Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Flippin' Ram
  • 1 Post By Nick

Thread: Evans at 13?

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Evans at 13?

One of the scenarios I am seeing here and other mocks is one of the OTs early and Mike Evans at 13(which I be very happy with). From watching the coverage it seems Evans REALLY stood out, almost more then/if not the same as Watkins. So does that take him away from pick 13 range? I remember a few yrs back we were slotted to get Juilo Jones around the same area before the combine, then after shot all the way up. If not him at 13 I be happy with a superior DB, just be cool to have that option. Not to say we wouldn't move up some to get him like Tavon Last yr. What say you?

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Evans at 13?

I'd be happy with Mike Evans but that would mean Snisher's patience is running thin with Quick's progress.
    shower beers likes this.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

Well lets say Quick catches(no pun intended)on and like Vincent Jackson really turns it up during his third yr; which would make sense given Quick's small school upbringing and transition to the league. Then it would be Quick on one side Evens on the other with Austin in the slot. Then use Bailey to switch out the other two for different formations, unless obviously its a 4 receiver set. Probably a little rose colored glasses there, but never know :-)

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I could see Evans going to Buffalo or Detroit at this point, with Watkins likely not making it out of the Top 7. Fortunately, this receiver class is deep enough that, even if the Rams miss on Evans and don't see good value for a receiver @ 13, they could either (1) trade down or (2) still get a very good prospect in the second round.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I could see Evans going to Buffalo or Detroit at this point, with Watkins likely not making it out of the Top 7. Fortunately, this receiver class is deep enough that, even if the Rams miss on Evans and don't see good value for a receiver @ 13, they could either (1) trade down or (2) still get a very good prospect in the second round.
    If the above scenario plays out and Watkins and Evans are gone, who would you like to see the Rams take a look at in the 2nd round, Nick?
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    The backhanded compliments about Austin Davis are amusing.

demiurge is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    If the above scenario plays out and Watkins and Evans are gone, who would you like to see the Rams take a look at in the 2nd round, Nick?

With reports out of the combine coming out that Evans ran much faster than expected, I think there's a pretty good chance he wouldn't be there at #13.

But even with my outlook that we are OK at WR and just need to give these kids time to grow up, I'd be fine with Evans at 13. He's got a lot of talent and would do nothing but help.

That being said, my first concern is making sure our OLine is solid (and that could go lots of different ways right now due to the vagaries of the salary cap and free agency) and personally I'd value another DB/S higher than WR right now.

But if Evans is there at #13 I would be fine with us taking him. 40 numbers tend to be over rated except for WR and DB, and there it often makes a big difference in draft status.

demiurge is offline Registered User

The other thought I keep hearing is this is a really deep class at WR. Snead might think there's more value in the 2nd-3rd rounds.

As Quick seemed to be the personal choice of both Fisher and Snead (IIRC Fisher personally scouted him), I think they will give him 1 more year.

richtree is offline Registered User

I like Evans or Coleman at 13 assuming we get a Olineman via #2 (or trade down before 13).....

I really think our Safety and Center (if cut Jones) should be address in Free Agency with veterans.

We have no vetern leadership in our secondary and could really benefit from a stong, vet persona back there....

Also, Center needs a personality that can work with Sam and not worry about learning snap counts, an offense, and protection / defense formations....

WRs can impact the game snap #1 of the season with guys like Watkins, Coleman and Evans....

I think Coleman is firmly above Benjamin in the eyes of most scouts....I know people won't agree but you will see come draft day.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Flippin' Ram View Post
    I'd be happy with Mike Evans but that would mean Snisher's patience is running thin with Quick's progress.

Snisher. I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    It's hard to say what order these receivers come off the board after Watkins and Evans. But three guys with size that I like in the second round are Allen Robinson, Jordan Matthews, and Brandon Coleman.
    ramsbruce likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

I was hoping for the dream of: Matthews at 2 and Evans at 13. Offense now fully equipped! With Evans blowing up at the combine (knew this would happen) there is now virtually no chance he is there at 13. My ideal scenario would now see the Rams trade with ATL...and taking Evans at 6 and Lewan at 13. I'm sure they'll find a way to screw that up too!
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    I was hoping for the dream of: Matthews at 2 and Evans at 13. Offense now fully equipped! With Evans blowing up at the combine (knew this would happen) there is now virtually no chance he is there at 13. My ideal scenario would now see the Rams trade with ATL...and taking Evans at 6 and Lewan at 13. I'm sure they'll find a way to screw that up too!
    I think Lewan has just as good a chance of not being there as Evans. For instance, I have Lewan penciled in to Buffalo @ 9 in my upcoming mock. I certainly have a hard time seeing him make it by Tennessee @ 11, what with RT David Stewart likely being cut this offseason.

So being such a deep draft and a big drop off after the top two or three safties, maybe it should be something like 2 Robinson/Matthews(if there isn't a trade down), 13 Joyner, and in 2nd round one of the BPA WRs.