Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: Extra Draft Picks for Rams?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Extra Draft Picks for Rams?

In addition to the second pick in the draft, the Rams, I believe, have an extra 7th round pick from the Josh Gordy trade.

Will they also be in line to receive compensatory selections?

The compensatory pick rule is not exactly crystal clear, but it is based upon an assessment of a teams' net loss/gain in the prior year of free agency.

In 2013, the Rams lost Steven Jackson, Danny Amendola, Craig Dahl, Brad Fletcher, Rob Turner and Brandon Gibson, and gained Jake Long, Jared Cook, Will Witherspoon and Matt Giordano. In terms of overall value, I'd say it was pretty close, and I would not expect the Rams to obtain more than an extra 6th or 7th round pick as a compensatory selection.

Still, even if the Rams only obtain an extra 7th round pick, that's not a bad thing. We've had success with picks in the last round (i.e. Daryl Richardson) as well as UFAs, so there's always a chance for a diamond in the rough.
    KoaKoi and Randart like this.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Re: Extra Draft Picks for Rams?

Would love to see the Rams get an extra 6th or 7th. Lots of talent still swirling around at that point. Rams have lately seemed to pull in a lot of undrafted FA's after the draft too... if nothing else, an extra 7th would allow them to ensure the capture of someone they want to get a longer look at in training camp

Fortuninerhater is online now Registered User

Yeah, Steven Jackson would pick this past year to break his string of 1,000 yard rushing seasons. And Amendola would be himself again. Didn't hear a peep out of Brandon Gibson all year. Must've gotten hurt early. At least Bradley Fletcher played pretty well for the Eagles, but yeah you're right, don't expect much if anything at all on that front.

And I could've sworn Gordy was traded for a 6th rounder, but I could be wrong.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

The Rams made Jackson a free agent, before he would have been one, so he may not count on t he lost side.

However, the big signings they made will dwarf what they lost, and t hus, no comp picks again.
    Barry Waller

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    The Rams made Jackson a free agent, before he would have been one, so he may not count on t he lost side.

However, the big signings they made will dwarf what they lost, and t hus, no comp picks again.
    Which I think is a good thing and another reason why I respect what Fisher and Snead have been doing.
    Semper Fi!

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

Still, even if the Rams only obtain an extra 7th round pick, that's not a bad thing. We've had success with picks in the last round (i.e. Daryl Richardson) as well as UFAs, so there's always a chance for a diamond in the rough.
    And we also used late round draft picks as ammo to move up and acquire one of the most productive rookies this year.

With some extra picks, even 6th and 7th rounders, Fisher and Snead have proven they can receive excellent value out of them.