Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Evan Silva's newest Mock has the Rams selecting Mississippi State DT Fletcher Cox

JustinHasAnAxe is offline Registered User

Evan Silva's newest Mock has the Rams selecting Mississippi State DT Fletcher Cox

Silva has a new full first round mock, here are the first ten taken from Rotoworld.

The draft is six days away. Without further ado, here’s our latest mock first round.

1. Indianapolis Colts -- Stanford QB Andrew Luck

The Colts have informed Luck that he'll be their pick, and ESPN's Bill Polian -- the team's former president -- revealed Thursday that owner Jim Irsay made up his mind months ago. "He preferred Andrew because he thought RG3 was a little more of a running quarterback," Polian said. "I think that's a bit of a misnomer. ... (But) Jim had his heart set on Andrew. And that's fine. Great pick."

2. Washington Redskins -- Baylor QB Robert Griffin III

On March 9, Washington sent its first-round picks in 2012, 2013, and 2014, as well as its 2012 second-rounder to St. Louis in exchange for the Redskins' first franchise quarterback since Joe Theismann. "(Griffin) needs technique work and fundamentals," one scout told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel this week. "But ... he's got feet, touch downfield with accuracy, a strong arm. He's charismatic and smart as (expletive)." You'll want RG3 over Luck in fantasy football this year.

3. Minnesota Vikings -- USC OT Matt Kalil

Minnesota has narrowed its choices to Kalil, Morris Claiborne, and Justin Blackmon. The pick, ultimately, is an easy one. Adding Kalil not only gives Minnesota a potentially elite left tackle, he makes the Vikings better at two positions. Incumbent LT Charlie Johnson kicks inside to guard, where he has historically played his best football. With Phil Loadholt at right tackle, John Sullivan at center, and Geoff Schwartz at right guard, Minnesota would finally have a formidable front five.

4. Cleveland Browns -- Alabama RB Trent Richardson

Browns GM Tom Heckert revealed in his pre-draft presser Thursday that Cleveland has already decided on the No. 4 pick. "Right now, we hope to stay there and take a good player," Heckert answered when asked whether he wants to trade down. "I know who that four is going to be if we stay there. We are all on the same page." The Browns do like Ryan Tannehill and may consider bundling the 22nd pick to move back up and land him. But they will take Trent Richardson at 4.

5. Tampa Bay Bucs -- LSU CB Morris Claiborne

The Bucs are a prime candidate to throw the draft's first curveball. They have a new coaching staff, and brand new schemes on both sides of the football. On the pre-draft meeting circuit, Tampa showed more interest in Trent Richardson than any other player. A fine fallback option after missing out on a top target is always to draft the next best guy on the board. There are five elite players in this draft: Luck, Griffin, Kalil, Richardson, and last year’s Thorpe Award winner.

6. St. Louis Rams -- Mississippi State DT Fletcher Cox

Everyone wants to send Blackmon to the Rams. It makes some sense. The Rams need a wide receiver, and he's widely considered the best one available. But this is a deep, deep wideout draft, and Blackmon isn't a top-six overall talent in it. During Jeff Fisher's 17 seasons with the Titans/Oilers organization, the club used first-round picks on defensive linemen more than any other position. Fisher never used a top-15 pick on a receiver. Cox is loaded with upside. He just turned 21.

7. Jacksonville Jaguars -- South Carolina CB Stephon Gilmore

The Jaguars want to trade out of this pick, so much so that they've broadcasted it in their local newspaper. If they don't find a trade partner, GM Gene Smith will select the highest rated player on his board. League execs are extremely high on Gilmore, a prototypically-built corner with solid tape. Like Fisher before him, Smith overlooks Blackmon because this is such a receiver-rich draft.

8. Miami Dolphins -- Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon

The only reason anyone believes Miami would draft Tannehill is because OC Mike Sherman was his college coach. There is no further evidence, and Sherman lacks say in personnel matters. GM Jeff Ireland runs the show, and he is a proponent of second-round quarterbacks. In Ireland's four years with Miami, the Fins have already selected two signal callers in the second round, and he was also on staff for a second-round QB with the Cowboys in 2001 (Quincy Carter). A believer in first-round "singles and doubles" as opposed to swinging for the fences, look for Ireland to once again target a "value pick" quarterback later in the draft and opt for his top-rated player at No. 8.

9. Carolina Panthers -- North Carolina DE Quinton Coples

Entering the 2011 college season, no senior in the nation was rated higher than Coples by team-employed scouting services Blesto and National. Aware of the lofty grades, Coples played his final season not to get hurt. Effort concerns arose, though they've been largely overblown and are even somewhat understandable. He had a ton of money on the line. Coples fits the Panthers because he's a left end who kicks inside in passing situations. Carolina needs help at both end and tackle.

10. Buffalo Bills -- Georgia OT Cordy Glenn

Glenn was one of the first players the Bills hosted for a pre-draft visit. While that isn't necessarily a surefire indication of interest, Glenn's game is eerily similar to former Buddy Nix pick Marcus McNeill's. Both are athletic, physically dominant "waist benders" whose technique is criticized despite exceptional down-to-down play. Glenn would be an upgrade on Erik Pears at right tackle initially, and perhaps move to the left side if Chris Hairston doesn't markedly improve in camp.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Evan Silva's newest Mock has the Rams selecting Mississippi State DT Fletcher Cox

It makes sense in theory...can't wait to see it play out!

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Re: Evan Silva's newest Mock has the Rams selecting Mississippi State DT Fletcher Cox

Cox wood be a good addition but u cant select him relying on the depth of the draft class...wat if there is a run at WR just before the rams pick?

also isnt DT also deep at the top withe 5 quality starters?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

As I noted on my poll thread involving Fletcher Cox and a hypothetical Eagles trade, I'm not buying this for one minute.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Draft history notes are always curious. Coaches decisions are often based on the personnel on the roster and available talent. Belicheat hasn't taken a QB in the first round in forever, he has Tom Brady on his roster. Does that mean he is absolutely opposed to ever using a 1st round pick on a QB? (Ignoring for the moment that Belicheat is opposed to using first round draft picks on any player).

Maybe Fisher hasn't drafted a WR in the top 15 before because he A) Wasn't picking in the top 15, B)If he was, there were no WRs available worthy of the top 15 pick, or C) He didn't need a WR at that time. Or any combination of the three.

I just don't like "X Coach has never drafted a player at that position that high" Well, there are how many different positions on the football field? You have to be a coach for a long time to draft one of every position in the top 15, or even the first round in general. I just think it's a poor indicator of what a team will do in a particular draft.
    THOLTFAN81, SWFCRAM and DE_Ramfan like this.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

I`m sure Fisher is drafting for the future,so no need to look too much into the draft paterns from when he coached another team.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

The funny thing about what every 'expert' is doing, is reading tea leaves, rather than doing any ROSTER research. These guys have zero sources, and are just basing there opinions on the fact that Fisher for a few years drafted D-Line. Ok, so let's say the Rams stayed at #2 overall, and we had Joe Schmo at LT. I guess since Fisher has never drafted a lineman in the first round, we would simply pass over Matt Kalil, and take Fletcher Cox due to his history of drafting D-Line.

These guys are just not smart in my opinion. If they did a little research on the current rosters, they would be able to have a wise opinion. Those Fisher teams never were in the type of dire need the Rams are in for a legitimate game changer. Those Titans teams never had a QB dying for talent on the outside.

Do some real research next time analysts, rather than going back to Jeff Fishers history of drafts with another team, which any FAN can do.
    Bar-bq and shower beers like this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I agree with the comments of others here on fisher's drafting history and its relevance (or lack thereof). However, I dont view it as much of a longshot as many others do that the Rams take Cox. I am not saying it will happen, not predicting it, and dont think it will, but given the need at the position, its not impossible at all. While true that there could be a run on receivers and there might not be one left at the top of the 2nd that we like, it is not necessarily essential that the Rams fix all of their holes in one year and probably isnt feasible in any event since we have too many of them. This is really a talent assessment issue, and the evaluators that count are fisher, snead and the staff. THe question is what our team thinks of blackmon's talent and future, compared to what they think of other players in the draft, balancing team need and the depth of the draft at various spots. No guarantees of course. If we trade back, to me, cox is one of three potential targets (along with Floyd and my choice, decastro).

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    mde8352gorams likes this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    I just think it's a poor indicator of what a team will do in a particular draft.
    It's a poor indicator but it can show a weighting tendency. In this case, it's a non factor. Fisher has drafted a WR in the first round so whether it's in the teens or #6, doesn't look relevant.

One thing to note IMO that is a negative indicator is when the writers from the Rams all have the save opinion, it's because they've been fed that opinion. Bernie and Jim Thomas seem to give substantial weight to the voices of insiders who give them access. Bernie is the absolute worst with that. People know the rumors being leaked are all junk but the people leaking it are the writers who've been given insider access for a price.

Last year it was Luiget and Fairly (who the Rams weren't so high on in reality).

It should also be noted that if he did at least some research into Fisher's draft history, you discover he has twice used 1st round picks on WRs, including Dyson at #16 (Gee, now I wonder why he said Fisher hasn't drafted a WR in the top 15 before...) and Britt at #30.

Fisher has picked in the top 15 five times so far. He drafted Pacman Jones at #6 overall in 2005 over stud WRs Troy Williamson (Vikings) and Mike Williams (Det), the receivers available at #6 who also went in the top 15. Maybe Fischer had done some research on them and discovered they weren't very good at all.

There was Vince Young, #3 overall, 2006. We all know who made that pick, and it wasn't Fisher.

Albert Haynesworth at #15 overall in 2002, a very weak WR year, very very weak.

Eddie George, #14 overall, 1996, when the Rams wisely drafted Kennison over Marvin Harrison, oops. Can't say Fisher made a bad choice here though either.

Steve McNair, #3 overall, 1995. Franchise QB.

I still object to using draft history, but looking at his history I think reinforces my points even more. Teams don't take a player just for the sake of taking one at his position, and Fisher is no exception. If he thinks Blackmon is the best player for his team at #6, he will support using the pick on him, if he doesn't, he won't. But he won't take a DT just because he has a hard stance against using picks on WRs, and prefers them on the DL.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

It is an interesting concept, and one that's gotten some traction on some of the shows I've been watching.

Think of it this way, if you're looking for a bit more height than Blackmon(just a random stat), and like what you see from Randle, Hill, or Jeffery, why not go after the tackle? I have a feeling that there will be more likely a run on tackles at the back end of the first round than WR's. Bengals, Broncos, Steelers, Pats(x2), and GB all could possibly take a DT in the 20's. Four will go in the first, a fifth possibly will, no matter what we do. WR's could also see a run, but I only see five picks at the bottom that might take a WR, (Browns, Pats(x2), Giants, Texans). I only see four WR's max coming out on day one., and without us grabbing Blackmon, I see it might be only three as we would push the pressure on taking one down.

So, would you be more happy with a choice of Blackmon and Ta'amu/Still/Thompson or Cox and Randle/Sanu/Hill/Jeffery?
    I believe!

diehard99 is offline Registered User

Defense!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by diehard99 View Post
    Defense!!!!!!!
    Haven't you ever heard the saying that the best defense is a good offense

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post

So, would you be more happy with a choice of Blackmon and Ta'amu/Still/Thompson or Cox and Randle/Sanu/Hill/Jeffery?
    Blackmon w DT

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Fletcher Cox is emerging as a trendy mock draft pick for the Rams in the past week or so for guys who want to do something different. I certainly think it's a possibility, but I don't think it's particularly likely.

One thing to keep in mind is that Rotoworld has been very down on Blackmon through this entire draft process, so having the Rams pass on him so that he can "fall" isn't surprising. The reasoning is kind of strange though; I'm guessing more people view Blackmon as a "top six talent" in this class than Cox, and I say that as a guy who likes Cox as a prospect.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast