tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

FA and Draft will determine where Spoon plays next year

I read a report during the season that said Spoon will be moving outside after this season, however Haslett recently said he wants to keep Spoon in the middle.

The way i see it is if we can make a push for a big name FA LB like Adalius Thomas or Lance Briggs then dont be surprised to see Spoon stay in the middle and the Rams use their first rounder on a D-Lineman or Safety.

If we dont sign a starting LB in FA, and maybe get some DL then its likely you will see us draft LB or S. However the LB we pick will determine where Spoon is played. If we draft Patrick Willis i wouldnt be surprised if the Rams move Spoon to his natural outside position and keep Willis at his natural spot. If we draft a OLB then Spoon will stay in the middle. Spoon as a veteran would be the one to move around rather then a rookie who would likely take longer to adapt.

Basically i dont think the Rams or Spoon will really know what is going to happen until the draft and FA is over.

Also:

We will sign AND draft some DL help.

I see us taking a safety in the first two round to compete with Chavous and maybe start later in the season.

Country is offline Registered User

Re: FA and Draft will determine where Spoon plays next year

I see the Rams spending the money and 1st round pick on building a winning Dl. What the Rams need is a big run stuffing MLB to play on first and second down. They do not need a big money three down LB, they already have two in Spoon and 50. These type of players can be found in the 2nd round.

David Harris from Michigan is 6'2" 252lbs. and would be aperfect candidate to come in and stuff the run on 1st and 2nd down and he would be available in the 2nd round.

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

I'm sorry but there is no way we will take a safety in the first round, nor do I want one, I understand that chavous is getting old, but some of you talk like he doesn't do anything, 117 tackles? That's nothing? Its not his fault the dline stinks, we have bartell AND jerome carter who can backup chavous or start later on
    Built RAM tough

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ramsplaya16 View Post
    we have bartell AND jerome carter who can backup chavous or start later on
    After a strong finish to the season, I would be shocked if Bartell's future is at anything other than corner. As for Carter, I still don't think we've seen enough of him to feel good about him as our future starting SS.

Not saying these are reasons to draft a safety early, but I don't think the depth is as strong as you make it sound.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamsDynasty is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsplaya16 View Post
    I'm sorry but there is no way we will take a safety in the first round, nor do I want one, I understand that chavous is getting old, but some of you talk like he doesn't do anything, 117 tackles? That's nothing? Its not his fault the dline stinks, we have bartell AND jerome carter who can backup chavous or start later on
    I have to aggree here. Is Chavous a bell cow game changer at safety or the long term answer, NO. Is Chavous the reason heck even one of the top 7 reasons why our defense suffers? I don't think so. I see Chavous just like Fakir Brown. Not much upside left but totally adequate, IF the major issues on the defense get addressed. Even the 'great' defenses had role players in it. The fatal flaws to be addressed are in the front 7. First and formost two monster DT's and a pass rush monster at DE and a complimentary Linebacker. Yes we can upgrade the safety (and/or the corner opposite Tye Hill) BUT those are more secondary needs as oppossed to primary ones. If addressed on the second day of the draft or would value free agents, fine, but the primary focus of the free agency $$$'s and first day of the draft have to be on the front 7.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Ok lets say Free Agency Plays out like this:

Sign: Lance Briggs or Napoleon Harris
    Sign: Terrel Sands

Let go of Curtis

If that happens and come draft day at pick 13 Willis, Branch, Adams, and Landry are gone, would you seriously consider drafting Ginn Jr. if you were St. Louis?
    RamsFan16

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    Ok lets say Free Agency Plays out like this:

Sign: Lance Briggs or Napoleon Harris
    Sign: Terrel Sands

Let go of Curtis

If that happens and come draft day at pick 13 Willis, Branch, Adams, and Landry are gone, would you seriously consider drafting Ginn Jr. if you were St. Louis?
    Yes, purely because of the massive upside and retun-man potential. He's a big reason why Troy Smith had such a great year, not to take anything away from Smith.

Unless someone else's stock takes a major shot to the arm.

chiguy is offline Registered User

I wouldn't cry about Ted Ginn Jr. being drafted by the Rams.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

i feel that we are a couple of defensive players away from being superbowl bound.

As such, i doubt i would be happy on the Rams spending a first round pick on an offensive player when we can draft pretty much any position on defense and have it be an upgrade over what we have

it will depend on FA of course, but i still think defense is the only way to go