• 1 Post By Azul e Oro

Thread: Ex-Bucs GM: Teddy Bridgewater's stock in decline before pro day

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Ex-Bucs GM: Teddy Bridgewater's stock in decline before pro day

Ex-Bucs GM: Teddy Bridgewater's stock in decline before pro day
    By Daniel Kim NFL.com
    Published: April 19, 2014 at 12:36 p.m.
    Updated: April 19, 2014 at 02:26 p.m.

Teddy Bridgewater's fall from potential No. 1 overall pick to possibly dropping out of the first round can seemingly be traced back to one bad day -- March 17, when his "average at best" pro day workout left several observers underwhelmed.

Former Tampa Bay Buccaneers general manager Mark Dominik, who now serves as an analyst for ESPN, says he would trace it back even further. Appearing on ESPN's "NFL Insiders," Dominik pointed to Bridgewater's tape at Louisville and said he began questioning Bridgewater's status as a potential franchise quarterback last year.

"There were things you saw on tape when you watched him," said Dominik, who was Bucs GM from 2009-13. "Something that scouts internally, we talked about it in Tampa with Teddy Bridgewater last year. Is he really the premiere quarterback? I like the young man, I think he's a quality individual, he's got character and leadership and those things. But this is a quarterback, and you're judged by what quarterback you draft, and I think Teddy Bridgewater might not have all the pieces you're looking for."

Dominik said Bridgewater's lack of size is a particular concern. Bridgewater was measured at 6-foot-2, 214 pounds, at the NFL Scouting Combine, and several analysts wonder if he is durable enough to hold up in the NFL.

Dominik's remarks echoed what former Cleveland Browns GM Phil Savage expressed about Bridgewater earlier this week.

"I think the media has Teddy Bridgewater in the top 10, but around league circles he's more like a late first, early second-round pick," Savage said Thursday on SiriusXM NFL Radio.

Against the grain, NFL Media analysts Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks have been holding firm in their evaluations of Bridgewater. Both have him as their No. 1-rated quarterback in the draft.

The Jacksonville Jaguars, who have the No. 3 overall pick, had enough interest in Bridgewater to schedule a second pre-draft visit with him Saturday, although NFL Media analyst Charles Davis suggests the Jaguars should get creative and target him with a trade up later in the first round rather than take him at No. 3.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Ex-Bucs GM: Teddy Bridgewater's stock in decline before pro day

They can keep telling themselves that, But Bridgewater is as a good a QB prospect as this class has. If he falls to the 2nd round, some team is going to get a serious bargain.
    FestusRam likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Hard to believe that a guy who was widely put at the No. 1 overall spot the entire year from the draftniks is now being ripped apart, partially for some serious bad advise on changing his game up at the pro day but still. Can't believe he is all of a sudden such a dud.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I think Teddy is an "ELITE" prospect. I would have no qualms taking him in round 2. Let Bridgewater sit for a year and then let him and Sam duel it out.

THE DREAM TEAM

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I think Teddy is an "ELITE" prospect. I would have no qualms taking him in round 2. Let Bridgewater sit for a year and then let him and Sam duel it out.
    Elite's kind of a stretch, but I believe he'll pan out whichever team chooses him (unless it's the Browns) The media's trying to test these GMs to create more drama so it'll add revenue and publicity. We live in an era where flashiness and hype catches all the attention. By the end of the day, FOs know better than the media and will stay put to their draft plans.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I doubt there would be any dueling between the two, seeing that Bradford is going to win the comeback player of the year award.
    Nick and sosa39rams like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    I doubt there would be any dueling between the two, seeing that Bradford is going to win the comeback player of the year award.
    Hah... I really hope so!

THE DREAM TEAM

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Two ex-GMs of teams that have been mismanaged almost as badly as the Rams were....hmmmmmmm
    HUbison likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post

kman is offline Registered User

ive been saying for a longtime, I don't understand the hype on this kid..he doesn't have a strong arm, can t throw a spiral if his life depended on it, and cant run for crap either..

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Looking more and more like a Bortles/Manziel for the top QB race. Smaller supply higher demand which should bode well in our trading hopes.

Randart is offline Registered User

I think there is allot to like about Teddy B. one almost everyone says he is sharp on the board and at reading a play. That to me is huge upside, two his recievers speak well of him without hesitations. He may have some physical limitations but I believe some of that will come along with strength training and growth at the NFL level. He could be a really special player in a couple of years. Not sure he is ready to start as most of these youngsters are not. But will be interesting to see where he is two or three years down the road.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I watched Teddy 4x last year. In 3 of those he underwhelmed me.
    He had great stats in the Rutgers game but if you watched it, he wasn't great.

QB is the hardest position to project players. So often teams rank based upon physical stature, not sure it's even relevant anymore.

Claiming a player is NFL ready means he's got a 6 month head start. Considering you hope the QB has a 10 year career, not really a major factor IMO.