold

    might not have the ideal size, but he plays like he does

    his work ethic will indeed help him become a great player for any team he's drafted on (so long as it's not the jets)

  7. #22
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,816
    Rep Power
    168

    Re: Evaluating current WRs and looking to the future.

    Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    You guys won't like my evaluation, but here is the honest truth:
    I disagree with you on a number of your evaluations:

    Chris Givens (28 receptions, 463 yards, 0 TDs)
    Givens is not good enough to be in the Rams WR mix. He is expendable and will probably be only used as a decoy down the field for rest of his career with Rams.
    Disagree completely. I think he could be a very good No. 2 WR.

    Brian Quick (11 receptions, 226 yards, 1 TD)
    Has one last season (next year) to prove if he can play with skill...If not, he will be gone. Odds are he will be.
    I'm not so sure. Some WRs break out quickly around year 3, and he could be one of them. I agree, though, that he needs to step up by next year to remain in the mix.

    Stedman Bailey (1 reception, 12 yards, 0 TDs)
    He really isn't strong enough...He has good hands, but I don't know if he has the desire to really be a mean, tough guy and come back ripped from NFL conditioning. He is smart with hands -- so if you see him walk into training camp buffed up he has a shot to be good -- if not he will be a special teamer with 5 catches a season....
    I think you are underestimating him.

    ALL AND ALL THIS MEANS WE NEED TO DRAFT A WR IN ROUND 1 AND ADD ONE IN FREE AGENCY !!!
    Again, totally disagree. I would not rule out taking a WR in Round 1 if the BPA is a wideout, but I think FA WRs are the biggest rip-offs in the FA market.

  8. #23
    richtree's Avatar
    richtree is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,137
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Evaluating current WRs and looking to the future.

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I disagree with you on a number of your evaluations:



    Disagree completely. I think he could be a very good No. 2 WR.

    [B]

    I'm not so sure. Some WRs break out quickly around year 3, and he could be one of them. I agree, though, that he needs to step up by next year to remain in the mix.



    I think you are underestimating him.



    Again, totally disagree. I would not rule out taking a WR in Round 1 if the BPA is a wideout, but I think FA WRs are the biggest rip-offs in the FA market.

    Very hard to see Givens as a #2 on any team....if he left the Rams I don't think he could start for any NFL team, nevermind a playoff team. Could you see that ? If so, who would you compare him to that is similar?

    I am routing for Quick too, but I am sick of waiting...I think Fisher will give him a "try out" in last 3 games to see how far he has come.

    Also, we have been lucky with injuries to our WR core. We really didn't have any. I think Bailey needs to get really strong, if not he wont' get on the field. If he can't get playing time on turf, with a weak WR, he will never see the field.

    The NFL is an offensive league where QBs and WRs have huge impacts....that is why Austin went so high, and that is why we need more WRs that can play.....Bradford isn't "Brees, Brady, Rodgers"...so we need players around him....especially in the NFC West --

    My Dream scenerio would be:

    Round 1 - B.Coleman
    Round 1 - BPA
    Round 2 - Jarvis Landry

    FA - Kenny Britt

    Starters

    WR#1 Coleman
    WR#2 Britt
    WR #3 Landry
    Flex# T.Austin
    TE J. Cook

  9. #24
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,816
    Rep Power
    168
    Your devotion to Britt borders on obsessive.
    sosa39rams and DE_Ramfan like this.

  10. #25
    richtree's Avatar
    richtree is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,137
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Evaluating current WRs and looking to the future.

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Your devotion to Britt borders on obsessive.
    There are less than 10 WRs with elite athletic, ability -- he is one of them.

  11. #26
    Mikey's Avatar
    Mikey is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,033
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Evaluating current WRs and looking to the future.

    Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    There are less than 10 WRs with elite athletic, ability -- he is one of them.
    And a rap sheet that few others can match too. Everybody knows the guys got talent but he's so messed up in the head and can't stay out of trouble. Do you really want this guy hanging around our core of young recievers? I can think of few vet signings that would be worse for this team. Keep him as far from StLouis as you can please.

  12. #27
    RebelYell's Avatar
    RebelYell is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis ,Missouri
    Posts
    2,387
    Rep Power
    45

    Re: Evaluating current WRs and looking to the future.

    Mike Evans has fallen off dramatically down the stretch.
    Against Mizzou - 4 catches for 8 yards against a late round CB in Gaines.
    He looked pretty average against LSU. On the last 4 drives JJF threw to him repeatedly for only 1 reception.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Rams get busy evaluating players, needs ..
    By MauiRam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: -02-21-2012, 06:48 PM
  2. Evaluating QBs is a tough part of draft
    By eldfan in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: -04-12-2010, 11:55 PM
  3. Evaluating Josh Johnson..
    By Bralidore(RAMMODE) in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: -02-22-2010, 07:18 PM
  4. Re-evaluating Alex Barron
    By eldfan in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: -02-11-2009, 04:22 PM
  5. Evaluating Team Needs
    By Nick in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: -01-18-2005, 08:49 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •