Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Evan Silva: Rams will be in on Finnegan

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Re: Evan Silva: Rams will be in on Finnegan

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    True, but if the money is right, 27 year old All Pro Corner + 30 year old good corner coming off fractured neck > choosing one or the other.
    Totally agree Av.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    My bad on Finnegans age, but Bartell will be 30 by the start of the 2012 season. His birthday is 10 days away.

Cute...the guy who changes his opinion on every prospect, coach, etc. on a dime is taking a shot at me investing in 'madden ratings'

At least I stick to my guns on players, and I own the dish brother... Watch football every Sunday. I enjoy watching Finnegan play. To think i base my judgements on Madden is comical. I can run you under the table with football knowledge. Besides, show me any instance in this thread where I have described Bartell as 'no good.' It is just my OPINION that Finnegan is better. In fact, my first post I stated I would ideally love to have both but if it came down to one or the other I'd rather have Finnegan. So read before you talk.

Btw, why are you posting in this thread? Don't you have the other thread to monitor where the CFL player had a medical condition and you predicted the future?
    I said I was joking, so relax. And second off please for the love of the boards dont talk "Mr. Fisher for 2 weeks and than Im getting sick of this guy I dont even want him anymore screw him, he can go to the Dolpins". Then we hire him and you had to post "Yeah sorry guys I guess I just overreacted" ... nice eh? Maybe you should think before you talk and stop trying to judge other people over a internet forum...

And you watch football every Sunday? Ok, so do I. " I can run you under the table with football knowledge." I guarantee you cant. And I respect you're opinion. If you think Finnegan is better, than thats fine. Im sure tons of people think that too. Its very arguable. I'd love to have Finnegan and Bartell too, but with the cap space we have this year, I highly doubt that.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

For the sole purpose of providing some information that might move the conversation along, consider that Ron Bartell's average ranking by Pro Football Focus based on their cumulative rating at the position from 2008 to 2010 was 62nd. Finnegan's over the same span was 56th.

Looking just at that window gives Bartell an advantage, because it's cutting out Finnegan's 2011 season where he ranked 3rd of all CBs. Since 2008, Bartell has never finished among the Top 20 in CBs when ranked by cumulative CB rating. Finnegan has... twice. In two of those three seasons, Finnegan ranked higher than Bartell based solely on coverage ranking as well.
    Then the argument is no longer Finnegan vs. Bartell, but Pro Football Focus vs. Football Outsiders.

As Football Outsiders ranked Bartell 5th in 2010 with Finnegan being the one well behind.

But in the end the best point you made was familiarity with Fisher. That will be a huge factor if/when it becomes an either/or situation. I hope it doesn't as I would love to see them both on the field, but I guess time will tell.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

That's all I was looking for Nick. I know that there must be a difference between Football Outsiders and PFF, as the charting that FO does tends to favor Bartell over that three year span, but they say that they shave off plays where the CB was not in primary coverage and such, where I don't know what PFF does. Really, all I wanted was someone to come and defend Finnegan with some kind of factual evidence. Stats do not tell the whole story, however, for a position like CB, looking at charted stats such as success rate and the number/percentage of targets(if they're a shutdown guy, there'll be less targets), you can get a bit closer.

Something I did just think of, however, though I won't spend the time to research it properly. Does anyone else find it a bit of a coincidence that the year the Finnegan rates as a top 5 CB, it's the same year that Peyton can't play, Andre is hurt(DNP, 2 for 24 yards with Delhomme, in two games), and Jacksonville is not even worth mentioning offensively? Now, they did play some good passing teams, Pittsburgh, NO, Atlanta, Cinci... they just happened to lose to all of them. Interesting, no?
    I believe!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Also, Nick, I agree with Hub. The best point you made was the fact that Fisher is familiar with him and whether or not we actively pursue him will be all we really need to know. Fisher knows his game quite well, and if he thinks that Bartell cannot play his/Williams' schemes as well as Finnegan, well, chances are likely that we'll be making the switch, regardless of the money.
    I believe!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    But in the end the best point you made was familiarity with Fisher. That will be a huge factor if/when it becomes an either/or situation. I hope it doesn't as I would love to see them both on the field, but I guess time will tell.
    I hope it doesn't, either.

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Does anyone else find it a bit of a coincidence that the year the Finnegan rates as a top 5 CB, it's the same year that Peyton can't play, Andre is hurt(DNP, 2 for 24 yards with Delhomme, in two games), and Jacksonville is not even worth mentioning offensively?
    No more coincidence than what Bartell faced in his outstanding 2010 season - Derek Anderson starting for the Cardinals twice, a heavy dose of Troy Smith for SF in two games, Shaun Hill starting in Detroit, and no Vincent Jackson against San Diego.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Maybe you should think before you talk and stop trying to judge other people over a internet forum...
    Trust me, not my intention at all...

Just felt the need to defend myself because you were judging my football intelligence that I get my data from 'madden' ratings. I almost didn't even post it, because trust me the last thing I want is to be one of those losers that starts a fight over an internet forum.

Its done. We can move on, and enjoy the Rams off-season as a whole. I respect your opinion too.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123