Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

Re: The Exception Option:

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I certainly would be interested in Dorsey at the right price, but I don't expect that a deal will materialize.

That said, there is a lot of depth at DT in this draft. Most mocks have five going in the first round alone (Suh, McCoy, D.Williams, Odrick, Price). It is certainly possible that one or two of those guys could fall to the top of Round 2.

In Round 2-3, one guy who intrigues me is Lamarr Houston from Texas. He has good size (6'2, 305), quickness (4.85 in 40) and production (68 tackles/22 TFL/8.0 sacks)
    I don't think I could pass on Golden Tate in the 2nd round. And if the Rams had Bradford, I don't think they could pass on Tate either. He's perfect for a west coast system. Too much for defenses to try to cover: Jackson, Avery, Tate, Gibson... we'll spread them thin.

Why do you think that the rams wouldn't trade for Dorsey? And what do you see in Lamarr Houston?

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    I dunno....maybe its the whole getting lit up up the center by opposing offenses and the inability to generate and/or sustain a working pass rush with our Front Four thing.
    Don't know how anyone can argue with this. Opposing QB's with all day to pick apart the back seven and the continual breakdowns in run defense up the gut are both things that need to be addressed in a major way. Being able to grab an elite talent at DT would benefit the entire defense. As the mantra goes, it all starts up front.

thickandthin is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    If we pass on Suh and take Bradford it seems DT will not be selected in round 2 .

WR, DE, CB, OT, TE -- all seem more likely.

I believe OLB can be filed in the forth round.

so if I had to guess right now.

round 1 QB = round 2 DE/WR
    IDK man we need to go TE in round 2, and WR later or not at all. We DO NOT need another young WR this year.

thickandthin is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Don't know how anyone can argue with this. Opposing QB's with all day to pick apart the back seven and the continual breakdowns in run defense up the gut are both things that need to be addressed in a major way. Being able to grab an elite talent at DT would benefit the entire defense. As the mantra goes, it all starts up front.
    Fred Robbins and a healthy (this is key HEALTHY) Carricker will fix the pressure problems.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by thickandthin View Post
    Fred Robbins and a healthy (this is key HEALTHY) Carricker will fix the pressure problems.
    Guess we'll see if Spags and Devaney agree with you.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

So what do we do when Robbins retires in a year or two and if Carriker does not pan out, as is likely at this point?

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    I dont know who else the Rams would target other than Glen Dorsey.
    Maybe another DT prospect in the draft? There's been nothing beside fan speculation to link the Rams and Dorsey in a trade, and there are certainly a number of intriguing options at DT in this year's rookie pool. Take a look at some of the candidates if you don't know who else the Rams may target; they could get lucky and have one of the top five slip to them in the second round. If the Rams do pass on a DT in the first and consider it in the second, I think Brian Price would be a very good option. I just don't see him being there.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    With all the holes on this defense, why is a premier DT considered such a massive requirement? What if Spags looks at Scott as a premier prospect who is better than anyone they could find in round 2 or beyond?

To me, this team needs a DE and SLB more than they need a DT. They have Scott, Ryan, Carriker, Robbins and if they add another person, one of those is likely to go. Having said this, T. Cody may fall to the Rams in the 2nd round.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    I agree 100%, unless their name is Suh or McCoy, I would be just fine in improving areas of our team other than DT.

Of course I'm still holding out for Carriker....
    I don't know if I'd say it's a massive requirement, but I do believe it's a fairly significant hole on this team right now. Ryan is serviceable as a nose tackle, but the Rams have nothing beside him, as evident by the revolving door of options they tried in the line-up. Carriker hasn't shown he can be counted on to stay on the field, let alone be a solid contributor. Robbins got benched last year on a regressing Giants defense; I think expectations regarding his contributions should be rather tempered. Also, I think the chances of Spags viewing Scott - the 12th DT picked in last year's draft - as being better than any DT available after round two of this year's draft, generally considered to be a strong DL class, is unlikely to say the least.

Furthermore, I'm not sure that DE is that much more of a need than DT. They essentially have one of each in Long and Ryan, though I think Long is the better player with better upside. They need another DE opposite of Long, and they need another DT next to Ryan. DE carries the higher positional value, so maybe you give it the edge. But how many times have the Rams gotten some decent pressure off the edge only to have the QB step up into the pocket where no pressure is threatening him? Having someone capable of collapsing the pocket from the interior line, thus limiting opposing quarterbacks from stepping up to avoid the outside rush, would be a big benefit to this defense. Not to mention what it's going to do to our run D as well.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    With all the holes on this defense, why is a premier DT considered such a massive requirement? What if Spags looks at Scott as a premier prospect who is better than anyone they could find in round 2 or beyond?

To me, this team needs a DE and SLB more than they need a DT. They have Scott, Ryan, Carriker, Robbins and if they add another person, one of those is likely to go. Having said this, T. Cody may fall to the Rams in the 2nd round.
    Thank you.. we have some promising DTs on the roster. Spags didn't have any true premier DTs on the roster when he won the SB with NYG. We need an impact pass rusher across from Long like Everson Griffen or Carlos Dunlap.

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

IDK man we need to go TE in round 2, and WR later or not at all. We DO NOT need another young WR this year.
    In the event that we draft Bradford, I would love to pick up Gresham in round 2. What better to reduce the learning curve for a rookie QB than to give him his college TE? Gresham grades out as a 1st round pick anyway and gives a dynamic pass-catching player at a position of need. I realize he has a bit of an injury history but it doesnt bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by smizzhfx View Post
    Thank you.. we have some promising DTs on the roster. Spags didn't have any true premier DTs on the roster when he won the SB with NYG. We need an impact pass rusher across from Long like Everson Griffen or Carlos Dunlap.
    These same "promising DTs" got killed on the field last season in all 4 quarters. My confidence in them is tepid at best. We had a mildly resurgent Little and an improving Long operating as bookends last year, and got a whole lot less out of the line than you would think with that combination. It seems that "the center is weak, and needs to be upgraded" would be a reasonable conclusion based on that evidence.

thermobee is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHasAnAxe View Post
    I might be the only person in the world who doesnt see wr as a big need. Certainly not worthy of a round two pick.
    Dont worry brah, I got your back. I completely agree that WR and DT is not an immediate need. Coaches have young, hard working players there that can more than step up and perform.

dave626 is offline Registered User
    Blog Entries

Why would the chiefs part with Dorsey, hes been solid (not great) but solid even after they changed his position. More importantly what would you give up to get him ? Carriker ? and some draft picks? I think we need our draft picks, and for all we know Carriker could still prove to be a good player. We dont know because he hasnt played enough.

We've already got 6 DTs on the roster and some would argue that what we have now could turn into a pretty decent rotation, I dont think the DT is as high a priority as some would like it to be so they can continue to wave the Suh flag. Suh could be great, but hes not going to score TDs and thats what we need, bottom line.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think defensive line is still a glaring need. The problem is that I don't know if just one guy solves it. Jacksonville had a great pair of defensive tackles in John Henderson and Marcus Stroud for a while there, but as a team they still had problems getting to the quarterback often enough because their defensive ends were so lackluster.

A defensive tackle or defensive end could be a major upgrade to the defense, but there is no single position as important to the success of the defense as the quarterback position is to the success of the offense.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    These same "promising DTs" got killed on the field last season in all 4 quarters.
    Carriker was on IR, Robbins wasn't on the team and Scott played a very limited amount of time. Yet all 4 were killed on the field?

Sorry. Carriker literally was killed (again) as opposed to the metaphorical killing I implied, and if Scott wasn't getting playing time in the charnel house of injured suck we fielded, one can only conclude that he was worse than any other option we trotted out. Seriously...on the 2009 Rams if you were actually good or promising, you would have gotten serious playing time.

Robbins is not a factor because Robbins will not be here in two years. He is not a long or medium term fix to anything. He is a short term bandage to the inch deep gash we hewed in our leg.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast