• Wes Welker, Patriots (31): 92 receptions, 1,064 yards, 4 TDs

3 6.38%
  • Ramses Barden, Giants (26): 14 receptions, 220 yards, 0 TDs

0 0%
  • Kevin Ogletree, Cowboys (25): 26 receptions, 362 yards, 3 TDs

0 0%
  • Someone else (who?)

1 2.13%
  • None of the above (draft a WR instead)

7 14.89%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Which FA WR (other than Danny Amendola) Should The Rams Pursue?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Which FA WR (other than Danny Amendola) Should The Rams Pursue?

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    we don't know the Rams cap situation so I don't see how any of us could say signing a big play receiver will stop us from resigning Jackson.
    Why would you say we don't know it?

We know what it is. what we don't know is if they will restructure deals to create more cap space. From the sound of it the Rams will have enough to add two nice FA not a top dollar player. The new regime will not mortgage our future by back loading contracts, we seen that act before.

Kevin Demoff: I think “cap space” can be misleading. Yes, we are one of the teams with less cap room this year than most, but we also went into the season planning to be at or near the bottom in cap space in order to preserve future cap space.

I know many fans ask why we haven’t restructured contracts to free up more “cap space” and the answer is simple — we don’t need any more in 2012. We always try to go into a season with roughly $3m of space to handle injuries and contingency plans (trades, signings, etc) and right now we are exactly at that number. When we signed Finnegan, Wells and Langford, we wrote the contracts in such a way as to take a normal salary cap hit in 2012 and not defer cap dollars into the future. This will allow us to re-sign our own players and add an impact FA or two every season.

The plan is to make sure we have as little signing bonus allocation as possible moving forward to give us greater roster flexbility. The salary cap is like a credit card, you can either pay it off as you go or you can make the minimum payments knowing you will have to pay in the future. We plan to pay it off as we go. We want to extend our key players and add quality free agents but always with an eye to the future. We are fortunate to have a number of young players under the new rookie salary system with multiple first rounders to come. We want to make sure we have adequate cap space in 2015 and beyond to pay those players as well. By the end of 2014, we will have 12 first or second rounders on the roster under the new rookie system and they will all start coming up for contracts, and we want to have the ability to keep that nucleus together. That’s why we will try to absorb as much of the salary cap charges as possible for the current roster.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    But, it won't happen because the first two are going to cost big.
    Yeah, that's the hang-up. My thought process is this...

Should they sign an impact WR in free agency? Yes.

Will they sign an impact WR in free agency? Probably not.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Why would you say we don't know it?

We know what it is. what we don't know is if they will restructure deals to create more cap space. From the sound of it the Rams will have enough to add two nice FA not a top dollar player. The new regime will not mortgage our future by back loading contracts, we seen that act before.
    Signing one big time WR is not going to mortgage the future of the club.

We don't know what guys will or will not be kept and we have no idea how much we will offer Jackson(I don't see anyway we offer him more than 3 million a year).

We also don't know how much money we'll save with Jason Smith gone, Jackson probably gone and maybe cutting Mikell.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I selected Bowe, but I'm hoping that we see Brian Quick develop into the WR he's capable of being. I can be talked out of signing a WR free agent easily because I think we can spend that money elsewhere on this team.

I'm not a huge fan of FA providing the quick fixes that many hope for. I look at the Vincent Jackson signing of earlier this year and think Tampa spent a lot of money for a player that is putting up good numbers but they are still 6-6. I understand there is much more than a WR for a good record, but look at the money they tied up in that spot. Not worth it in my opinion.

Go Rams!

Signing one big time WR is not going to mortgage the future of the club.

We don't know what guys will or will not be kept and we have no idea how much we will offer Jackson(I don't see anyway we offer him more than 3 million a year).

We also don't know how much money we'll save with Jason Smith gone, Jackson probably gone and maybe cutting Mikell.
    Once again we know that all ready.
    Jason Smith Trade Analysis: Contract And Salary Cap

The following is an analysis of Jason Smith’s contract and the trade between the Jets and Rams:

Smith originally signed a six-year $61 million contract ($33 million guaranteed) after being drafted in 2009 which included a second year $16.3 million option bonus. When an option bonus is exercised it is prorated, like a signing bonus, over the life of the contract, five years maximum under the current CBA (was six), so Smith’s bonus counted $3.267 million on the 2010-14 caps. While the player receives the full bonus amount ($16.3 m) during that year for salary cap purposed it gets spread out.

In April of 2012 Smith agreed to restructure his contract changing his salary in 2012 from $10 million to $4 million guaranteed with a $500,000 roster bonus a $5.5 million savings. His non-guaranteed 2013 salary of $12 million was reduced to $750,000 with a roster bonus of $11.25 million due on the first day of the league year, about mid March, and his prorated bonus of $3.267 million is still included on the Rams cap so a $15.267 million 2013 cap hit.

