Rambos is offline Registered User

FA 2006 short list

No order, do we resign adam?

Michael David Smith / FootballOutsiders.com

Chris Hovan, defensive tackle, Buccaneers
    Hovan has had an up-and-down career. When Minnesota drafted him, he was hailed as the successor to John Randle as a dominant pass rusher from the inside. He played well against the pass and struggled against the run, and, like all tackles who fit that description, he got too much credit from the people who judge defensive linemen based solely on sacks. But last season everyone in Minnesota seemed to blame Hovan for the Vikings' defensive struggles, and Minnesota didn't want him around anymore.

Hovan made a very smart move by signing a one-year contract with Tampa Bay. He has played very well against the run, curtailing his tendency to sell out against the pass and therefore make himself susceptible to draws up the middle. Although Hovan almost always plays tackle, he has all the skills necessary to play end, especially in the 3-4, and some team looking for a player who can move all over its defensive line would be wise to sign him.

Adam Archuleta, strong safety, Rams

In terms of pure athleticism, very few players can match up with Archuleta. And because he's known as a workout freak, there's no chance of him signing a big contract, becoming complacent, and showing up to camp out of shape, as some free agents have.
    On the other hand, Archuleta has been inconsistent on the field. For all his speed, there are times when slower tight ends get open against him. And he whiffed on a tackle on Maurice Hicks' long touchdown run against the Rams. Archuleta was a much better fit in the Lovie Smith defense, which encourages safeties to aggressively attack the ballcarrier, than he is in the Joe Vitt defense, which encourages safeties to read and react. If a team with the right scheme signs him, it would be a good move, but he's not a player any team should sign if it means making major roster moves to clear cap room.

Steve Hutchinson, guard, Seahawks
    Last year, Seattle's front office did something many analysts said was impossible: It got tackle Walter Jones and quarterback Matt Hasselbeck signed to long-term deals in time to use the franchise tag on Shaun Alexander. This year Alexander's contract guarantees that he won't be given the franchise tag, which means Seattle likely will use it on Hutchinson.
    But if Seattle decides that it can't afford to keep both Alexander and Hutchinson, Alexander is the guy they should say goodbye to. As well as Alexander has played this year, the strength of the Seahawks is the offensive line, and unlike running backs, offensive linemen often don't begin to decine until their mid 30s. Seattle would be much better off next year with Hutchinson blocking for a lesser running back than they would be with Alexander running behind a lesser line.
    If Hutchinson leaves, the team that signs him will get one of the best straight-ahead blockers in football. He has great technique and great power. At 28, Hutchinson is in his prime, and even if he gets a contract that makes him the highest-paid guard in the league, signing him would be a wise investment

Julian Peterson, linebacker, *****
    He's only 27, but Peterson seems older than that, perhaps because he has suffered a torn Achilles tendon and is noticeably slower than he was as a rookie. Even if his pure speed is permanently diminished, Peterson is a good fit in the 3-4 that Mike Nolan has imported in San Francisco. Any 3-4 team looking for a linebacker should consider him.
    However, reports have suggested that Peterson will seek a contract that makes him among the league's highest-paid linebackers, and any team that pays him that much is making a mistake. There was a time when Peterson had the power to take on tackles as a pass rusher and the speed to drop into coverage and keep up with running backs. That time has passed. Peterson still sometimes drops into deep coverage, but he doesn't have the great closing speed he once had. Peterson isn't a bad player, but the team that signs him probably will overpay for him.

Kevin Shaffer, offensive tackle, Falcons
    Shaffer weighs only 290 pounds, and he plays for Atlanta offensive line coach Alex Gibbs, who has a reputation for being able to teach superior (and, some say, dirty) techniques to undersized players. But that doesn't mean Shaffer thrives only because Atlanta is the right place for him. Pay close attention to Shaffer the next time you watch the Falcons and you'll notice how quickly he gets out of his stance and to the man he needs to block. Any offensive line coach who would rather have a 340-pound mauler than Shaffer is making a serious mistake. The team that signs him will have made a major addition to its offense.

Kyle Vanden Bosch, defensive end, Titans
    In four years with the Arizona Cardinals, Vanden Bosch did nothing but nurse his perpetual knee injuries. Now that he's healthy, he's been one of the best ends in the league, playing for a minimum-salary contract for the Titans. But he's much better as a pass rusher than he is as a run stopper, which means he won't be the right fit in every defensive scheme. That fact and his two previous ACL tears should limit the interest of most front offices. Tennessee got him for one season at a bargain price, but there's a good chance that the next team that signs him will overpay for him. He deserves a heavy raise, but he doesn't deserve a salary that would make him among the highest-paid defensive ends in the league.

Kendrick Clancy, defensive tackle, Giants
    With Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora at end for the Giants, not many people in New York have paid attention to the importance of Clancy to the defensive line. After playing five years in Pittsburgh, Clancy signed a one-year contract with the Giants this year and has been a very disruptive presence in the middle. Against the Chiefs, Clancy had a great play on a second-and-1 run by Tony Richardson, shoving Kansas City center Casey Wiegmann backward and into Richardson's path to stuff the play.
    The Clancy signing was a big reason for the major improvement in the Giants' run defense, but he probably won't get any huge contract offers. Why? He's a one-dimensional player who registered his first career sack this season. If he were a one-dimensional player at the other extreme, terrorizing opposing quarterbacks but leaving big holes for opposing running backs, some team would give him a lot of money. Instead, some team will get a very good player at a reasonable price.

Corey Chavous, strong safety, Vikings
    Chavous might be the smartest player in the NFL. He always seems to know the tendency of opposing receivers, which is why Minnesota uses him as something of a third cornerback, often engaging in man-to-man coverage on wide receivers.
    However, Chavous turns 30 in January and looks like he's slowing down. He's also not great in run support. A team with a young secondary would be wise to bring Chavous on board as something of a coach on the field, but a team that needs a safety who can make plays all over the field should look elsewhere.

LeCharles Bentley, center, Saints
    No one has noticed because, well, he's playing for the Saints, but LeCharles Bentley has had an excellent season. Bentley has a rare combination of power when taking on huge nose tackles and quickness when he needs to get up to the next level to block a middle linebacker. The Saints are 17th in Football Outsiders' adjusted line yards stat, which attempts to separate running backs from the offensive line. But they rank much higher, eighth to be exact, on runs up the middle.
    There has been some talk that the league could allow the Saints to spend more money in 2006 to help make up for their status as the NFL's nomads. If that happens, they'd be wise to use as much of that money as necessary to keep Bentley around. New Orleans will most likely groom a new quarterback of the future next season, and if it does, the best protection that new quarterback could have would be Bentley keeping the up-the-gut pass rush away from him.

Hunter Hillenmeyer, linebacker, Bears
    I call it the Az Hakim syndrome: A team will overpay for a player who has a supporting role on a great unit. In 2002, it was the Lions giving Hakim a $5 million signing bonus, forgetting that Hakim looked good mostly because he had NFL MVP Kurt Warner throwing him passes, and Pro Bowl receivers Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce drawing coverage away from him. Hakim never turned into the No. 1 receiver the Lions thought he would become. Some team will do the same with Hillenmeyer, giving him more money than he's worth because of a foolish assumption that any player on the Bears' defense must be great. Hillenmeyer has limited range in coverage and misses too many tackles against the run. The Bears likely won't offer him a lot of money, and any team that does is making a mistake.

bruce_wannabe Guest

Re: FA 2006 short list

I Love It The Az Hakim Syndrome./... Lol

Douggy is offline Registered User

Hutchinson and Bentley would top my list. Let's see a dominant O-line once again, and use the draft on D!

chiguy is offline Registered User

Hutchinson will be too pricey for us. Bentley or Clancy would be great additions at the right price. I'd be interested in Chavous too if we didn't have to overpay.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Hutchinson will get tagged. They will not let him walk, they will find a way. However, even at top dollar, he is worth the investment. Highest probability of performance you can buy and a truly dominant guy. entering his prime.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

I'm saying I don't think we'll have the cap room to do it with all the holes on defense, not that he wouldn't be worth it.

bruce_wannabe Guest

i honestly really dont think we need any lineman... terrell and barron will all be one yyear older and wiser plus timmermen will finally be healthy and mcollum will come back and produce.. saipia is a capable backup and incognito is a stud

We don't know if Incognito will manage to not kill anyone in his first year, let alone whether he'll be a decent pro or not. Terrell and Barron looked OK at times, but they also looked not so good at times. Our line has been weak for about three years now, so I'm not sure we can just assume all these guys will pan out and move forward. So if you can get a guy like Hutchinson for the right price, you take him. But the price won't be right, especially given our defensive needs, and we'll pass.

What we should do, though, is offer him a little bit more than what his market value is and force the Seahawks to match.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I think we need to be very aggressive in trying to bring in either LeCharles Bentley or Steve Hutchinson, should either of them hit the market.

My policy is this - you can sit here and say "So-and-so will improve so we don't need to upgrade there," but I have to believe that if you have the chance to do it, you do it anyways. The worst thing you have is great depth, which is never a bad thing.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

DaRamsBaby is offline Registered User

i say we go defense and pick up chavous cause we do need another addition for defense for anything to work

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    I think we need to be very aggressive in trying to bring in either LeCharles Bentley or Steve Hutchinson, should either of them hit the market.

My policy is this - you can sit here and say "So-and-so will improve so we don't need to upgrade there," but I have to believe that if you have the chance to do it, you do it anyways. The worst thing you have is great depth, which is never a bad thing.
    I think if the Rams can add one more solid lineman, whether it be a center or guard, they will have a potentially great offensive line, assuming Incognito can get in the mix. Even with our defensive worries, there will be changes on the offensive side, and upgrading our line is second only to the TE problem. If the cap allows, they should sign one lineman, a solid tight end, and go all defense from there. Hutchinson and LeCharles would both be huge additions.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Of that list, I'd look for LeCharles first. I think he'd be affordable, and having just turned 26 he could be a long-term solution. I think the line will start looking a lot better once they've had more time to get used to playing with the same guys at the same positions longer.

If somehow Seattle doesn't sign Hutchinson, it's going to mean that he's demanding a king's ransom, and we'd probably still be bidding against other teams, so I don't really see that panning out. Clancy sounds like a good addition from that description, but I have to admit I'm not that familiar with him.