Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Richbert88
  • 2 Post By sosa39rams
  • 2 Post By RamsSB99
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams

Thread: FA OT alternatives

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

FA OT alternatives

Read this on another site, so my apologies. I am posting here because, as is often the case with articles of this nature on this 'other' site, I need some context and don't want to expose myself to their acct parameters, therefore I'd rather ask The Clan then post a comment there. So, if someone has grades for the RAMs 2012 OTs, I'd love to see them, without paying of course.

Sifting Through the Free Agent Options at Tackle

By EddieP on Mar 17 2013, 8:00a
    Stay connected for news and updates Follow @TurfShowTimes

USA TODAY Sports

Jake Long isn't the only tackle in the free agent market. New England's Sebastian Vollmer, Cincy's Andre Smith, KC's Eric Winston, & the Raven's Brian McKinnie are some tackles left that are worth some looks.

The St. Louis Rams started off the 2013 free agency by targeting one of the biggest names out there: left tackle Jake Long.

After days of courtship – and stacks of steak dinner bills – Long seemingly just teased the Rams and tricked them into free meals. So with things not looking so good, I thought it'd be a good idea to take a look at some formidable options at tackle.

**Writer's note: I used the Pro Football Focus player grades as references. I don't know what criteria they use to arrive at their ratings, so don't blame me.**

Sebastian Vollmer
    2012 Grade: +28.2

New England's Sebastian Vollmer is my favorite among the free agent tackles. For starters, Vollmer is relatively young; he will be 29 at the start of the season. He also brings some flexibility in terms of which side of the line he can play, having played five games at left tackle.

As a blocker, his strong suit is the passing game. He scored a +15.7 grade from PFF. He's also no slouch when it comes to opening up holes for running backs, he had a +5.8 rating in that regard.

Vollmer would be a very good consolation price for the Rams if they do not win the Long Sweepstakes.

Andre Smith
    2012 Grade: +26.9

Back the in '09 draft, the Rams chose to go with another Smith (first name Jason) over the Alabama-product. His disappearance during the combine and certain character issues allowed him to slide – gasp! – to the No. 6 spot to the Cincinnati Bengals. Looking back, the Rams chose the wrong Smith – Jason is also a free agent, but I doubt he gets any phone calls.

Smith is an above average tackle, and as a right tackle he's perfect. His strength is run blocking. He is a mauler. PFF gives him a run blocking rating of +10.6. He has a +13.7 pass blocking rating, which is good. He isn't the best at pass protection but, at right tackle, that is not what team's look for.

Character concerns can drive his price down, which is a good thing for a team like the Rams. With coach Fisher and offensive line coach Paul Boudreau, I doubt Smith's issues will be a problem.

Eric Winston
    2012 Grade: +15.0

During last year's free agency period, the Rams pursued Winston. He, instead, chose the Kansas City Chiefs. Fast forward a year and Winston finds himself in search of a new team (again) after being released.

Winston does a little bit of everything; He has a pass blocking grade of +8.0 and a run blocking grade of +8.8.

Fisher & Co. kicked the Eric Winston tires a year ago. Wonder if the team will be interested this time around.

Bryant McKinnie
    2012 Grade: +5.6

McKinnie is the oldest of the group at 33 years old. So, obviously, he is just a stop gap solution at the tackle position.

His PFF grade is reflective of his seldom use during the regular season. He really didn't start playing almost all the offensive snaps until the last week of the regular season. He played a vital role on the Raven's road to the title. He grades better at pass blocking (+2.3) than as a run blocker (+1.5)
    BarronWade likes this.

Semper Fi!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: FA OT alternatives

I go in that order too. I give the nod to Vollmer because Andre had some weight issues and also held out for a bigger rookie contract, doesn't show someone who I'd really want on my team. He was spectacular this past season though.
    lostsoul and Haste like this.

THE DREAM TEAM

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I don't know if I necessarily like Andre Smith the person, but I know Fisher can handle these guys. Plus, Boudreau will get him playing at a Pro Bowl level

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I go in that order too. I give the nod to Vollmer because Andre had some weight issues and also held out for a bigger rookie contract, doesn't show someone who I'd really want on my team. He was spectacular this past season though.
    Not only that but Vollmer has the edge over Andre for me because I can't get that horrible picture out of my mind from his NFL combine when he displayed his man boob 40 run.

I think he invented the Harlem Shake with his 40 run.
    lostsoul and Vinnie25 like this.

Mod please delete this post.
    Last edited by sosa39rams; -03-17-2013 at 06:32 PM.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I don't know if I necessarily like Andre Smith the person, but I know Fisher can handle these guys. Plus, Boudreau will get him playing at a Pro Bowl level
    Andre Smith was the best RT in the league this past year. There is nowhere to go but down, so Boudreau isn't really needed.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    Not only that but Vollmer has the edge over Andre for me because I can't get that horrible picture out of my mind from his NFL combine when he displayed his man boob 40 run.

I think he invented the Harlem Shake with his 40 run.
    Couldn't care less about this. I respect the guy for not giving a damn and running without his shirt anyways.
    lostsoul likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I trust Winston with a contract much more than I do Andre Smith whom was lazy for his first two years and the figured he should finally play up to his potential because he needed to go get a new contract. Vollmer's probably the top of my list though due to his versatility.
    I believe!