A big bonus due early in the year forces the team to release a player quickly so he can become available on the open market. An additional clause voids Smith’s 2013 contract year if he plays over 31% of the team’s offensive snaps in the 2012 season. Basically Smith, not technically, is under a one year contract, and if released or hits the playing incentive becomes a free agent who cannot be franchised.

Smith’s 2014 contract year was voided thus the prorated portion of his option bonus that counted in 2014 was pushed onto the 2012 cap. So before the trade Smith counted $11.035 million on the St. Louis Rams cap: $4.5 salary/bonus + $6.535 million prorated bonus.

The Jets and the Rams agreed to trade Wayne Hunter for Jason Smith but teams can only trade for a player’s future salary/bonuses any prorated money or past payment will count on the trading teams cap. What about Tim Tebow didn’t the Jets pay the Broncos salary which was already paid? The Jets repaid portion of Tebow’s salary advance, which was still considered future pay, even though he had received payment already,

A problem with the trade was Hunter’s salary $2.45 million guaranteed in 2012 and Smith’s $4 million with the Rams already having paid the $500,000 roster bonus a difference of $1.55 million. To alleviate this difference Smith restructures his contract just before the trade to receive a $1.55 million signing bonus, which is paid by the Rams prorated ($775,000) on 2012/13 caps, lowering his 2012 base salary to $2.45 million that gets paid by the Jets over the season. Now the 2012 money is equal and the Rams lose Smith’s contract and acquire Wayne Hunter’s which runs through 2014 but contains no guaranteed money after this season (‘13: $4 million, ’14: $3 million).

So how did the trade affect both teams’ cap? Since the trade took place after June 1st the prorated portion of Smith’s contract is broken up over two years. The Rams now have dead money hit, money which counts on the salary cap for a player who is no longer with the team, for Smith of $7.81 million ($6.534 million prorated bonus + $775,000 million prorated signing bonus + $500,000 roster bonus) and adding Hunter’s salary $2.45 million means Smith/Hunter count $10.26 million on the Rams 2012 cap, a $775,000 savings.

The Jets lose Hunter’s salary and gain Smith’s new salary so their 2012 cap does not change but their overall 2013 salary increases $8 million; gain Smith’s 2013 salary/bonus $12 million, lose Hunter’s $4 million salary. The Rams save $7.225 million in 2013, lose Smith’s $12 million salary adding Hunter’s $4 million but have dead money hit of $4.042 million, a $775,000 increase due to prorated signing bonus, for Smith in 2013.

If the trade took place before June 1st the prorated money would have accelerated onto the Rams 2012 cap and Smith would count $11.852 million dead money in 2012 but none in 2013. Hunter had no prorated money but was paid a $50,000 workout bonus by the Jets and will count as dead money against their 2012 cap.

The Rams acquire Hunter’s $3 million 2014 salary while the Jets lose Hunter’s salary gaining increased cap space that year but both teams can get out of either contract after the 2012 season saving the player’s entire salary under the cap.
    By Ryan Van Bibber on Nov 11

The St. Louis Rams have some free agent business to attend to during the offseason, including re-signing Danny Amendola.

The St. Louis Rams will have Danny Amendola back in action this week, with just eight games left in the 2012 season. In a couple months, the Rams will have to grapple with the question of whether or not the wide receiver will be in uniform for the 2013 season. Hint: it's probable.

Amendola is ticketed for unrestricted free agency after this season. Rams Executive VP Kevin Demoff said recently that the team plans to sign him to a long-term deal before he hits free agency. He also said that the team projects to be $7-10 million under the salary cap heading into next season.

That's a decent amount of cap space to work with next season, and the details of Demoff's projections aren't clear. For instance, does that include the Steven Jackson contract situation? Jackson can opt out of the final, $7 million year of his deal or the Rams could nix it.

Extensions for Chris Long and James Laurinaitis will cost the Rams $13.25 million for the defensive end and $1 million plus an $11 million roster bonus for the linebacker. Sam Bradford's deal pays him $9 million next year.

Amendola is the most notable free agent next year, but there are a couple other names to consider. Cornerback Bradley Fletcher's deal is up after the season. With the kind of season he's having, Fletcher could very well command a solid mid-tier contract on the market next year. Don't forget, Steve Spagnuolo and the Saints need corners. Brandon Gibson is also a free agent in 2013.

Kevin Demoff was kind enough to tell the fans what we look like going into next year. We know the numbers. Unless we redo contracts and back load them this is what we have.

You can hold out hope that we have bank but we don't. Sorry...

I wish we did.
    Last edited by Rambos; -12-07-2012 at 09:45 PM.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    I selected Bowe, but I'm hoping that we see Brian Quick develop into the WR he's capable of being. I can be talked out of signing a WR free agent easily because I think we can spend that money elsewhere on this team.

I'm not a huge fan of FA providing the quick fixes that many hope for. I look at the Vincent Jackson signing of earlier this year and think Tampa spent a lot of money for a player that is putting up good numbers but they are still 6-6. I understand there is much more than a WR for a good record, but look at the money they tied up in that spot. Not worth it in my opinion.

Go Rams!
    The Bucs were a 4-12 team last year so being 6-6 and in the playoff hunt is a pretty huge improvement for them. They were also the 27th ranked offense in 2011 and are currently the 4th ranked offense this season. I think everyone in the Bucs organization is pretty happy with Vincent Jackson and if given the chance I think they would repeat the decision to sign him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Once again we know that all ready.

Kevin Demoff was kind enough to tell the fans what we look like going into next year. We know the numbers. Unless we redo contracts and back load them this is what we have.

You can hold out hope that we have bank but we don't. Sorry...

I wish we did.
    Yeah I was wrong about Smith but the following sentence states
    That's a decent amount of cap space to work with next season, and the details of Demoff's projections aren't clear. For instance, does that include the Steven Jackson contract situation? Jackson can opt out of the final, $7 million year of his deal or the Rams could nix it.

So maybe we do know how much trading Smith will save us but, like it stated, we don't know how much letting Jackson go will save us. Hunter also has a couple years left on his contract at over 3 million per year so we'll probably let him go and Mikell is also another guy who could be let go.

Combined Jackson, Hunter and Mikell make almost 16 million. Obviously we have no idea how much we'll save from letting any of them go but it will probably be quite a bit.

Plus time and time again we've seen teams who don't have a ton of cap space sign impact free agents. Kevin Demoff is considered one of the best at reworking deals and making the most of cap space so I disagree that we won't have enough cap space to sign an impact player. With Demoff at the helm, us unsure of how much money letting go Jackson will save us and with a few players who clearly aren't playing up to their contracts I see it quite possible we could make a splash.

Yeah I was wrong about Smith but the following sentence states

So maybe we do know how much trading Smith will save us but, like it stated, we don't know how much letting Jackson go will save us. Hunter also has a couple years left on his contract at over 3 million per year so we'll probably let him go and Mikell is also another guy who could be let go.

Combined Jackson, Hunter and Mikell make almost 16 million. Obviously we have no idea how much we'll save from letting any of them go but it will probably be quite a bit.

Plus time and time again we've seen teams who don't have a ton of cap space sign impact free agents. Kevin Demoff is considered one of the best at reworking deals and making the most of cap space so I disagree that we won't have enough cap space to sign an impact player. With Demoff at the helm, us unsure of how much money letting go Jackson will save us and with a few players who clearly aren't playing up to their contracts I see it quite possible we could make a splash.
    I think we will land and impact player or two. Just not the most expensive players. Amendola is an impact player and one of our own. KD has stated they are already trying to get him signed. You can write off SJax if you want but he is still in play.

You are aware of a cap hits right? Just because you let a player go does not mean you have more cap space that year. We could take a hit on players we let go.

Plus time and time again we've seen teams who don't have a ton of cap space sign impact free agents.
    That's true but KD is saying we want to retain our own they are the priority of the new regime. The bottom line is we don't have much space per KD and he has stated we will be conservative planning to sign our younger players that will be coming up for new deals. We need to have a huge cap when that happens.

You can hold out hope for Wallace... I don't see how we can a sign a guy who turned down 50 million last year.

Haste is offline Registered User

While all of the top FA Wr's this off season are good, they are not 'top tier' as a number 1 receiver. Jennings, Wallace, and Bowe also have question marks, whether due to injury concerns or character concerns. (Bowe may have broken his ribs and on his way to IR as well)

Given the option of the three, I would take Bowe, Jennings, then Wallace in that order.

I think we would be better off believing in our young guys to develop and re-sign DA. Here me out on this suggestion but.....

I think our next 'Steve Smith' spot should be someone who can be easily had at vet min and save our cap room: Chad Johnson. He will have the drive to prove himself and will push the younger receivers on the team. He can take a mentor role in a sense and teach them his skills to help them out on the finer points in route running, getting inside the Db's heads, and foot placement. I believe Fisher would be able to control him without letting him become 'strapped down' like he was in New England.

With the savings from not spending on a #1 Wr, we can go after high targets in other positions of need. We should go after someone like Andy Levitre from Buffalo and get some good replacements for the select defensive positions in need.

Quote Originally Posted by Haste View Post
    While all of the top FA Wr's this off season are good, they are not 'top tier' as a number 1 receiver. Jennings, Wallace, and Bowe also have question marks, whether due to injury concerns or character concerns. (Bowe may have broken his ribs and on his way to IR as well)

Given the option of the three, I would take Bowe, Jennings, then Wallace in that order.

I think we would be better off believing in our young guys to develop and re-sign DA. Here me out on this suggestion but.....

I think our next 'Steve Smith' spot should be someone who can be easily had at vet min and save our cap room: Chad Johnson. He will have the drive to prove himself and will push the younger receivers on the team. He can take a mentor role in a sense and teach them his skills to help them out on the finer points in route running, getting inside the Db's heads, and foot placement. I believe Fisher would be able to control him without letting him become 'strapped down' like he was in New England.

With the savings from not spending on a #1 Wr, we can go after high targets in other positions of need. We should go after someone like Andy Levitre from Buffalo and get some good replacements for the select defensive positions in need.
    So rather than adding a #1 receiver like the 26 year old Mike Wallace (when you average over 1,000 yards a season and you are your team's top option then you're a #1) to upgrade the Rams' 29th ranked offense, you think it would be a better decision to add a receiver who will be 35 next year who will be a huge distraction. 6 years ago adding Chad might have been a good idea but he appears to not have it anymore as his 276 yard season with the Patriots showed.

It was sad to watch Chad, who was one of my favorite players for a long time, get shut down by 4th string corner Michael Coe in the Superbowl and he appears to be done in the NFL even though I wish he could still be servicable. I also don't understand how you can think Bowe, Jennings or Wallace aren't worth the money because of "character concerns" but Chad is a viable option when he was recently arrested for beating his wife.

This offense needs playmakers and going 3 years without giving Bradford anyone to throw to isn't acceptable and settling for more Steve Smith and Mike Sims-Walker guys isn't going to cut it.
    THOLTFAN81 and Vinnie25 like this.

Haste is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    So rather than adding a #1 receiver like the 26 year old Mike Wallace (when you average over 1,000 yards a season and you are your team's top option then you're a #1) to upgrade the Rams' 29th ranked offense, you think it would be a better decision to add a receiver who will be 35 next year who will be a huge distraction. 6 years ago adding Chad might have been a good idea but he appears to not have it anymore as his 276 yard season with the Patriots showed.

It was sad to watch Chad, who was one of my favorite players for a long time, get shut down by 4th string corner Michael Coe in the Superbowl and he appears to be done in the NFL even though I wish he could still be servicable. I also don't understand how you can think Bowe, Jennings or Wallace aren't worth the money because of "character concerns" but Chad is a viable option when he was recently arrested for beating his wife.

This offense needs playmakers and going 3 years without giving Bradford anyone to throw to isn't acceptable and settling for more Steve Smith and Mike Sims-Walker guys isn't going to cut it.

I understand that not getting a top #1 Wr for Bradford for 3 years is bad, but if we fail to land those 3, we need to use that big money to fill our other holes on the team. With Wallace, Givens may turn out to be that player for much cheaper, or we could get him and have a good duo with DA working the inside.

A player like Chad does have character concerns too obviously, but much less risk at vet min. We need one vet Wr to help polish the younger guys.

If we get one of our top 3 targets at Wr, then it will be awesome. We will finally get to see if Bradford can go to the next level. But we still need a replacement for a guy like Steve Smith at a cheap price.

Whatever happens in the offseason, I'm sure we will be pretty excited as any direction they go in can shore up our holes in defense more or get us a big Wr target for Bradford.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Dwayne Bowe or pick up Jared Cook and draft a WR

yeah Ochocinco is washed up. Don't see why anyone would want him. Either grab Bowe, Jennings or Wallace or draft a WR(yes again) in rounds 1 or 2.

If we do draft one I like Hunter, Patterson or Hopkins in round 2.(want OL and TE/S/OLB in round 1).

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Which FA WR (other than Danny Amendola) Should The Rams Pursue?

I think getting Bowe or Jennings would be ideal. Guys like Gibson and Pettis will suddenly be open because the D doesn't know who to cover: SJax? Bowe/Jennings? Amendola? Givens?

Personally, I'm calling it the Laurent Robinson effect. Look at what an animal he was in Dallas, but now he's back to a similar situation he had here. Simply put: getting our o-line in order and having a true big body #1 WR will do wonders for this offense.
    jmk321 likes this.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    I think getting Bowe or Jennings would be ideal. Guys like Gibson and Pettis will suddenly be open because the D doesn't know who to cover: SJax? Bowe/Jennings? Amendola? Givens?

Personally, I'm calling it the Laurent Robinson effect. Look at what an animal he was in Dallas, but now he's back to a similar situation he had here. Simply put: getting our o-line in order and having a true big body #1 WR will do wonders for this offense.
    Very true about Robinson. The same goes for Avery on the Colts with Reggie Wayne playing alongside him. It looks like we were all right when we said the Rams had good #2 receivers on the roster a couple years ago.
    Varg6 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast